Iraqis give up on surge policy goal

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by solvs, Oct 9, 2007.

1. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Top Iraqis Pull Back From Key U.S. Goal

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/10/07/AR2007100701448.html

In other news, yet more proof we're still making things worse, for us and them:

Report says war on terror is fueling al Qaeda

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071008...hanistan_dc;_ylt=AoyKB8Lv7Di3hEW3MyzSQ5qs0NUE

That one's pretty self explanatory.

2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Split it up into 3 states, Sunni,Shia and Kurd give it a central authority to divide up its oil profits and bingo we are done. Bush's insistance that the 3 are kept together is stubborn stupidness.

The 3 major powers arent interested in democracy and if there is any group we should support its the Kurds in my view. Why BushCo cant see this is beyond me.

3. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Why is it so hard to understand that decades of installing puppet regimes, backing coups, cloak and dagger politics and broadly generalizing peoples and nations as "evil" is going to get you thrown out of your own party?

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Wow, we better give that splurge time to work. I mean, just look at all this progress!

5. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I would say a 100 years would do little, afterall the Shia & Sunni have been fighting each other for over a 1,000 yrs. Bush Co ignores this little truth. Just apply some spin ........ These guys arent interested just like Bush Co arent interested in keeping out millions of illegals in this country.

6. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I don't think it's going to be quite as easy as "bingo", but the basic idea makes sense.

And you gotta love those constantly lowered expectations. We went from invading a "terrorist" nation with WMDs to "saving" the Iraqi people from Saddam. We went from battling the insurgents to settling for making a few neighborhoods safer. We went from a unity government to hoping we can just find some way for the three factions to live together without slaughtering each other.

That's progress, my friends!

And yet no one's been able to explain it to Bush.

7. solvs thread starter macrumors 603

solvs

I was expecting more people in here talking about how the surge is working, and how we have to stop those terrorists because of 9/11 or whatever.

Guess most of them aren't even going to bother anymore.