Ireland's Blasphemy Law

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by barkomatic, Jan 2, 2010.

1. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Apparently, it is now illegal to utter or publish anything that any religion would find offensive in Ireland. In fact, you can now be fined $35,000 for doing so. An Irish atheist group has published a list of 25 quotations in an attempt to challenge the law.

I can't believe a law like this actually got passed--its so obviously oppressive.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/europe/01/02/ireland.blasphemy.law/index.html

2. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Sounds absurdly medieval... I'm surprised they're not flogging the blasphemers, piercing their tongues with hot irons, and making them galley slaves as was done in the good ol' days of the Dark Ages.

3. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

I wonder what IntheNet's view on these blasphemy laws is.

4. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Do you suppose the Jewish will be suing all Catholic denominations for the blasphemy perpetrated by that scoundrel Jesus?

5. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

That law is pretty scary, particularly coming from Europe. Interesting, from a historical point of view, that Ireland—which Rome never conquered—still clings to the Roman religion so strongly.

6. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Oddly enough, and despite the First Amendment to the United States Constitution, there are several US states that still have blasphemy laws or ordinances against blasphemy. Wikipedia has an article on the subject of Blasphemy law in the United State which notes the last U.S. conviction for blasphemy occurred as late as 1928, and also mentions how a Pennsylvania law against blasphemy enacted in 1977 was used in 2007 to rejected a business incorporation "because a business name 'may not contain words that constitute blasphemy, profane cursing or swearing or that profane the Lord’s name.'"

7. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

It's a pointless piece of legislation whose real purpose was to try to distract people from the economic issues facing the country, and the political and social corruption that caused it. When they are swept from power in the next election it will be repealed quite quickly I'd imagine

There's been an effort to whip up fundamentalism and division in society a la George Bush politics going on over here for the last while. I seem to remember a piece in the paper that the ruling party here engaged Bush's former PR consultants as advisors a year or two ago, so if that's the case, it's harly surprising.

There is a blasphemy provision in our Constitution, but no legislation up to now, so it's been ineffective (just the way people were happy to have it).

8. blurredline macrumors 6502

blurredline

My favorite bumper sticker:

"Blasphemy is a victimless crime."