iRig & GarageBand - TONS of noise with distorted amps

Discussion in 'iPad' started by bunger, May 13, 2011.

1. bunger macrumors 6502

I had read some posts that said the iRig produced a bit of noise, but holy smokes! When I selected any of the "Distortion" amps through GB, it just howls! I have to really crank up the Noisegate to quiet it down.

Is this pretty common and why?

2. poloponies Suspended

The iRig is an analog solution that's susceptible to line noise. Something like the Apogee Jam is a better alternative for recording. It's a digital solution through the dock connector:

http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/jam.php

3. Beardy man macrumors 6502

zombie thread!

I have iRig/Garageband on an iPad 2 and it works well enough for my needs.

I've recently got an iPad3 but the noise levels are way over what I get with the iPad2.

I think it's a Garageband problem because when I use the Amplitude software I get no appreciable noise at all.

Anyone else finding this? Perhaps I should try re-installing Garageband on the iPad3?

4. Macman45 macrumors G5

Macman45

Amplitude knocks spots off Gargeband. Far better support too. Been using it a while now, and in the studio. A great tool.

5. Beardy man macrumors 6502

I'll agree with that but I haven't played with the Amplitude software at all apart from comparing the sound quality to Garageband.

It's so easy to create or import backing tracks into Garageband - I haven't looked to see if it's as easy (or even possible ) in the Amplitude stuff.