Ironically, 2010 Census results favors Republicans

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MyDesktopBroke, Jul 23, 2010.

1. MyDesktopBroke macrumors 6502

Did anyone ever look at the results?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_United_States_Census

Yeah, it's Wikipedia, but I looked around and saw basically the same thing: Typically red states (Texas, Georgia, South Carolina, Arizona, and lesser ones like Florida) are gaining a handful of seats in the House of Representatives in the coming years, while typically blue states (New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts, as well as lesser ones like Michigan) are losing them.

The full list is in the link.

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Particularly in FL, AZ, and TX, I don't think the population increases necessarily favor the GOP. :)

3. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

does not matter what party the new people vote for because of the geromanderying those states will do.
    We have relativily little choice over which party our represeitive is.

It is safe to say that TX will have another GOP congressmen. Same as FL. As long as the GOP control those states that will be the end result.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Fixed that for you.

5. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I realize that gerrymandering is the way thing are, but at some point that ceases to be an effective solution to the problem.

6. MyDesktopBroke thread starter macrumors 6502

Four. Texas gets four new votes, while New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts, and Pennsylvania each lose one. Basically a -8 net loss for Democrats just from Texas alone. Health care reform wouldn't have passed with those numbers, and now that Harry Reid has killed climate reform for this Congress, it looks like there won't be any meaningful legislation on that front for at least a decade.

In fact, with all the blue does keeping their seats, it looks like no matter what happens this November, conservatives (from both parties) will have taken back the House by 2012.

But I see Minnesota lost a seat. Pleeeaaasssee let that be Bachman's seat.

7. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Well due to Texas having a below average response to the census they were shorted 1 more seat. They should of gotten 5. but besides the lost seat Texas and other board states get screwed out of a lot of funding because they are under counted.
    Southern California is hurt pretty badly but under counting.