Irrefutable Proof The Civil War Was About Slavery

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by iBlazed, Feb 4, 2015.

1. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

For some reason that I don't understand, modern day conservatives like to argue that the Civil War had causes other than slavery. It was about "state's rights". This article thoroughly destroys that argument. I've actually seen this debate transpire here on PRSI in the past. Sad part is that a full 48% of Americans think the war was over state's rights, and even sadder is those numbers are driven by young people under 30. 60% of those under 30 believe slavery had nothing to do with the civil war. Here is the non-revisionist version of history...

Article

2. TPadden macrumors 6502a

Then, here's a non-revisionist quote from President Lincoln's first inaugeral address:

I declare that "I have no purpose, directly or indirectly, to interfere with the institution of slavery in the States where it exists. I believe I have no lawful right to do so, and I have no inclination to do so."

http://www.ushistory.org/documents/lincoln1.htm

Also significantly, this was not the first time that the people of South Carolina had discussed secession. During the debate over tariffs in the 1830s, South Carolina seriously considered secession. Additionally Four slave states -- Delaware, Maryland, Missouri, and Kentucky -- did not succeed from the Union. Guess maybe there might have been non-revisionist reasons other than slavery .....

3. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Actions speak louder than words. But sure, ignore the mountain of evidence listed above.

4. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

civilwar.org

5. TPadden macrumors 6502a

You throw out terms like "mountain of evidence" and "irrefutable proof" and come to a very wrong conclusion that there were no other causes for the civil war.

I agree no one will argue that slavery wasn't one of the primary drivers but it is neither irrefutable nor does a mountain of proof exist that there were no other causes.

6. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

The Civil War started when the Kaiser and North Vietnam bombed Pearl Harbor.

Amazing how some people don't know their own history.

7. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

I thought it was only the Germans that bombed Pearl Harbor? Are you are saying the Vietnamese were evolved as well?

8. giantfan1224 macrumors 6502a

giantfan1224

If it's so irrefutable then why even post it to a debate forum? You might as well also start a thread titled "Water is Wet" if it's so clear cut and if you're going to be so close-minded about others' opinions.

9. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Water is not wet, until something or someone makes contact with it.

10. giantfan1224 macrumors 6502a

giantfan1224

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

11. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

It's kinda sad that anyone thinks the U.S. civil war wasn't about slavery. It's a bit like the Germans denying the Holocaust or the Japanese denying the Rape of Nanking.

12. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

When has any War been about only One single thing? It usually is a growing list of disagreements that build over time and then their is an issue or an event that pushes it to the breaking point.

To say it was started(or was about) because of ONLY X or Y is not logical.

13. giantfan1224 macrumors 6502a

giantfan1224

It appears to be more a ploy to attack conservatives.

14. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Ok, fine, the primary cause for the war was slavery.

----------

Please.

I wouldn't be able to use it to "attack" conservatives in Germany, as they hold sensible views on the holocaust.

If conservatives hold completely naive views on history then they deserve to be criticised for it. It shouldn't be that this is remotely controversial.

15. giantfan1224 macrumors 6502a

giantfan1224

My point is the OP trying to make something controversial that isn't, in an attempt to attack conservatives.

16. kds1 Suspended

kds1

Wow. So Texas has been a nut job state since well.....forever :eek:

That was really amazing to read.

17. Mousse, Feb 4, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2015

Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

History is written by the winner. If the South had succeeded in seceding, the history books would tell how the State threw off the shackles of an oppressive federal government.

The primary cause of the Civil War was the seditious Southern States seceding from the Union. Preserving the United States as single country was the primary objective. Freeing the slaves, the most important secondary objective, became an issue by the middle of the war. The Civil War started in 1861. Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation was in 1863.

Anyhow, I hope you win the next war. History would be an interesting read.

18. noodlemanc macrumors regular

noodlemanc

A lot of them did, I'm pretty sure.

19. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

It all tied in nicely and it's no secret- States Rights: it's our right to have slavery if we economically depend on the institution and culturally want to have it. In the 1960s it was our State's right to discriminate against blacks on multiple levels. Lately it's been our States rights to protect marriage as we see fit and to discriminate against citizens who live what is considered alternate and scorned life styles.

Bottom line State's rights are used to maintain an exemption from majority standards. A good philosophical discussion, if a majority in a State belive in discrimination, should they be exempt from Federal standards, ie majority rule?

20. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Yep. And that's one of the reasons I don't like Japanese culture.

But that denial also damages Japan's relationship with its neighbours. Even though in other ways Japan is a good neighbourhood citizen. (e.g who paid the most to restore Angkor Wat and who gave the low interest loans for the Delhi metro? Japan in both cases)

21. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

It's not me that's making it controversial. Look at the polls on the topic.

22. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

One could make a case that Eli Whitney was the cause of the Civil War.

The cotton gin made it possible to process cotton at a rate much faster than ever before. But the bastard didn't invent a way to PICK it faster.

Michael

23. giantfan1224 macrumors 6502a

giantfan1224

On the subject of the main cause of the Civil War, the Pew Research Center Poll does not provide data on conservative vs. liberal vs. any other political persuasion. Yet you and the article you cited use it to attack conservatives.

24. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

According to this CNN poll it is primarily conservatives who don't believe slavery was the primary issue.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2011/04/12/civil-war-still-divides-americans/

25. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

An aggravating factor yes but certainly not the cause.