IRS apologizes for targeting conservative groups.

Zenithal

macrumors G3
Sep 10, 2009
Tax exempt statuses have always been exploited by small groups to escape taxes. Makes sense why the IRS went after them. The IRS targeted liberal groups, too. The IRS is one of the few arms of government that doesn't give a flying hoopty who you are. It just wants the money it's owed.

GermanSuplex

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2009
Yeah, taxpayers who make $50,000 a year wanting those who make 50 billion to pay the same share. What a tragedy. We really need to make the poor pay their fair share.

citizenzen

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2010
... it's clear the Dems were driving partisanship in multiple agencies that should have been politically neutral.
That's not clear at all from the results of all the hearings.

All they got was some mid-level bureaucrat from Cincinnati (IIRC).

Even the IRS Commissioner wasn't fired by trump and is being allowed to serve out his full five-year term.

So that's some scandal that got uncovered there. :rolleyes:

Zombie Acorn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
That's not clear at all from the results of all the hearings.

All they got was some mid-level bureaucrat from Cincinnati (IIRC).

Even the IRS Commissioner wasn't fired by trump and is being allowed to serve out his full five-year term.

So that's some scandal that got uncovered there. :rolleyes:
It's okay, they apologized. You can stop defending them.

citizenzen

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2010
http://thehill.com/policy/finance/199944-lerner-pleads-the-fifth-again?amp

Short term memory loss? They are now apologizing for what they were accused of doing.

How far up? In my opinion, Obama.
Your article mentions one person, an IRS Director in Cincinnati.

From your own source ...
Republicans have depicted Lerner as the center figure of a targeting scandal, where Tea Party groups were subjected to added scrutiny in an effort to squash their political efforts.
Your scandal doesn’t come close to Obama. And my memory is a lot more faithful than your partisan, over-active imagination.

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
Tax exempt statuses have always been exploited by small groups to escape taxes. Makes sense why the IRS went after them. The IRS targeted liberal groups, too. The IRS is one of the few arms of government that doesn't give a flying hoopty who you are. It just wants the money it's owed.
If they are apologizing for targeting certain conservative groups, it's not primarily taxes they are concerned about. But advancing a political agenda, undoubtedly a democrat agenda.

Reactions: ilovemykid3302012

Zombie Acorn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Your article mentions one person, an IRS Director in Cincinnati.

From your own source ...

Your scandal doesn’t come close to Obama. And my memory is a lot more faithful than your partisan, over-active imagination.
The source was to show one of the IRS heads pleading out so she didn't incriminate herself. And now they've issued an apology for their misdeeds. All I can say is it's about time.

Reactions: linuxcooldude

GermanSuplex

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2009
The source was to show one of the IRS heads pleading out so she didn't incriminate herself. And now they've issued an apology for their misdeeds. All I can say is it's about time.
I blame Trump. Pre-primary meddling to turn angry conservatives and America against their own party to vote for him. In my opinion, of course :rolleyes:

citizenzen

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2010
Wow. An apology? How damning.

You can’t even get a conviction of “the central figure.”
Trump DOJ declines to charge Lois Lerner, a key figure in IRS scandal

In a letter to members of Congress, the Justice Department said that "reopening the criminal investigation would not be appropriate based on the available evidence."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/politics/ct-lois-lerner-irs-doj-20170908-story.html
There’s your scandal. That’s why it only amounted to an apology.

Reactions: GermanSuplex

GermanSuplex

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2009
To be fair, I remember this story and it does seem like fringe left trying to interfere with political groups. No way this was on the federal level above any IRS officials though. I see this in the same light as the PA attorney general who bragged how his state ID voter laws would help Romney win the election.

It’s worth discussing, but when people say it’s Obama.... they lose credibility.

citizenzen

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2010
Personally, I would like to see some heads roll. It's all part of draining the swamp.
Perhaps you missed post #14 ...
Trump DOJ declines to charge Lois Lerner, a key figure in IRS scandal
"reopening the criminal investigation would not be appropriate based on the available evidence."
You want heads to roll when the evidence doesn't show that's appropriate?

What kind of justice are you into? Inappropriate justice? :confused:

GermanSuplex

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2009
Personally, I would like to see some heads roll. It's all part of draining the swamp.
The swamp was widened and deepened to a ****-filled lake under Trump. He’s wasting taxpayer dollars for his family at a break-neck pace, he’s fired staff not for wasting money, but getting caught, and his education secretary is a billionaire dumb-ass who has no business in her position. His energy secretary is the guy who wanted to dismantle the department he leads, but couldn’t even remember its name...

Zenithal

macrumors G3
Sep 10, 2009
If they are apologizing for targeting certain conservative groups, it's not primarily taxes they are concerned about. But advancing a political agenda, undoubtedly a democrat agenda.
I think you mean an American agenda. Ensuring groups seeking tax exempt status do indeed fit the bill for it. The IRS targeting of offshoot groups no one had heard about but sought tax exempt status or otherwise funny business has been blown out of proportion. For what it's worth, the Church of Scientology, which is hardly a church so much as it is a cult, fought the IRS for years to gain their tax exempt status. To think the IRS targets certain groups because they're conservative while ignoring that the IRS targeted liberal groups, too, is lunacy.

Furthermore, if Donald believes him picking a new IRS head will clean the slate of Obama era funny business, then he's wrong. All these branches of government have their own inner clique that works together with the other branches or works against them, regardless of who's sitting at 1600. Government is a big machine. Don't want to piss off parts of that machine. Especially when you'll be there for two terms at most. A president going up against lifelong politicians and government employees? Amusing.
[doublepost=1509174260][/doublepost]
What kind of justice are you into? Inappropriate justice? :confused:
ISIS-esque justice.

Reactions: citizenzen

FatherJack1980

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2015
This requires a source. Either Obama did it or he didn't.
Asking Trump supporters for sources for their claims is like asking Trump to stop behaving like a moronic lunatic (who is laughed at around the world, by the way; if Trump supporters still don't know that); it's just not going to happen

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
I think you mean an American agenda. Ensuring groups seeking tax exempt status do indeed fit the bill for it. The IRS targeting of offshoot groups no one had heard about but sought tax exempt status or otherwise funny business has been blown out of proportion. For what it's worth, the Church of Scientology, which is hardly a church so much as it is a cult, fought the IRS for years to gain their tax exempt status. To think the IRS targets certain groups because they're conservative while ignoring that the IRS targeted liberal groups, too, is lunacy.

Furthermore, if Donald believes him picking a new IRS head will clean the slate of Obama era funny business, then he's wrong. All these branches of government have their own inner clique that works together with the other branches or works against them, regardless of who's sitting at 1600. Government is a big machine. Don't want to piss off parts of that machine. Especially when you'll be there for two terms at most. A president going up against lifelong politicians and government employees? Amusing.
What's amusing is after the IRS admitted to wrong doing and apologizing we still have liberals defending tooth & nail. The jig is up. Accept that they did wrong and move on.

Reactions: ilovemykid3302012