IRS Employees Who Didn't Pay Taxes Got Bonuses

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by ucfgrad93, Apr 26, 2014.

1. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...s-bonuses-employees-delinquent-taxes/8012195/

These people should be fired not getting bonuses.

2. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

got a kick out of this the big bad IRS is after all just like everyone else.

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

4. ucfgrad93 thread starter macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

You don't think it is hypocritical to work for an agency that is responsible for enforcing tax laws while you are ignoring those very same laws?

"Do as I say, not as I do."

Its funny, but if a "family values" Republican gets caught cheating on his wife you and half the members here on all over him like white on rice. But IRS employees not paying taxes, not a big deal.:rolleyes:

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I think it's very hypocritical but last I looked, hypocrisy wasn't grounds for any punishment.

If said 'family values' Republican preached about his family values, then he deserves what he gets. "Do as I say, not as I do."

Where did I say paying taxes isn't a big deal?

6. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

I don't think there are enough facts here to say much, other than "ain't it awful?"

People get into tax trouble all the time for various reasons, often having to do with married couples and some business dealings of the spouse. We don't know how many of the people involved knowingly did not pay all their required taxes.

Stories like this are often a favorite of people who hate the Federal Income Tax. I think the F.I.T. was a great engine of progress in the mid 20th Century -- something that we have lost track of in recent decades under the constant barrage of propaganda by the Waltons and the Kochs et al.

7. ucfgrad93 thread starter macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Since you said that it was a private matter to pay your taxes and doesn't relate to their work at the IRS, I guess I read too much into it. My mistake.:rolleyes:

----------

From the article quoted earlier:

Employees' tax problems included "willful understatement of tax liabilities over multiple tax years, late payment of tax liabilities, and underreporting of income," the report said.

Yep, these poor unfortunate employees. They just had a "failure to communicate" with their spouses.

----------

It may have been, but at this time when 47% of Americans pay no Federal Income Taxes, the "great engine" needs an tune up.

8. ElectronGuru, Apr 26, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2014

ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

Yes, and police shouldn't get to park wherever they want without getting parking tickets. Yet they do. The question isn't if its wrong (it is), the question is how wrong. If IRS employees are not subject to the same laws as the rest of us (if there is a higher scrutiny), they would need to know that upon hiring.

And as a practical matter, we would end up paying more in higher salaries needed to find people willing to subject themselves to that scrutiny than we lost to the cheats in these cases. Though since they were measured, I'm assuming they were caught and therefore still have to pay, in which case I'm having trouble seeing the loss (?).

Here's the tax paying breakdown of population for each of several income tiers:

[​IMG]

Here are those same tiers, showing total income (population x earnings):

[​IMG]

All that red put together is only 11% of all income. They're called poor for a reason. If the goal is for them to pay more, they will need to earn more. Something does need fixing but the tax code is only one part of the problem.

9. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Much hay has been made of this fact, but it's clear that a large number of people aren't earning enough income to pay taxes as many are on social security or disability. Thus, forcing them to pay taxes isn't going to help them or the nation.

Hypocritical? Certainly, but it's an interesting problem. The rest of the 310,000 government employees can still receive bonus and vacation time whether or not they pay their taxes, just like the rest of America. However, IRS employees are judged based on their performance and their tax payments.

I would expect IRS employees, more than anyone else would know how to game the system and avoid paying taxes.

And, finally, it's worth noting that the reason we know about this problem is because of an internal audit from the Treasury's IG.

10. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

11. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I think his point was that they obviously know better given that they're employed by that agency. What I don't understand is why he would suggest firing them. They should just be required to pay it as anyone else would be. They can't claim ignorance, but the IRS doesn't care about policy ignorance anyway when it comes to making assessments.

12. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

You're right, the IRS should be investigation more deeply on people. Just as soon as they're done investigating less deeply into people as requested by the GOP to one Lois Lerner.

Can't please you guys. Either the IRS is overzealous and needs to be reigned in, or it's underzealous and needs to be more aggressive, depending on what the political need of the day is.

13. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
  14. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

We'll just have to agree to disagree about this. You know as well as I do that people making < $10K a year are going to get their $300 or $500 or whatever in withheld taxes back because of the Earned Income Credit. A lot of conservatives supported changing the tax laws to make sure that people with small incomes had a positive incentive to earn income. Now, you and Mitt Romney are trying to turn that around and make it a negative-- and, I admit that I find this particular argument particularly annoying. The people in this category who are not paying Federal Income Tax are poor-- it is that simple. They are still paying sales tax and property tax via rent. But, that doesn't make you happy?

Bottom line -- I not only flat out reject that argument, but, I find it morally repugnant. I don't object to the argument that everyone should pay at least $1 tax just so they are in the system. But, if poor people are getting their $300 or $500 of withholding back, they shouldn't be attacked for it.

15. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Here's a weird one coming from me. I do not think that the IRS should take any negative action against them as employees. As taxpayers, they should go after them just as they do everyone else but as employees? That matter doesn't have anything to do with their employment. If someone working for me, were to not pay their taxes, I wouldn't be allowed to terminate their employment for it. I'd simply follow the law and accounting would take the collection from their checks once it made it that far.

16. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

What are those disciplinary issues?

17. samiwas macrumors 65816

Almost, but not quite, as bad as rewarding failing CEOs with double-digit millions in salary. At least these bonuses seem to be very small, as in less than that CEO made before pouring his morning coffee.

18. turtle777 macrumors 6502a

You DO realize that your response is the epitome of irony ?

-t

19. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    They've not been publicized.

20. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Remind me again which branch the IRS falls under... And whom is in charge of that branch of the government? Just checking.

21. samiwas macrumors 65816

Rich guy uses every scam, con, hustle, hoodwink, gambit, flimflam, stratagem, and bamboozle possible to avoid millions in taxes, he's a patriot and a true American.

IRS worker who probably owes very little hides it and he should be fired and read the riot act.

Nope…no double standards up in here.

22. ucfgrad93 thread starter macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

23. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

You know. I kinda agree that those with outstanding disiplinary issues should probably miss out on bonuses.

24. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

If any of those employees are auditors, they should be fired for being incompetent. As an IRS auditor, they ought to know which red flags triggers an audit and can deftly hide their trail. The auditors who found those suspicious returns of IRS employees should gain a nice bonus. They can smoke out tax even the smarmiest of tax evaders.:D

The Tax Code is too complex and convoluted. In the spirit of KISS: get rid of ALL itemized deductions. Have one deduction to rule them all ($100,000 standard deduction:eek:). Everything above $100,000 is taxable income. For Business standard deduction of $1 billion to help out the small to medium businesses, the real job makers. No stinking outsources to other countries.