IRS put extra scrutiny on conservative groups

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jknight8907, May 12, 2013.

1. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

2. citizenzen macrumors 65816

The IRS should treat everyone fairly.

If they aren't, then they should do whatever is necessary to meet the standard of fair and unbiased treatment.

3. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Despite my previous statement I agree with this. (I still don't feel sympathy though).

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

They should have went after every 501c, from both sides.

5. Shrink, May 12, 2013
    Last edited: May 13, 2013

Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Agee ^^^

I wouldn't like it if they went after Planned Parenthood, or any other group I support. As much as I may disagree with the groups' ideals or actions, as long as they function within the law, then persecution by the IRS is, IMO, wrong.

6. jknight8907 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

How will you feel when it's your pet group they go after next?

7. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Conservatives already go after groups I support, this is just a taste of their own medicine.

8. jknight8907 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

What? 'Conservatives' can't make the IRS make your life hell. It's the circle of life that liberal groups torture conservative groups, and vice versa. But when the government starts playing favorites like this, it's a whole different thing.

9. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

These groups exist solely to whine about the IRS and paying taxes. It makes sense they'd get extra scrutiny from the IRS.

10. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

This is just retribution for the decades of the FBI targeting the commies and the hippies. :p

Equal application of the rules hould happen regardless of the political leanings of the party in power, or the organization being reviewed.

This, however, will fan the flames over at Fox for quite some time.

11. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    The IRS went after more than just "conservative" groups.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/13/politics/irs-conservative-targeting/index.html

The thought police are clearly out in full force.

12. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

If the IRS was doing this to planned parenthood or obama's organizing for action group, libs would be crying foul. Lots of sick in the head people here who don't care about this because it aligns with their political party. Pathetic.

13. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I hope this scandal does not go up any higher. As it is, it is outrageous that anybody in the IRS would act in a partisan way. I'm not a big fan of the IRS, for I believe they have too much power, but in general my past dealings with them have focused on their incompetence and meanness. The idea of the IRS becoming politicized is truly terrifying.

14. iMikeT, May 13, 2013
    Last edited: May 13, 2013

iMikeT macrumors 68020

I believe that all groups, despite of political leaning, should be treated fairly. However, CONservative groups exploit loopholes in the tax code far more than any political group.

The Tea Party for example is nothing more than an astroturf organization, a front if you will, that was set up by the real villains, the large corporations backed by the likes of the Koch brothers.

So is the IRS in the right for putting extra scrutiny here? I believe they have every right to do so and real conservatives should support the IRS's efforts. Turning a blind eye to CONservative organizations simply because they call themselves "conservative" while abusing our system is something true conservatives should be outraged at as giving these organizations a pass is cronyism at its best.

15. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

The problem with 501(c)4 groups is that they have the privilege of private lists of donors. On top of that, the rules governing their activities are not enforce nearly adequately (they are not supposed to exist as PACs but are expected to direct their funds toward community or charitable causes).

Why 501(c)4s should be allowed to have closed books of donors is beyond me. All money that goes into political activity needs to be 100% visible all the way to its original source, these rules must go away (yeah, I know, in my dreams).

16. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

That's an outrageous calumny and I demand you back it up with facts or retract it.

17. iMikeT, May 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2013

iMikeT macrumors 68020

Here in California, 2008's Prop 8 was spearheaded by CONservative groups aimed at denying same-sex couples from having the same rights as opposite sex couples.

Throughout "swing-states", CONservative groups are attempting to place laws that would deny minorities who are citizens the right to vote in elections.

After answering these guys, what I want to know is how you conservatives feel like you're being persecuted against when you're actually being conned by the powers that be, that is corporate interests? What sorts of rights do you as a conservative believe are being encroached on?

18. jknight8907 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

I guess liberals being in favor of restricting 2nd amendment rights and deleting the rights of unborn children don't count.

19. xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

Your second amendment right isn't be restricted. No amendment right is completely limitless. Don't be foolish.

20. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

why am i not surprised that people here feel that those that disagree with them deserve treatment like this...

21. jknight8907 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

There is no shortage of liberals who would prefer that the 2A be deleted entirely.

22. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

And those Conservatives would say they're fighting for the rights of those who think marriage should be between a man and a woman. It's your notions against their notions. Both have valid arguments.

As for American citizens who are minorities being denied the right to vote: Sources?

----------

But you agree that late term abortion is infanticide about half the time? Creating conditions where babies are killed must violate some right, wouldn't you say?

23. xShane, May 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2013

xShane macrumors 6502a

xShane

Just those that want it restricted as it rightly should be.

24. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

No organization should be put under extra scrutiny because of their political views. I can't believe how delusional some left wing members here are justifying these actions. Disgusting behavior like this is what divides the country.