Is £150 worth it between base & top 21.5"

Discussion in 'iMac' started by MrMister111, Nov 14, 2012.

1. MrMister111 macrumors 68000

So looking at new iMac base and top 21.5" the differences are 2.5GHz to 2.5GHz and graphics card 640M to 650M.

Is this worth an extra £150? The iMac is used for surfing, family use, iLife, iTunes, printing, office, general use, nothing demanding, no games etc.

Cheers

2. hideous cheese macrumors member

The price gap is £100 less than it used to be following the price bump of the low end model.

The additional processor power and better GPU will aid longevity of the machine so the further £150 over, say, 4 years life, is a marginal additional spend provided you are willing to pay that difference upfront.

This, of course, is assuming no other upgrades to the machine - more RAM in the low end model or more RAM/Fusion drive in the next one up.

Others might say that adding more RAM to the base model is a better use of the additional £100 than opting for the high end factory version.

I had budgeted £1250 so I'll be getting the high end (factory) 21.5 largely because I think it is the better value for money overall.

That said I won't place my order until iFixit have done a tear down and offered their opinion on the ease of user upgrades in the new design.