Is $1,800 a good deal for NiB 2.53GhZ i5?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Brandon263, May 8, 2010.

  1. Brandon263 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2009
    Location:
    Beaumont, CA
    #1
    Hey guys,

    I'm in the UK and just got an offer to buy a new and boxed 15-inch, 2.53GHz, i5 Macbook for £1260 ($1,865). Do you guys think its a good deal?

    Thanks for your help!
     
  2. Hellhammer Moderator

    Hellhammer

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2008
    Location:
    Finland
    #2
    It's 400£ off the UK price but only 150$ off the US price, so yeah it's good deal for YOU as you're in UK
     
  3. Link2999 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2008
    #3
    It's decent. That's about the exact price of the education pricing. (Savings of about $150USD) Actual US education pricing is $1849.00 before taxes.
     
  4. Brandon263 thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2009
    Location:
    Beaumont, CA
    #4
    Thanks for replying, guys. I'm just wondering whether you think it would it be better to wait for the Back to School Promotion, and then get the 2.4GHz and sell the iPod?

    Basically, I have last year's 2.66 15 inch, and think I could sell it with accessories (Mac keyboard + Mac mouse + Keyboard protector) for about £1,100. (I need the new i5!). My options would then be:

    1. Wait for BtS = £1,288.98 - £100 (after selling iPod) = £1,188 + £50 Applecare = £1,238 = Slightly slower machine with cash savings, spend £138

    2. Get 2.53 Ghz now = £1,260 = Better machine, spend £160

    What would you guys do? Is it even necessary to buy the new i5? (Don't say it...)
     
  5. Hellhammer Moderator

    Hellhammer

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Dec 10, 2008
    Location:
    Finland
    #5
    DO you need the speed of i5? You already have a very nice MBP so unless you really need the i5, keep what ya have
     
  6. Brandon263 thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2009
    Location:
    Beaumont, CA
    #6
    I don't really need the speed, but I think I can afford it. I don't really need the accessories I have (I have a Mac keyboard and mouse, VGA adapter, extra Magsafe power cord, etc) so I was thinking I could sell my 2.66 and the accessories for a premium and splurge on a new i5.

    I guess I don't really need it, but £1260 for an 2.53 i5 seems like a deal, and the newer the Mac the better... Right? (Resale value, can keep it for longer, etc.)
     
  7. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

    SnowLeopard2008

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2008
    Location:
    Silicon Valley
    #7
    If you don't need it, then why go through all the trouble? I bought the same MBP you have, at around the same time, and under the same circumstances (student discount). Funnily enough, I also have the same accessories as you do except the VGA adapter and extra Magsafe. I have the DVI adapter.

    If you don't need the Core i5, then I don't think it's worth it selling it and buying a new MBP. You also have to remember the time/effort involved in transferring your data and reinstalling applications. For you, I doubt you can keep the MBP longer seeing as you are planning to sell it after one year. Resale value is negated since you had to add in accessories and those cost money too.

    New stuff is better but do you keep buying new houses, cars, etc. after 1 year?
     
  8. Brandon263 thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2009
    Location:
    Beaumont, CA
    #8
    Hmm, I guess you're right. I'll sleep over it and let you know what I end up deciding.

    I'm really into (new) tech stuff -- it's what I spend the most money on, so I would love a new Mac, but you're right that I can't keep on buying new stuff.

    Thanks a lot for your help everyone!
     
  9. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

    SnowLeopard2008

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2008
    Location:
    Silicon Valley
    #9
    Maybe buy an iPad? That's really cool new tech stuff. The new iPhone will be too. :)
     
  10. Brandon263 thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2009
    Location:
    Beaumont, CA
    #10
    I bit the bullet and bought the new 2.53Ghz i5. Kinda disappointed. No huge changes in speed. Plays .mkv files a bit better and the momentum scrolling thing is cool. I got 11 hours of battery life, though, which is ridiculous! Maybe Civ4 will be faster in Bootcamp.

    My mid-2009 2.66 Ghz Core2Duo sold for £975 ($1440) [with accessories], which I guess isn't too bad. Sigh...
     
  11. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

    Queen of Spades

    Joined:
    May 9, 2008
    Location:
    The Iron Throne
    #11
    That was kind of a costly minimal upgrade, wasn't it? I mean, do whatever makes you happy, but I am so glad I got out of that vicious upgrade cycle. Not only has it saved me money and sanity, but it's less wasteful.
     
  12. argopelter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 24, 2010
    #12
    To the OP, I'd wait another couple of years and do a "real" upgrade. Your machine is much better than fine, and it should stay that way for a while. It might make sense to get the new machine if you're rich and the money doesn't matter, but if that were the case, you wouldn't be posting here. Get a new one when there's a reason to upgrade other than that it's new tech.

    A
     

Share This Page