Is 13" Macbook pro w/o Retina good choice for me

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by HarmoBoy, Feb 2, 2013.

1. HarmoBoy macrumors newbie

Hello buddies,

I've been struggling making a decision on whether or not to buy a Macbook pro recently and I think it is the right place to ask.

One major reason why I want to purchase a new laptop is that I want to install a VMWare workstation and run some heavy ERP server applications (with database) on it so that I can use it in hotels during my trips.
    So for memory I need at least 8GB memory and 16GB will be even better. For the CPU consumption I monitored my laptop which has a Xeon E3 V1230 4 core CPU and found most of time the CPU usage is around 10% so I suppose i5 CPU shall be fine but a 4-core i7 will be even better. I hope Microsoft Windows 7 with bootcamp will run as good as it is running on other normal PC.

At the beginning I considered a Lenovo thinkpad T430, but some friends told me thinkpad's durability is not as good as it used to be, which becomes my major concern. Other than thinkpad, I cannot recall any brand with the good reputation of quality / service this is why I'm considering Macbook pro.
    Also I always would like to try to use Max OS X system as I have bought several iPhones / iPads so I am quite a fan of Apple.

So to meet my requrirements is a 13" macbook pro good choice for me or maybe I shall go for the 15" version? Or, even it's better if I can wait for the next generation with haswell CPUs?

Just before one day before I'm going to get one Macbook, I noticed the buyer guide of MacRumors and the recommendation of Macbook pro w/o Retina is "Don't buy, update soon". I'm not sure how this status generates - is it automatically changed based on the days since last version released or it's a editor's manual change?

Thanks in advance.

2. wickedking94 macrumors 6502

Based on the stuff you've listed, I would recommend you get a 15" MacBook Pro
    with a quad core CPU.

13" MacBook Pro's only have dual core CPUs, and if you want to run heavy duty applications then a quad core is a must, plus the 15" has a dedicated graphics chip instead of the built in graphics on the 13". I've also found that the 15" is better value for you money, and is more future-proof (meaning it will still be able to do high end tasks years from now).

OS X is very easy to learn and use. I went from never using a Mac to being able to use all the features in only a day or two.

I wouldn't wait for the Haswell CPU's as theres not a significant boost in performance from those.

In regards to bootcamp, Windows 7 runs just as well if not better than on regular PC notebooks, and Mac OS can copy the latest hardware drivers to a flash drive so that all the hardware works its best under windows.

3. KPOM macrumors G5

I think it is automatically changed based on the days since the last version. Intel has announced a general timetable for the new Haswell chips. I believe the chips that the MacBook Pro is likely to use will be released in May or June, similar to last year.

----------

Yes and no. The CPU will see only incremental performance improvements (though it will be a new microarchitecture), but the GPU will be at least 50% faster. That could be a consideration for someone getting a 13", since Apple hasn't included a discrete GPU in the 13" MBP. Also, Haswell is supposed to bring significant improvement in power management, which means longer battery life.

4. That70sGAdawg macrumors 6502a

That70sGAdawg

N.Georgia, USA (on the Lake, near the Mountains)
    The 13" rMBP is a great choice for anyone who can afford it. The best laptop I've owned.

5. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

The OP is asking about a non retina MBP though.

Either way, they're good laptops. I'd suggest checking out the refurb store, you can save almost $200 on the base model 13" MBP.

6. HarmoBoy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply WickedKing, I think you've successfully changed my mind so that I'm considering 15" Macbook pro. Cheers!

----------

Thanks KPOM.

I'm wondering whether non-retina Macbook pro will adjust its price recently. As it has been more than 6 months that the price keeps there since it was released/updated on June 2012. It's quite unusual for normal PC but maybe Apple works in this way?

And your thinking about Haswell just proves what WickedKing said - if I want to buy a Macbook pro now I shall go for the 15" as the current Ivy GPU is weak so it's better to get a model contains seperate video card which 15" has.

----------

Yeah, I've considered Retina MBP as well, but the problem is that as far as I know for RMBP the hard drive / memory is unreplaceable.

For the memory I can order 16G version but the price is unreasonablly high.
    For the hard drive I still want to replace it after 2/3 years when 512G SSD becomes popluar.

7. Jhowland macrumors member

The way I see it; if you want/need the 13" size/weight (which IMO, isn't a big deal with the non retnia) you would GREATLY benefit from waiting for haswel. It will give you vastly improved graphics and the possibility of a quad core CPU in a 13" MacBook! If, however, you can't wait or decide you want the bigger screen of the 15" anyway the 15" MacBook Pro is your best choice for the reasons already stated in this thread. It is of course worth mentioning that some people (I go back and fourth on this one myself) that the 2012/sandybridge non-retnia MacBook Pros will be the last non retnia MacBook Pros ever.

Yep, that's how apple work. Same price direct from them and, at least in Australia, from most brick and mortar resellers and ther online stores save for $100 or 10% off every now and then.