Is 16 GB really enough?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rockitdog, Jul 8, 2013.

1. rockitdog macrumors 68020

Does anyone here really feel like a 16GB iphone is enough for them? I consider myself a power user and find myself coming nowhere close to filling all 16 gigs. (sort of just thinking out loud here) :cool:

2. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

64 GB isn't enough for me. 128 GB would be nice.

3. bokdol macrumors 6502a

bokdol

if you play games on your phone, take pictures and video, and play music.

then no it is not enough.

could i deal with 16? sure but i would constantly be deleting files and pictures. and i am too lazy to do that.

and so i got a 32.

4. likethesoup2 macrumors 6502a

Silly question.

Everybody has different needs . . .

5. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Enough for me.

Since I don't watch movies on my phone and not a gamer, 16 GB is more than enough for me.

However, I fully understand that for a serious user, it would not be near enough.

6. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Exactly. I'm not sure what people are thinking or how they use their phones, but even a minimal user with apps (averaging ~250MB-1GB these days) pictures (~3-5MB per) and a few videos (700MB - 1.5GB) and going to fill up the phone pretty quickly and that's without any music or additional content. "I just have too much free space on my device" said no one. Ever.

7. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

16GB has been enough for me for the past 3 years

8. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

I was fine with 8GB, but 16GB for the base model at the same price? no complaints from me.

9. eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

I have 18GB in movies alone. No. Not. Enough.

10. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

As a textbook minimal user, I have to disagree. I have all of 12 apps on my iPhone. One game(for when I need to pass time), and a range of utility type apps like a currency converter, metric to SA converter, white & yellow pages, Google Chrome, and Netflix. I have every single album by 53 different artists in 320kbps CBR MP3 format. Grand total of used space = almost 12.5GB.

11. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

You just agreed with him by posting your usage amount. 0_o

12. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Not sure why you're saying you disagree since you just clearly illustrated my point; 12.5GB of used space would be almost filling the 14GB capacity of a 16GB phone with minimal usage. Anyway, thanks for supporting my point whether you meant to or not.

13. Grayburn macrumors 68000

Grayburn

Same here, many times have i had to remove music to put more on...128GB would be about enough :)

14. tpr007 macrumors regular

tpr007

Just looked at my 16gb info:

7.3GB available, so yes, it's enough.

My ipad mini is 32gb as I always keep a few movies on it for journeys.

15. Brittany246 macrumors 6502a

Yes, it's enough for me. I stream my music so I have no music stored on my phone. I have a few video clips and less than 100 photos. Apps take up most of the space I've used on my phone. I still have 4 gigs left.

16. 0r30 macrumors 6502

0r30

I had a 16gb before and it was not enough. I had to be deleting music, pictures and videos a lot of times which was annoying. Finally after jailbreaking my iphone that's when I found out 16gb was not enough for me. 32gb is what I have now and it seems to be working well.

17. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

Well, to be fair most normal consumers don't have a ton of music in 320kbps CBR(which was converted from flac for my iPhone), so that was more MY point. The average consumer is sitting on a pile of 128kbps mp3's, which would take up about half the space I am.

18. takeshi74 macrumors 601

As with any "Is X enough?" thread -- depends on the user. Some do, some do not. 16 isn't enough for me.

...and that's the problem with subjective terms like "power user" or "minimal user" Either you're using less then 16GB or you're not. Those labels aren't useful. Each needs to assess his/her own usage. Broad, sweeping generalizations are of limited use.

19. izzle22 macrumors 6502a

izzle22

IMO 16g is plenty for a phone. I have a ton of apps, lots of music/photos and still have 4g left over. I don't watch movies on the phone, I think it's ridiculous when I have a 60 inch tv and an iPad. Why watch movies on a 4 inch phone. So I don't waste space on my phone with movies. Also if I can't fit all of my music on the phone (300g) then I don't mind switching out from time to time. I had just read an article last month that one of the biggest wastes of money in the electroncs industry is paying for a phone/ipad with larger storage. The article said the amount of storage upgrade you get is not worth the extra $100-$200. Anyway this is just my opinion so don't get all fired up if you don't agree.

20. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Apple must be wasting their time making 32/64Gs.

21. HankHowdy macrumors 68040

HankHowdy

How did you he the movies on your phone and where did you get them.

----------

I have 12 gigs left in space. I've had my phone for a little over a year. 16 gig phone is fine for me.

22. falconeight Guest

falconeight

I have never filled my 16 gb iPhone 5. I don't store movies though and I don't need every game or app on my phone. Just the ones I use.

23. Bacong macrumors 68020

Bacong

I have 1,000 songs (~8 GB) on my 16 GB iPhone and I have about 50 apps, with some games. About 1 GB of pictures and no videos.

I have 1.3 GB free. So it's enough, but I would like more, obviously.

----------

lol, no way is the average app 250 MB at the low end. The average app is probably between 20-50 MB, and for games it's obviously more but still not 250 low end. Pictures are around 2 MB.

Videos are pretty silly to have on your phone considering how big they are and how rarely you'll use them.

16 GB is enough for most people, especially if they're smart with what they put on it. Sure, if they take 5,000 pictures and put 10 movies on it they'll have no space, but that's just stupid.

24. eyoungren, Jul 8, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2013

eyoungren macrumors Core

eyoungren

I actually synced them from iTunes a few months back. It's the Honeymooners episodes, the Classic 39 and the Lost Episodes. I have them on there because I haven't seen all of them and if I'm ever waiting awhile for something I'll watch an episode. It's also some of the home videos I moved over from my old phone.

I detest the fact that Apple by default stores any video taken on the phone in the camera roll. It's video, so all my video has been moved to the correct app…the Video app.

I'm also not one that deletes the pictures I take, unless they are really awful. The important ones I move over to my Mac, but usually by the end of my contract (2 years) you can see most every picture I took over the course of those two years.

25. Bacong macrumors 68020

Bacong

if either of you could read, you'd see he was disagreeing with you; because 16 GB is enough. "almost filling" the 14 GB capacity isn't completely filling it, nor is he expressing a desire for more space.

Read posts more closely and you might be able to make a point.