All iPads Is 16GB enough space for apps/books, if I am streaming music?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by e5volcano, Oct 22, 2013.

1. e5volcano macrumors regular

Jul 10, 2010
    Hi all,
    going to get a new ipad, undecided between 32gb or 16gb.

I am mainly going to use the iPad for books,apps including games, web browsing, reading my own documents (PDFs and Spread sheets) and email.For music listening, I have itunes match so all my music is streamed from the cloud.

is 16GB enough space or should I go 32 GB route?
  2. crzdcolombian macrumors 6502a

Nov 16, 2010
    I have a 32gb one. It has a ton of of space left. Tho I have a macbook air and iPhone. The iPhone is 16gb and feel the space gets eaten up pretty quickly. The iPad is mostly for comics(50-100 at a time), books(20-30 at a time) and streaming video. I don't really have any music on it because i have iCloud. Movie wise I have 40+ movies on iCloud so no need to have them on there. When I go on a trip I load a couple movies as I have the wifi iPad.

It really depends how much stuff you have on iTunes.
  3. mateo124 macrumors regular

Oct 15, 2011
    16gb shouldn't even be an option anymore, its just so miniscule. Definitely want to go for 32gb if you can spare the extra $100
  4. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Feb 4, 2008
    If you can afford it, get 32GB. Why? Because you're not worried about holding 32GB. You're worried about being able to hold 14.5GB.

I had a 16GB iPhone 4S for a couple of years after two 32GB models. It still sounds like a lot, but it's not. Use Photo Stream? There goes 1GB. Many decent games are 1GB. Want to play just that one HD movie? There goes another 4GB. Got a magazine subscription and want to keep four issues on the device? That could be another 2GB.

Had you not said "apps," I may say you could get by on 16GB. But I just wouldn't recommend that to anyone who isn't like my parents and just does Web browsing and Words with Friends.
  5. bobright macrumors 601

Jun 29, 2010
    16GB gets filled up really fast, constantly deleting/syncing stuff is no fun.

Very true and well said
  6. Tony78228 macrumors regular

Oct 21, 2013
    I had the ipad 3 16gb, and I wasn't happy. always checking to see how big an app was because I didn't want to fill my ipad up. luckily I've ran into a bit of cash, and it's perfect timing, I'll probably get the 64gb iPad air, but 16gb shouldn't be an option. go for 32gb
  7. THFourteen macrumors 6502a

Apr 8, 2010
    some of the bigger release games like XCOM need you to have quite a lot of free space just to do the install.

I'd say 32GB is the minimum thesedays if you are going to use apps. Surfing, ebooks etc, 16GB would be fine.

I had a 32GB mini last year, think i'll upgrade to a 64GB retina mini this year.
  8. mlovergaard macrumors 6502

Jan 28, 2011
    New York City
    I made the mistake of getting the iPad Mini in 16 Gb and must admit I have regretted it ever since. If you can afford the bigger version then get it.
  9. Aucun Express macrumors regular

Apr 30, 2009
    If you do not store your music library, 16GB is more than enough.
  10. Epiphron macrumors regular

Jul 25, 2010
    Depends if you want to install apps. I also regretted getting the ipad 4 16gb. Seems like any high profile retina app will eat up 1 gig. Which means about 10 big apps and you're completely full. That's not even counting music photos movies books etc. That 100$ savings was not worth the hassle.. But if you're broke you'll learn to suffer and get by :/
  11. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Feb 4, 2008
    I had my 32GB iPhone 5S filled up in about 10 seconds. I *only* put 14GB of music on it to begin with. I threw the iWork apps on there, got some of my games back on there. Before I knew it, I had filled it up. So I just took off a lot of the music to get to about 6GB free. I like to have a cushion in case I want to shoot some video. I think that would give me enough space for 45 minutes.

When Apple starts making iPhones that record UHD/4K video, anybody who buys a 16GB model and plans on shooting any video is N-V-T-S nuts.