Is 16GB ram worht of 200E ? :)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by notail, Jun 17, 2012.

1. notail macrumors newbie

Hello i would like to buy new retina macbook but i cant decide if i will buy it with 8GB or 16GB as it is very different in price...And it is quite a lot of money..

I am currently owner of mbp 13 early 2011 with 4GB ram and sometimes i can experience laggs (also browsers are eating a lot of memory)...ofc it can be due to 5400RPM disk ..

I would like to use that retina mac as my only workstation for some virtualization stuff (unix os), coding...I want to have 1 or 2 additional monitors for xcode, console book opened at once.

Non retina mbp is not an option.

2. Major.Robto macrumors 6502

For what you are doing, Go with the extra 200$ the ram is not upgradedable via user, its stuck to the Main chip board.

There are no replacement parts at all in the retna,

Go with 16 you wont be sorry.

I currently have 4gb in my black macbook core2duo and its not enough for my work.

3. Black.Infinity macrumors 6502

Black.Infinity

if you plan to keep it long time then go with 16gb ram.

4. LaWally macrumors 6502a

Even if you don't plan on keeping it a long time, go for the 16GB. It will add value if you ever decide to sell.

5. notail thread starter macrumors newbie

It is a lot of money for that...

Well...i never sell my laptops i give them to my family and ill buy new one.

I can basically afford a new laptop every year so i have no problem with that...but i already spend 600euros on new iphone yesterday ...and prices in europe are really hilarious...some would expect that they will be lower than the prices in USA...but this is crazy...there is not any conversion and it would cost me 2400E or maybe more...i dont know at the moment cuz yet another problem is that hey do not ship here (Slovakia) more expensive models.

6. LaWally macrumors 6502a

Ultimately you need to feel comfortable with what you are spending and getting for your new MBP. If the 200 euros for 8GB or additional memory puts it over the top, go with the 8GB. Unless you are crunching live video, 8GB should be more than enough anyway.

My personal motto is "buy as much memory as you can afford".

Wish I could afford a new laptop every year. LOL

7. Major.Robto macrumors 6502

See the problem is its non user upgradable, I would max it out because of that, I feel your pain on the price also

8. Ves macrumors member

Ves

Max is out so you don't regret not doing it later down the road. It's a lot but still.

9. notail thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah but...i bought ipad (1st gen) when it was new...64gb model and i dont even used a 5GB of space in it...so..Yes ram is different but still..

10. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Clearly you want to go with 8, so go with 8. I never understand why people ask a question when they already made up their mind? 8GB will be fine unless you are doing high-end video, graphics, music, or VM's. Lion uses about 1.5-2GB of RAM so that will still leave you with 6.

11. derrranged macrumors member

You have no real choice " would like to use that retina mac as my only workstation for some virtualization stuff (unix os), coding...I want to have 1 or 2 additional monitors for xcode, console book opened at once." You're gonna need the extra RAM to keep all of this running smoothly. Your real question is whether or not you want to be happy with your purchase in a year (on a product rated for a 3-5 year useable life) or pissed off that you cheaped out on a premium system that you can't go back and fix.

GET THE RAM