Is 200mb enough data to have for a 4s?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MrXiro, Oct 29, 2011.

1. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

I am planning on getting off of sprint and joining my family's att plan and getting a 4s. I signed up for the 200 mb plan just to save a few bucks since I am around wifi probably 75% of my day. Is it possible to use a 4s with 1 email account and some mild daily surfing (mostly this site, engadget and maybe some news sites) and stay within the 200 mb limit or should I just get the 2gb plan? I am trying to financially tighten the belt so if it's even possible to eek away using the 200mb I would love to do that. If only the $15 plan was for 1gb... :(

2. Whorehay macrumors 6502a

Whorehay

It can be done, especially since you are near WiFi a lot. However, it will be tough. The moment any sort of streaming media (music, videos) is consumed, 200MB may be pretty restrictive.

So my recommendation is still to get the 2GB plan to start. If you have any sort of corporate discount with AT&T, the difference isn't that much for a much, much more usable iPhone/smartphone experience. Then, if you find that you don't use more than 200MB in one month consistently for 2-3 months, you can downgrade.

3. salacious macrumors 6502a

i feel sorry for you americans, in england were getting harrassed by unlimited data and unlimited texts and thousands of minutes of calls for stupid prices that even the poor could live off, im wondering why in america they are being so harsh with their data plans?

4. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

Try out the 200MB for a month, see how much you use. Upgrade to 2GB if you need more. Plans can be easily changed if you have access to the account.

5. MrXiro thread starter macrumors 68040

MrXiro

I never do any media streaming... It will purely for web surfing and email when I am outside of the house or wifi area... I do tend to hang out on these forums a bit though...

I was thinking I might even keep cellular data off at all times until necessary.

----------

American mobile phone companies are greedy... I personally despise AT&T. But Joining them knocks my bill down from 69.99 to 24.99 plus the 15 dollar in B$ taxes.

Most of the rest of the world is way more forgiving with their plans, been like that for a long time. I remember visiting my ex in London a while back. Her mobile plan out there beat the crap out of mine, no cost for incoming texts or calls...

6. daviddth macrumors 6502a

daviddth

200MB is easy to keep under. I have been using it for the last 18 months, and only recently upgraded to 500MB. No streaming, no downloading large files, and no real worry at all.

7. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

If you stick to wifi and only do occasional browsing you'll be ok. If you browse daily over 3G it'll be tight. Worse case you have to upgrade midway through the month. Just try it and see.

8. jessica.weber macrumors newbie

Great thank you for this info so it sounds like getting 500 MB from the beginning might be the better option / don't want to run out.

9. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

It all depends on your use. Some will think it is easy while other would not. The 500mb should be a starting point and if you can use less you might want to change your plan.

There are many AT&T haters but they have been good to me. Never a dropped call and great service when you need it. Many feel they are "entitled" to phone service. Like everything else, it needs to be paid for!:D

10. bp1000 macrumors 65816

I cant believe you have to pay to receive calls and texts, that is insane!

My plan is 600 minutes, 1200 texts, unlimited data and unlimited cloud wifi for £15 which is about $22 per month.

It doesn't seem fair on the Americans. At least they get most things first. Without worrying about data I use 500-700mb per month.

11. rruben macrumors member

What?? That is insane. I live in Belgium and here's what I get: 5000, 50 minutes of calling (50 ****ing minutes) and 10 MB (10 ****ing MB) of data... For €15. I can get 200 MB of surfing for €10 euro extra. The only plan with more data is unlimited calls and texting and 1GB of data for €90. Which is insane. I'm stuck with this carrier (Proximus, the biggest one in Belgium) for 10 more months.

12. bp1000 macrumors 65816

Wow I guess the uk is lucky and not ripped off for once :)

There are similar deals even now. The other day tmobile offered me 300 mins, 300 texts, 500mb of data for £7.50 a month. About 10 or 11 dollars.

13. Mach2001 macrumors newbie

It seems here in the UK some of the carriers are starting to get greedy in regards to data as in they are still charging roughly the same prices but lowering the amount of data. You can still get good deals but have to have a good look first.

14. MrXiro, Oct 29, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2011

MrXiro thread starter macrumors 68040

MrXiro

I wish we had a 500mb option... It's either 200mb for $15, 2gb for $25, or $45 for 4gb with included hotspot usage.

15. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

I, like you, have access to Wi-Fi almost all the time, and I'm planning on signing up for the 200MB plan as well. I use Pulse news reader for all my news sites, so I rarely use Safari. I occasionally check the App Store and Flixster, and facebook is probably the most heavily used besides Pulse. I agree though, 2GB is too much and 200MB is too little.

16. FilipH macrumors regular

Tijd voor Mobile Vikings na je 10 maanden : 2 gig voor 15 euro. Het is geen 3g, maar met edge best te doen. https://mobilevikings.com/en/

17. netslacker macrumors 6502

200mb is not a lot of data. My wife, who never leaves the house except to go to appointments twice a week has used 90mb of data on her 4S in 2 weeks of owning it.

I'm at work 4 days a week and I've used 1gb in 2 weeks.

This is no streaming, no updating apps while on 3G and only using Siri, reading news sites, fb etc.

If you plan to use Siri, which uses data, and you do a lot of web browsing (even if it's just news sites) while on 3G you will go through the 200mb quickly. So just a caution.

Also, keep in mind that if you are not watching your data constantly and run out of 200mb then AT&T will just charge you for another 200mb for 15.00. So if you go over you'll be at 30.00 for the month. I'd recommend you either watch your data usage closely the first month or just go for the 2gb plan and adjust down after the billing cycle if you didn't go over.

18. MrXiro thread starter macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Yeah... I am thinking I might have to go Up to 2gb. I have unlimited now and am far too spoiled to live off of 200mb... I was just hoping.

19. martiansoldier macrumors 6502

+1.

Also, if you do run over in the middle of your billing cycle, AT&T has the option to get online and switch plans anytime along with backdating the start of the new plan to the beginning of your current billing cycle.

20. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Well, if our cellphone companies only needed to worry about covering an area the size of Mississippi, I'd imagine we'd get better price and service... :cool:

21. Smug Boy macrumors member

200MB is will not be enough for a 4s unless you turn off all of the great features that make the phone what it is.

22. joshwithachance macrumors 68000

joshwithachance

I don't use cellular data on my iPhone 4 all that much and I am always using at least 500MB of data so I would advise you to get the 2GB just to be safe.

23. applefan289 macrumors 68000

Not true. I mainly use Wi-Fi at home with the iPhone and when I'm out and about and use Siri, and want to check a website/email, it's enough. I got my iPhone a week and a half ago, and I haven't even used 50MB of data.

When I'm out and about I'm not going to be downloading apps, etc. When I'm out and about I'm going to be checking websites and emails or using Siri, but that's about it.

I leave apps, YouTube videos, etc. for Wi-Fi.

That said, 200MB is not a lot of data, so you have to choose what you will check when you're out wisely.

24. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

200mb is absolutely nothing. Pay the extra for a gig, trust me.

For $25, i get 6GB of data.

25. ShionoyaTamaki macrumors 6502

If you are using wifi 75% of the time and only email/websurf lightly, 200mb will work for you.

although, the term "lightly" is subjective

I use about 400-800mb a month.
    My activities daily are
    -Reading emails about 10-15 a day.
    -Lots of news/article reading. About 50-100 according to my google reader trend.
    -Maybe one or two appstore updates

There are months where i go over 2-5gb lol, usually stuck at airport watching youtube videos. But i got unlimited data plan so no worries.

So far since i got the iPhone4S i have used 1.2GB

You can strictly monitor your bandwidth usage in iOS setting. If you seems to easily reach 200mb you can always upgrade at anytime. you are not bound to the $15 200mb plan. You can adjust it as needed.