Is $220 to upgrade to 16gb RAM worth it?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by username:, Mar 8, 2014.

1. username: macrumors 6502a

Im thinking about buying a 27" iMac and on the aussie apple store it costs $220 to upgrade from stock 8GB to 16GB RAM. I've heard it is easy to find cheaper RAM and self-install, but I'm having trouble sourcing cheaper third party RAM.

Apparently mixing different RAM is less reliable? And not all third party RAM is guaranteed to work in the iMac?

So is $220 to upgrade with tested, reliable RAM a better option than DIY? Does anyone know exactly how much cheaper it would be to buy third party RAM in Aus?

2. p3ntyne, Mar 8, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2014

p3ntyne macrumors 6502

p3ntyne

I'm also in Australia. From OWC it will cost ~$225 so there is no point in getting that but the same RAM is all over ebay for AU$160 w/ free postage. To answer your other questions, you can mix and match the right spec RAM.

Update: Just realised that the RAM here: http://tinyurl.com/ma2pkgt is 2x8Gb. This means for just $160 you will get 24Gb. If you get the last two of these: http://tinyurl.com/mkd676z, it will cost it will cost $137 and give you 16Gb.

3. RoastingPig macrumors 68000

RoastingPig

no because the 220 can be used to buy a 16gb aftermarket kit 2x8gb and youll still get to keep your 2x4gb that come with the imac stock and you can have a total of 24gb ram..your computer has 4 ram slots that are easily accessible without any tools needed

yes you can mix an match ram different brand ram of the same kind and speed wich is pc3 12800 at 1600MHz SODIMM

4. username: thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks guys.

That will come to $137 as you say so that works out to a saving of $83 compared to apple ram.

If $83 is the most I can save I'm considering paying the apple premium just for peace of mind. $83 for no risk seems worth while. Also removes an extra step in the process which introduces more chances of bits not working.

I don't know. I'm thinking of getting 16GB from apple and then if I need more I will go third party.

5. Truthfulie macrumors regular

It's really not $83 more since you actually get less RAM with the Apple upgrade. 16GB versus 24GB. It's about $100 for two sticks of 4GB RAMs so it's really more than $83 in savings by going third party.

6. p3ntyne macrumors 6502

p3ntyne

Umm... okay.

IMO, I don't see why to get apple RAM at all. The ram on ebay is new, exactly the right spec for your iMac and, since you have the 27 inch model, all you have to do is remove the power plug, press the button to open the ram door, take the old ones out, put the new ones in, click the door back and done! No screwdrivers, nothing!!! Just make sure you boot up the computer first to make sure everything works.

Surely, you can spend $83 better.

EDIT: Here is a video: www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uYzM9cwNas 2m43s + this includes commentary etc.

7. username: thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't know. I've read people having problems with different RAM even with the right specs. I can't find the threads now but there are a couple on this forum.

I appreciate your advice a lot, I really do. And I may still buy third party RAM from ebay and the links you posted. It just doesn't seem like a big saving, that's all.

8. p3ntyne macrumors 6502

p3ntyne

Well, if you get the $137 one, that will all be the same modules so it should ease your mind a bit however, I do understand your concern especially considering returns are not accepted.

Just one more time, I found this: http://tinyurl.com/mlfyfnr it is for mac models (macbook pro but same spec as imac) and has returns within 30 days. This will still save you $40.

Otherwise, I'm glad I could help.

EDIT: Just noticed apple uses 2x8 Gb's sticks. Perhaps this would be helpful to you: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1667012

9. username: thread starter macrumors 6502a

10. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Perhaps you're referring to this thread? Yes, the Haswell Macs are extremely finicky with RAM upgrades.

Search for Crucial CT2C8G3S160BM at Amazon US. It is 16GB (2x8GB) and is the equivalent of $153 AUD. I would venture to guess that even with the shipping fees and import taxes, it will be much less than the 8 to 16GB Apple upgrade. I had the Crucial shipped to me in Japan and it was still a great deal even with the shipping and import taxes. If you put it in the cart at Amazon, it will estimate it for you.

Alternatively, if you're ultimately looking to go to the maximum of 32GB you can do what I did and pay Apple for the 16GB and then add the abovementioned Crucial. Then you'll never have any memory to remove or replace.

11. username:, Mar 9, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2014

username: thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the link. And that's what I was thinking, get 16GB from apple and upgrade later.

16GB apple + 16GB third party later on seems the way to go.

12. adamj575 macrumors 6502

adamj575

13. username: thread starter macrumors 6502a

From the crucial website?
    Not including shipping the RAM I need costs $173. Link: http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=iMac%20(27-inch%2C%20Late%202013)&Cat=RAM

That gives me 24GB RAM (assuming I order 8GB from apple). Great so now what if I want to go to 32GB? I need to buy another 16 GB. Then what do I do with the 8GB from apple? Sell it?

So not upgrading costs me ~$340 in the end (to max out at 32GB). 16 GB from Apple + third party RAM costs ~ $390.

Not every one has the time to spend researching, sourcing, waiting for and installing RAM. For a measly ~$50 I can void all the hassle and order straight from apple.

I'm already paying premium for an apple product, why skimp on the ram? Doesn't make sense.