Is $400 a good deal on a PB 17" 1.67GHz G4?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by macaddict23, Jun 23, 2009.

1. macaddict23 macrumors 6502

macaddict23

Craigslist seller has this listed for $500, but is willing to let it go for $400. I've had a chance to inspect it, and it's in perfect condition. This is the High-Res version of the 17" 1.67GHz (1680x1050). It has 2GB ram, 120GB HD, backlit, Airport, etc.

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

That is a pretty good deal if you need the screen space. Although the computer will be pretty slow compared to computers of today. And you can get a Core Duo MacBook for just $100-200 more if you can deal with the smaller screen.

3. macaddict23 thread starter macrumors 6502

macaddict23

I need the bigger screen for doing page layouts. I'm still using CS2, so I probably will not upgrade to an Intel Machine for another year or so.

4. aethelbert macrumors 601

That's an excellent deal. If you'd use the screen space to its fullest potential, I'd say go for it.

5. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Then go for it, you're getting it for less than the going rate :)

6. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

It's a decently good deal, but like another said, it is definitely outclassed by even the basic Macbook. Have you considered getting an external display? PPCs are about to be completely obsolete, so yeah. I wouldn't use one for a main computer.

7. plinkoman macrumors 65816

plinkoman

The people calling this computer slow don't know what they are talking about. I have almost that exact computer, except I have a 7200rpm hard drive instead of the standard one. This is a great computer, almost 4 years old and it still handles everything I throw at it.

Absolutely great deal, do it.

8. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

I didn't say it was slow. I said it was outclassed. Because it is.

It'd probably work decent, but like I said before I wouldn't use it as main computer at this point. I have a 12" 1.22 Ghz ibook that works fine for travel, but even for light stuff I can tell it has trouble crunching, especially when it comes to flash and the latest web standards.

9. plinkoman macrumors 65816

plinkoman

And I didn't say that it wasn't outclassed (obviously it is, it's 3.5 years old, duh). What I did say is that while some of you are speculating about its usefulness in certain activities, I own one and use it as my primary computer, so I think I am a little more qualified to be attesting to its capabilities.

10. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

I disagree, because you are a head in a jar.

Staying on topic, I'm looking at this as an investment for this gentleman. It's great for you because you already own the machine, but it's 2009 and this man is looking at the same machine, and while it's been a great value for you, I don't think it'll be a great value for him unless he paid less...say $250. I just don't think investing in soon to obsolete tech is a good move unless it's dirt cheap.

For the record, my gf's mom has a G5 imac with similar specs, and I even feel like that is getting pretty crunchy.

11. plinkoman macrumors 65816

plinkoman

Touché

Define obsolete in your view. It wont be able to run snow leopard (which I think is BS...), nor will it be able to run any intel only software, which for the moment, isn't much. It wont be super fast by any means, but if he were looking for that, I don't think he would be looking at 3.5-4 year old machines.

Having said that, what does he want to use it for? CS2? I use CS3 and I'm fine with the speed. He also said he is looking to upgrade in about a year, so this is certainly something that would last that long and do well. If he resells it when he upgrades in about a year, he can probably make about %75 (wild guess) of what he would be paying now, so he'd be out $100 for a years worth of computer usage. Think about it that way and it's probably a better value than a new computer.