Is 4k TV/monitor for programming for person with low eyesight?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by mamcx, Sep 18, 2015.

1. mamcx macrumors regular

Currently I have a old Lcd Tv (1360*720) as main screen for programming. I wanna replace it with something new, with a budget of < US 600.

Programming and reading is my main activity. I do some gaming, and regularly movie watching.

I wonder if at 4k is possible to have readable and *big* text not only for the content (code, websites... that is easy to configure), but also regular interface (menus, buttons, etc). People with experience with 4k/5k with low eyesight, is a true improvement or is a gimmick to buy 4k and is better to stick to regular tv/monitors?

2. 2457244 macrumors regular

Maybe you can better buy some glasses if you have low eyesight..

3. mamcx thread starter macrumors regular

I already have.

4. Garsun macrumors regular

Garsun

I just bought a 43 inch 4K TV for around that price. I'm not using it on my computer but with 43 inches text should be fairly large and at 4k you should have plenty of desktop space. I'm thinking you might be onto something. If you give it a try I would appreciate a post back here with how you think it works

5. cruisin macrumors 6502a

cruisin

Assuming that you can run at 4k resolution and 60 Hz refresh, then a big 4K screen is a good idea for what you do. For example, a 24 inch screen stretched to 48 inches is fuzzy but a 4K screen would maintain the sharpness of the 24 inch screen. You don't get the sharp retina screen, but you don't get a big blurry screen either.

Unless you updated your graphics card to specifically include 4K at 60 Hz, you will likely be able to only reach 30 Hz or maybe 50 Hz with a few tweaks. For text it likely doesn’t matter, you might see something if you scroll quickly. Movies are generally 24-30 Hz so that should be fine. Games will be your biggest issue, since you generally need at least 60 Hz for things to look smooth without motion blur and your old tv had 60 Hz.

6. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

You could use the Scaling options on a 4K display to make the text larger, and therefore easier to read, but will also make all other content bigger, which you asked for. But this does reduce the amount of information that can fit on the screen. A larger 4K display will allow space for more to fit on screen, but the cost will increase. Just make sure it is capable of 60Hz refresh rate (most very recent 4K monitors can, but some older ones are restricted to 30Hz, where movement will be jerky).

7. mamcx thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, this sound good to me. I already run in lower resolution my current TV, but the ability to fit a bit more without reducing legibility is welcome, and anyway my second monitor (the imac) will give the ability to run games ;)

8. xStep macrumors 68000

Make sure your Mac can support a 4K external monitor, and preferably at 60Hz as mentioned above.