Is 5S going to be less boring than 4S? ;)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by animatedude, Jun 27, 2013.

?

is 5S going to be less boring than 4S?

1. it's going to be as boring as 4S.

25 vote(s)
    48.1%
  2. it's going to be less boring than 4S as NEW "Family Of iPhones" will be released.

11 vote(s)
    21.2%
  3. it's going to be more boring than 4S as no ground breaking feature will be introduced.

10 vote(s)
    19.2%
  4. all of us will be blown away with the surprise Jony Ive thinner all-aluminum iPhone Air.

6 vote(s)
    11.5%
  1. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

2. Sebct macrumors regular

3. SoIsays macrumors regular

It will be amazing because it's newer than the iphone 4s and 5 and so it means it's better than those phones and their old-phone owning owners.

4. Menel, Jun 27, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2013

Menel macrumors 603

Menel

If we get as huge an upgrade as the 4S was for 4 users, I'll be surprised.

But I doubt that. 4->4S doubled cellular bandwidth HSPA 7.1 to HSPA14.2. We're currently sitting with LTE at 100mbps, there is LTE-A at 150mbps, but no US carriers have it yet, and it's not a doubling, and there is no benefit to doubling. There are no real further gains for the foreseeable future for cellular speed.

4-4S. Doubled graphics, dual core GPU. The 5 is already so powerful, no apps are phased by even the 4S which will be 3 iPhone levels deep.

4-4S more than doubled CPU/number crunching ability. New generation micro-architecture in dual-core configuration doubled number crunching but also introduced multi-threading which was a huge boon. Again, the 4S and 5 are already so powerful no apps phase them.

These metrics will definitely not see such increases this time from the 5->5S as we saw from 4->4S.

4-4S, brought 5mp -> 8mp camera, plus new 5 element lens system and 1080P video. This may be significantly improved, 13MP? 8MP but larger pixels for better light? Dual flash with tungsten tuned flash for low light images.

4-4S, held constant with 10hrs of usage on battery. 5 held constant. Can they double battery life? Will we see a 5S that doubles the battery usage to 20 hours? That would be revolutionary... But I don't think we have that in battery technology.

... New major camera revolution. I don't see anything else, and if it does change, it will have little impact on the end users.

5. barkomatic macrumors 68040

iPhone 4 owners considered the 4S a "boring" upgrade while iPhone 3Gs owners considered it an exciting upgrade. It depends upon what you're coming from. Funny thing about two year contract cycles.

6. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

But if it looks the same as last year's model, how will people know I'm cool?

7. Dulcimer macrumors 6502a

Dulcimer

I guess you'll just have to have a . . . good personality :eek:

:D

8. cynics macrumors G4

Hmm. Where can I get one of those and can I get AppleCare+ with it?

----------

It will probably be pretty boring IMO. Every update has been boring to me when compared to the previous generation. But its a little less boring when you skip generations.

I just wasn't too impressed with the 5. I'm hoping the 5S gets some new piece of software that its exclusive too it like all the previous S models. If not I'm gonna skip it and see what the 6 offers. I can't go much further then that because I do want to stay on the latest OS.

9. oaktree macrumors regular

I can't vote based on your premise. I never thought the 4S was boring. In fact, I was disappointed I didn't qualify for it.

My vote would be: I'm not sure the 5S will be as exciting as the 4S.:D

10. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Channeling Steve Jobs: You Got No Taste.

11. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Jimmy James

So it is, or is not, going to be less boring, depending on the results of this poll?

12. GodWhomIsMike macrumors 6502a

If you are bored of the 4S, you will likely be bored with the 5S. Although, the only people I can see being super happy with the upgrade will be those like me that opted for the 16GB 4s. I am constantly running out of storage space. It sucks, and it is my fault for being such a cheapskate at the time. I probably would have kept it for at least another year or two if I opted for the 64GB model at the time.

13. taedouni macrumors 65816

How is using the same design considered boring ? Is the S4 a boring phone since it follows the same design that the S3 and Note 2 follow?

Apple isn't making the 5S for 5 owners. They're making it for 4S owners. Most people wait more than a year until they upgrade new phone.

That doesn't mean that a jump from a 5 to 5S won't be worth it. The jump from a 4 to a 4S was worth it due to the performance gains plus the idea of having a world phone that has Siri.

14. WhackyNinja macrumors 68000

WhackyNinja

15. Nukemkb macrumors 6502a

Nukemkb

The 4S was exciting...

...and the 5S will be even more so! :eek:

16. jcpb macrumors 6502a

I have a 64GB 4S, and a 64GB iPod 5G, and I'm still running out of space. :)

Although, if I were to buy an iPhone again, I'd go for the lowest capacity model and then use the money saved towards a maxed-storage WiFi-only iPod/iPad.