Is 700 MB a lot for the "other" section?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by App Downloader, Feb 3, 2012.

1. App Downloader macrumors member

I have a iPad 2 and a iPhone 4S. My iPad has around 930 megabytes of "other" space taken up. I just got my iPhone a week ago, and I put all the music and games and Mail settings and contacts etc. on to it, and now I have around 700 megabytes of "other" space on my iPhone (started off with about 200 megabytes).

How much do you guys have of "other" space?

2. Nicolas4ever macrumors 6502a

Nicolas4ever

i actually have 500MB on my iDevice.I think it's just normal.

3. b-rad g macrumors 6502a

b-rad g

4. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Yeah thats ok :) No need to get rid of it unless you've run out of space, in which case a full restore from scratch will get rid of a bit of it.

5. MaxMichael macrumors member

My other section takes up 2.4GB so what does it even mean? How can I free up any space?

6. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Do you have tons of stuff on your iDevice that is not apps, music, photos or videos? That will be the other.

7. silver8ack macrumors regular

8. MaxMichael macrumors member

But what else exactly could that be? Does App Data (the caches you see under the usage tab) come under Other or Apps? I'd assume Apps. Apart from this all I can think of would be Messages. I just checked and I have 53,214 messages on my phone which have just accumulated over the past 2 months or so but I don't see how this would be 2.4GB unless this includes the photo/video attachments, etc.

9. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Contacts, calendars, reminders, App caches and Safari caches will also count as other. The best thing to do to get rid of them is do a full restore as a new iPhone/iPod/iPad. Then sync across the stuff that you want. Sorry, I know it'll be a pain, but its the best way to free up a lot of the other space :(

10. EmbraceTheOne macrumors 6502a

11. emjaycee18 macrumors regular

I have about a 1 gig of other. The 2 biggest culprits for me are email attachments and MMS.

12. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Also anything that an app saves. My textbooks are through coursesmart. The application itself is 15MB. The 4 Textbooks I have are 1GB, making my other section almost 2GB.

13. hector4drake macrumors newbie

14. mlukens macrumors member

This happened to me, download an iPhone exploration app for your Mac such as iExplorer check the folder called ApplicationArchives see if there are any large .zip files in there. Apparently if an App failed to sync or install sometimes it puts a copy of it in there and doesn't remove, I had about 3GBs in there.

15. dweezle3 macrumors regular

dweezle3

Also, it should probably be noted that if you're jailbroken, anything installed from cydia will register under the "other" category. Took me a while to figure out why I had like 2 gb of "other" soon after jail breaking :p Just thought I'd share!

16. MastahRiz macrumors 6502

This was a great tip, I found 1GB in there from when I had installed Fifa a long time ago.

Thanks!

17. RolandNights macrumors 6502a

Aside from general app data, camera apps that have their own camera roll can use A LOT of data. I had roughly 100 photos still in my Camera+'s light box (their camera roll), and that made up a big chunk of my "other".

18. gaanee macrumors 6502a

Do you have to jailbreak to use this app?

19. OS X Dude macrumors 6502a

OS X Dude

No, it's free and works with non-jailbroken iPhones :) Works on my 4S with 5.1, anyway :)

It's a great bit of software, I happily Liked them and Tweeted about them as they prompted during the software's first launch on my Mac.

20. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

Is it any different from iFunBox?

Where can I find this ApplicationArchives folder?

21. OS X Dude macrumors 6502a

OS X Dude

Having never used that before, I can't honestly say mate. All iExplorer is is a free, very easy to use file browser for your iDevice - basically works exactly like Finder, but you can make folders directly onto your iDevice too, and there's a one-button 'Copy Music' command too (that does exactly what you think it does :p)

22. RocketRed macrumors 6502a

My "other" is .64 GB.

I remember at some point my "other" for my iPhone 4s said 2.3 GB and I had to factory restore it. Apparently it was corrupted data (not jailbroken, only had apps, music, tones and photos)

23. takeshi74 macrumors 601

As with any question of usage it depends. 700MB could be nothing, it could be a lot. Simply knowing the number doesn't mean anything in and of itself and randomly polling for other people's usage won't really mean much.