Is 8GB RAM enought to use photoshop?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dgrog, Oct 10, 2012.

1. dgrog macrumors member

Currently got 4GB ram MBP. Going to upgrade the RAM as I want to start using photoshop (already get some page outs without using photoshop).

So... is 8GB enough, or should I go straight for it and just get 16GB?

THANKS!

2. Fresh Burek macrumors newbie

I've been running Photoshop on a PC with 4 GB of RAM for years and never had any issues. Photoshop is not much of a RAM hog as say After Effects.

3. tiwizard macrumors regular

It depends how big the documents you are working on are.

Yes, 8 GB is enough. If you really want, get 8 GB of RAM now, and since you can upgrade at a later date, put in 16 GB of RAM when you need it or it goes below a price you are willing to pay. Of course, it may be just as cheap to buy the 16 GB of RAM now if you buy 8 GB of RAM for ~$50 and 16 GB of RAM for ~$50 at a later date, versus ~$80 now for the 16 GB.

4. icecoldart macrumors member

icecoldart

Photoshop IS a ram Hog when you let it, and in most cases you will.
    If you are doinge simple photo touch ups then 4 gis should be fine, but when you're a digital artist like myself you will soon find yourself ending up with tons of layers, huge resolution files and the beach ball while saving or flipping the canvas.

Get 16GB it's "futureproof" ;)

5. Fresh Burek macrumors newbie

Yep, that's true. I mostly work on web design, so dimensions are fairly small and file size is not too big either. If you're working with large raster documents, Photoshop will suck your machine's soul out. :D

6. nontroppo macrumors 6502

nontroppo

It also depends on the version of Photoshop in terms of 32 vs 64bit builds...

7. tiwizard macrumors regular

Photoshop CS6 is 64 bit only, and CS5 launches in 64 bit mode by default on a compatible Mac

8. EnVyCaLiBeR macrumors member

Using photoshop currently on 4GBs. 8GBs is more than enough.

9. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

Unless you're working with very large files with many layers, 8GB should be fine. What do you plan on doing in Photoshop? It's just one program, but there's a huge variety of work that can be done with it. If you can give us some details about that it would be helpful.

10. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

11. JPNFRK7 macrumors 6502

JPNFRK7

iMacs at my school run Photoshop on 2GB RAM. Not very fast but it works.

12. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

I know a lot of people take that stance, but depending on what the OP will be doing with the computer, 16GB may be a waste of money. Most people don't need that much. I guess I'm of the mindset that says it doesn't make sense to buy something that won't be of any use to you...even if it is cheap. Just my 2¢.

13. dgrog thread starter macrumors member

Thank for all the replies.

I'm not a huge PS user - will only be using it to make some graphics for websites, posters etc. Would 8gb be enough for these kinds of tasks?

14. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

4GB is plenty, 8GB will be great.

15. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

It will be more than enough :)

16. Mrbobb macrumors 601

You DID explicitly cite PS as the reason for your question!

It's very simple. A photo editing app ideally wants the full document in ram and 2.5x that for scratch space. U know the amount of ram needed by calculating the largest UNcompressed picture u will be working with. Now this is for people who do this everyday and have no time to wait for memory swapping.

U do a couple of posters 2x/year, meh, u can wait.

17. pantelija macrumors newbie

More than enough!

18. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

4GB is okay, especially if you don't do multy-layer 300DPI 8.5x11" stuff (or Retina, which would be very close in approximation). I've 8GB in mine and can max it, especially if I have web browsers or VMs open... I just upgraded to 16GB so I can run VMs in the background...

If you design for websites (72PPI, not Retina-optimized) and never have to scale, no problem...

If you multitask, get as much as you can afford from the get-go. Preinstalled at the factory and tested then, you needn't worry (nearly as much) about crashing or other problems.

It sounds like 4GB will probably be "just right", but I'd say it's better to have too much (within reason) than not enough. I'd go with 8GB...

19. Emii93 macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,

Finally looking at buying my first Mac Book Pro.... looking at the 13" regular 8 gig ram blah blah...

The issue I'm faced, I am a photographer, editing about 6 days a week, editing up to 10 Full edits in each photo shoot, with an average of maybe 8 layers.

I've had 2 old computers (Toshiba and a DELL) and so far they haven't handled it. and have died after 2 years :(

:) hope someone can help!

20. splitpea macrumors 6502a

Large print posters with complex layers, yeah, you'll want either the 16gb or not to be running anything at all else on your computer at the same time.

Web design you should be fine with 8gb, probably a little cramped on 4gb. Unless for some reason you need to keep a dozen files open at once.

21. Emii93 macrumors newbie

Can you upgrade the 13.3" Regular (not retina) MAc Book Pro to a 16gb

22. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

Yes, on 2010 and newer models.

23. fratey macrumors regular

Editing 6 days a week on 1280x800 is an awful experience, though.