Is a 4" screen going to be enough?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sedrick, May 12, 2012.

?

Is a 4" screen going to be enough?

1. Yep, 4" is the sweet spot

117 vote(s)
    41.5%
  2. No, 4" is old hat now. Apple needs to go 4.3"

80 vote(s)
    28.4%
  3. No, Apple needs to knock it out of the park with 4.8"

35 vote(s)
    12.4%
  4. No, I'm happy with the current 3.5"

50 vote(s)
    17.7%
  1. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

Back 2 years ago when the iPhone 4 came out, a lot of people where stunned when Apple didn't go to a 4" screen. Most of the competition had moved to 4" and they were wonderful to use.

I was peeved and very disappointed, so I did not get the iPhone 4 and stuck with my 3GS. A year later, there was much clamoring and expectations of Apple's new phone going (finally) to 4". Nope. Just the 4S. Again, I stayed with my 3GS. Having an iPad made this a decent arrangement.

The 3GS finally gave up the ghost, but no way was I going to give Apple my money for a 4S, so I bought a used 4 off ebay. I'm still using that.

Now, it's about 5 long months until the next iPhone drops and my choices are to wait (for the 3rd year) for Apple to finally get with the times and go 4", or to jump ship and get a modern size phone by another maker.

Now, to the point of the Poll: At this late date, is 4" going to be enough for you? Almost everyone else has moved on to 4.3" or more (sounds very similar to what happened when the iPhone 4 was released, doesn't it?).

I'm not sure a 4" iPhone will be enough after 2 years of waiting. How about you?

2. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

screen size is not the most important factor to me; i'd much prefer the same screen in the same body than a larger screen in a larger form factor. if they managed to squeeze in a bigger screen without adding heft or bulk, then sure, i'd be all for that.

3. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

4. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Look again. ;)

5. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

I feel they should go to a 4.3" size. And everybody with an iPad knows how big 4.3" is: just open an iPhone-only app on your iPad, and tada: there's a 4.3" iPhone display.

I think that's a comfortable, nice size - and an iPhone would only become a few millimeters wider.

6. mtnbikerva1 macrumors member

Apple needs a 4.8 inch screen!
    They could sell two screen sizes the one they have now and a larger one for the rest of us.

7. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

I want a 10" screen that fits in the space/weight of a Nano in my pocket and the current iPhone size when using it as a phone.;)

8. mrochester macrumors 65816

As long as Apple maintains the ability to use the device one handed, they can shove in any screen size they like :)

9. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

First off, Kudos for an excellent post !

I can speak from experience on the topic of display sizes, since I've had Galaxy's of every size. 4", 4.3", 4.5", 4.65", and soon the 4.8" Galaxy S3.

Debunking the "phone is huge" myth is easy. Most the criticism is all wrong. Yes at 4.8" the phone is definitely larger & may not be to others liking, but for those like me that use a smartphone as it was intended to be used, one must have a minimum display of 4.3". That results in a phone only marginally larger than a current iPhone.

Silly as it may seem, there's quite a difference from 4.0" to 4.3". Enough to rule out a mere 4.0".

Being highly mobile, the larger 4.65 to 4.8 works perfectly for me. I'm very eager to receive my 4.8" SGS 3.

Yet that said I am a very enthusiastic Apple guy that would be thrilled if Apple could bring themselves to put a contemporary sized display of 4.3 to 4.65 on the upcoming iPhone. If they did, then even though I always carry two phones (iPhone & Android) I could promote my iPhone back to where it belongs as my Primary Smartphone. :)

10. matttye macrumors 601

I can use my 4.3" S2 comfortably. My fianceé's 4.7" HTC Sensation XL does not really feel any bigger when using it if I'm honest, although by looking at it you can see the screen is substantially bigger.

I haven't tried but I think I could use a galaxy note one handed - but only just.

11. torana355 macrumors 68020

Apple need to get with the times and go with at least a 4.3" screen. I can use my sisters S2 with one hand easily. The people that want a small screen obviously don't use smartphones to their true potential, if they don't like a slightly bigger phone then go and buy a simple small Nokia or stick with the iphone4s while the rest of us enjoy a real size screen.

12. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

Yey! :p

13. DroidRules macrumors 65816

Another screen size thread.... oh this one is different than the other 10 because you can vote!

I would like a bigger iPhone.

14. mrochester macrumors 65816

I'm not sure how or why one handed use means you '...don't use smartphones to their true potential..'. I'd have thought it was the OS and associated software and services that allow people to use smartphones to their true potential; internet, email, apps, social networking etc.

15. chevy57 macrumors regular

I hope screen will be 4" on iPhone 5. I'm hard to see subtitles on movie screen (3.5") in my iPhone 4.

16. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Why is there this need to be like everyone else? I mean do people really feel inadequate because of the screen size of their phone?

17. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I am getting older and losing my vision, so I'd like a bigger screen. For me it is not about fashion but the fundamentals of readability.

18. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

I would rather maybe, a better battery or quad-core before I upgraded my screen size. 3.5 inches works just fine for me. I have no problem using it, nor do many people I know.

Phone screen size is getting ridiculous. Phones are way too big and monstrous now. If I wanted a big screen, I would buy a TABLET. Really, Going past say 4.4 inches is just becoming too big. 3.5 is perfect for me, but 4 inches would be good too.

19. blairh macrumors 68030

blairh

I've been hoping for a larger screen for quite some time. But honestly it wouldn't surprise me if Apple sticks with 3.5" this fall. Like many others, I'd be disappointed, but my guess is that LTE would be enough to keep many on board.

iOS is pretty excellent IMO, and I still have yet to handle an Android device that would really make me switch. I have handled the One X on several occasions and despite the fact that the screen is much nicer than the retina display, the device is still too big IMO. The One S is nice but the screen is a step down from the One X and I wouldn't join T-Mobile. The S3 is also too large IMO.

I know a lot of us think Apple is bringing a 4" to the market this fall, but I really don't think that's a given at this point.

20. chambone macrumors 6502a

chambone

A 4" screen will be plenty. Despite all the whining on here, I still haven't seen a single good reason why a bigger screen would be better.

----------

Agreed. My gut feeling is that they'll release a phone with a 4" screen, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if they stick with the current retina screen.

21. KAB2010 macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted

So you complain about the thread, then give an answer to it? Makes sense. Man some of y'all should enjoy life more and complain about little things less.

22. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

I have to agree with what others have said.

I larger screen would be nice, but more important is the size of the phone. If they can keep the phone about the same size, but increase the screen, I'd be all for it. If they'd have to increase the phone size, I'm content with staying with 3.5".

23. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

24. PerfectDB macrumors regular

I feel the same way. While any screen size increase from the current 3.5" would be welcome, I think 4" wouldn't feel as big an upgrade compared as say 4.3" or even 4.7".

I've had a chance to play around with the One X, and was blown away by it's display - It's simply the most beautiful screen I've ever seen. I'm seriously tempted to swap my 4 for one, but I would prefer not to jump ship from iOS.

Even if the next iPhone had a 4" screen, it would still feel very small compared to those on Android models. I think iOS 6 would have to offer something pretty revolutionary to keep me from moving to the One X or the SIII.

25. surjavarman macrumors 6502a

4" IS NOT THE SWEET SPOT!

I can confirm it since I went from a 3.5" to a 4.3" which I am currently using and even that is simply too small. I am constantly wishing for a bigger and higher res screen. Besides 4.7-4.8" is not much bigger than 4.3". Look at the one S and one X for example.

Don't let anyone else tell you otherwise but 4.7-4.8" is the new format and its the perfect format. Get used to it cause it is really the sweet spot