is.a bigger screen pretty much gonna.mean worse battery life?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by aliensarecool, May 6, 2012.

1. aliensarecool macrumors 6502a

aliensarecool

2. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

3. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

Sure if your going to hook just a new screen that is bigger up to the exisiting platform it would use more battery to power. But since we don't know what kind of battery technology apple is sitting on ,and if the next processer will use much less battery no one knows the answer.

4. emjaycee18 macrumors regular

Yes a bigger screen does mean worst battery life. However, a bigger phone can fit a bigger battery.

5. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Not necessarily. A bigger screen will suck more power, but a phone with a bigger screen can also fit a larger battery.

Look at the iPad - that thing lasts way longer than the iPhone, mostly because it's able to fit a humungous battery.

I'm sure there's a point where the battery life becomes worse before it gets better... don't know where that point is though. And I can't really calculate it without making a lot of assumptions

6. GeeSixx macrumors regular

GeeSixx

7. x-evil-x macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

There can be other things to makeup for the screen size. Chip is a big factor on battery life also.They can also increase the size of the battery if the phone is bigger...

8. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

My Titan is over an inch bigger than my 3GS in terms of display. I get up to 3 days out of it, where my 3GS provided 1.5 max. There are many, many factors that affect battery life. OS, power draw of components, battery size, battery quality, display technology, signal strength (cellular, wifi, etc)... to name a few.

9. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

10. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

Sent by telegraph. :p

11. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

My Lumia with a 1,800 milliampere-hour battery (vs the iPhone's 1,400) got about 4 hours of usage with a 4.3" screen (vs the iPhone's 3.5"). The relationship between screen size and battery life is not linear - you need a larger battery before a larger screen to achieve the same battery life.

12. takeshi74 macrumors 601

All else being equal, yes. However, in the real world no one would pair a larger screen with the same battery as stated above.

13. Xgm541 macrumors 6502a

Also keep in mind that new screen technology could mean less power usage.

14. mark28 macrumors 68000

An iPad has superior battery despite a bigger screen. So your claim is false.

15. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

Not necessarily. If they kept the same 960 x 640 resolution, than you'd get 288 ppi (in case of a 4 inch display). If that's the case, than you'd need less backlight to get a higher brightness.

16. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

The Ipad has a different battery doesn't it?

17. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

It's like a higher density battery. The battery in the iPad 3 is barely thicker but it'd almost twice as powerful.

Currently, the iPhone has one of the lowest density batteries compared to batteries found in other mid- to high-end smartphones. There are basically two reasons for this: Android smartphones are usually more power hungry (hardware area and software) whereas the iPhone is more efficient (both hardware and software). The second reason is that Apple is a cheap company, if I can put it like that: Apple always tries to save on hardware components and they only spend more when they are absolutely sure it enhances the user experience (like the retina display in the iPad).

So they are also saving on the battery as a hardware component itself: they'd rather wait for prices to drop.

18. emjaycee18 macrumors regular

Actually if you re-read what I wrote, I also said that a bigger phone can hold a bigger battery. The iPad has a much larger battery than the iPhone, due to its screen and housing size. So your claim is false.