Is a Core Duo MBP worth it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macgeek18, Feb 14, 2011.

1. macgeek18 macrumors 68000

macgeek18

Hey guys quick question,
    I got offered a 2Ghz Core Duo 15" 1,1 MBP with 2GB of RAM and a 100GB HD,Combo drive;and ATI x1600 with 256MB of VRAM for $500. I was just wondering if it is worth buying? It does blow all my PPC Mac's out of the water, but I read that it won't run SL as well because it's not x64? Can you clear that up for me? Anyways it's in really good shape except it's missing one case screw and the screen is a little wobbly. And the battery is a new replacement with only 12 cycles! So I was just wondering if I should jump on this, my main purpose for buying this machine is because it's an Intel Mac, run's SL, and I need it for Apple development software because I want to learn to program app, and i want to beta test software. That will be it's use.

Thanks for any replies.

2. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

In simple words, Core Duo is lightyear behind Core 2 Duo which is lightyear behind current Core i5/i7.

3. mdgm macrumors 6502a

It would be better to get a newer machine, maybe even a second hand Mac Mini if you don't need portability.

The Core Duo machine will run Snow Leopard, but obviously as it's 32-bit, it's useless if you need to test 64-bit stuff.

4. macgeek18 thread starter macrumors 68000

macgeek18

Ok. I will avoid it then and try for a C2D MB. Thanks for the quick response.

5. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Compare the price to a refurbished white MacBook and decide.

6. macgeek18 thread starter macrumors 68000

macgeek18

Yeah, I may just wait another week and next refurb Late 09 MB I'm just going to grab if it pops up in the refurb store.

7. MultiFinder17 macrumors 68000

MultiFinder17

8. Angelo95210 macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

Hi

You might have to think about the price, but I am presently writing on this machine exactly and this is by far my favorite. It runs SL perfectly and consumes less memory because it's 32 bits so 2GB are enough for me. I do light work on Adobe CS3 (PS,AI) and use Indesign a lot. For Office it's a perfect computer.

I have a more powerful computer (imac 24" C2D) but I prefer to work on this laptop. Only thing I wouldn't use it for is video editing though.

So I would say if you can get it at a good price go for it.