Is a skin necessary on the back of the iPad 2?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by Mjmar, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Mjmar macrumors 65816

Like many people I purchased a Smart Cover with my iPad 2 on launch day. Coming from the original iPad with the hefty Apple case on it, it's going to take some time to get used to this new cover, especially since I'm OCD about scratches. However I'm wondering if my fear of scratching the brushed aluminum back is irrational, as I remember the iPhone 1 and it's resistance to scratches. For those of you that had an iPad 1 with an exposed back, how has it held up for the past year? Do you think a skin is necessary to avoid scratches or is the aluminum body resistant to them? Thanks.

2. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

Your fear of scratching the aluminum if very rational. Aluminum is pretty easy to scratch - I will be putting a rear skin on as soon as I can find one.

3. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

It's not irrational -- you don't want to look like a slob and also want preserve as much resale value as possible. I'm with you.

Yes, you will need a skin or different case. I just ordered a Macally Bookstand2B case which is similar to the Apple Smart Cover but/ a tad less sexy (don't think it uses magnets) but has a back protector.

4. aperry macrumors 6502a

I wasn't very careful with the back of my original iPad and it resulted in several light (but visible) scratches on the back. I would guess that it knocked about $50 off the resale price for mine.

The new one has a different shape, which I would expect to make it less likely to scratch. It won't "wobble" all over the place because the back is pretty much flat (which also distributes the weight better, resulting in lower pressure at any given point of contact). But, if you're not careful with it, I'm sure it'll still gather some scratches.

5. jedolley macrumors 68000

That actually looks pretty good. However, so did the first Bookstand and that didn't turn out too good. I might give this a try anyways or wait for your to report back. :D

6. coolbreeze macrumors 68000

I so wish apple offered the old case design for the iPad 2. I hate the magnet cover and don't like that it offers zero back protection. The old case was awesome.

7. sotie macrumors 6502

If left unprotected I think the aluminum back will attract light scratches through normal everyday use unless you're extremely ocd with it.

With my iPad 1 I didn't get any scratches but I ALWAYS had it in a leather folio type case with front and back protected. However, I really want to try and use Apple's smart cover because it's great how it really shows off the slim profile of the device. So I've decided to go with a Black faux leather skin on the back for scratch protection to match my black smart cover. I'd say there's a 50/50 chance I'll abandon this after awhile and just go back to a folio style case in the future.

8. alan111 macrumors regular

I would think that you need a skin on the back if you're only going to use the smart cover.... unless you don't care about scratching it up and whatever.

9. fop91 macrumors newbie

Case Scratches

I know i will get Flamed but I'm happy with these little tabs. I love the smart cover but did not want to scratch the case either. I put these small plastic tabs on the corners. They do not interfere with the smart cover and are very small. Bought them at Lowes.12 for $2.50.

Attached Files:

10. aperry macrumors 6502a

For the time being I took an extra screen protector from my original iPad, cut it to an appropriately sized rectangle with a paper cutter, and carefully placed it on the back. The rectangle is small enough that it stops just before the back bends around to the edges, and it doesn't cover the camera or speaker.

Admittedly it's not the prettiest thing in the world, but it's not very noticeable and it'll keep it protected until I find something better.