Is a Special Prosecutor Needed to Investigate Possible Republican Bribery ?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Plutonius, Mar 9, 2017.

1. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

It has been reported that the Trump White House is holding a bowling / pizza get together at the White House in order to get Congress to pass the proposed health care law.

Could this be considered bribing Congress for their votes ?

2. 0007776 Suspended

Nope, this wouldn't be bribery. It might be a tad hypocritical since its business as usual and Trump ran against that, but nothing illegal or close to bribery.

3. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

The class with the most books sold (thanks to child slave labor) gets a pizza party!

4. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Nah....that's just schmoozing. I don't have a problem with it. It's what he should be doing.

5. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

[​IMG]

6. samcraig macrumors P6

I would be more concerned about the private meetings Trump is having in which he is likely trying to intimidate members of congress. We all know what happens when Trump feels betrayed or doesn't like you. I imagine some of them don't have the stomach to face Trump's twitter wrath and smear campaigns.

7. Populism Suspended

Populism

Are they "private," or are you on the short-list, samcraig?

Links?

8. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Yep, they are afraid of Trump. lol

9. samcraig macrumors P6

Sorry - meetings with various "groups"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-gop-health-care-plan/?utm_term=.e65b0fbc6a4b

http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/08/politics/donald-trump-obamacare-republicans/

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligence...said-second-health-care-bill-coming-soon.html

So remove congress from my statement above and replace it with these conservatives who could make or break it.

10. CaptMurdock macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

Only if it's Godfather's Pizza.
    ;)

11. Populism Suspended

Populism

So, the answer is, no, "I was wrong to use the word 'private'".

It's easier when you get earnest.

12. samcraig macrumors P6

Considering my original post was mostly tongue in cheek/snark - whatever you say Populism.

13. Populism Suspended

Populism

Glad we found common ground - that you agree that your use of "private" was wrong.

Report away...

14. zin Suspended

They're afraid that he'll actually fix the problems the Democrats use as election issues every four years.

15. samcraig macrumors P6

So you think the healthcare plan "as is" should just be approved because it's better that the current ACA? Is that it?

16. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Christ almighty. Every politician wants to fix problems - albeit without upsetting the establishment.

17. zin Suspended

How on earth did you manage to come to that conclusion from my post?

You said people in Congress were scared of Trump and found him intimidating. My point is that their real fear is that he will succeed. If he is aggressive in fixing the inner cities, among other things, and Democrats lose just 10% of the black vote, for instance, then they're toast and they know it. They need these issues to perpetually campaign on every four years.

18. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Nah, the pizza for Trump has got to be Little Ceasars.

19. samcraig macrumors P6

No the real fear they might have is that he will spend the next 2-4 - however many years on a full out smear campaign against them if they don't bend to his will. And as it's been pointing out - it's not congress, but these other conservative groups.

And so far, Trump hasn't shown he's going to fix anything for the working - or out of working man/woman. It's early yet. I do hope he's able to make things better. I just have considerable and justifiable doubts.

20. Eraserhead, Mar 10, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2017

Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

The issues in the inner cities are down to several factors:
    * Unaddressed mental health issues that roll down the generations.
    * Lack of good well paid jobs you can do with your hands not your brains.
    * Lack of government and business accountability towards poor customers.

I'm not really clear on how Trump aims to fix those. The first and last will require more government spending (former is obvious, latter will require more government spending so services can deliver more). The middle will require taxing "robots" so manufacturing and construction become more labour intensive.

21. samcraig macrumors P6

It will also require better education within these communities. But that's a long term strategy and not something that's likely to show improvement within 4 or less years that he alone will be able to take credit for.

22. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Sure. I mean eventually you have to get poorer people to do better at school and be shown that that is a way out. But to do that you're going to have to reduce the capital costs of a middle class lifestyle. Plus it's the 30 year solution, not the tomorrow solution.

And I'm not sure everyone wants a job that they sit at a desk for.

23. yaxomoxay macrumors 68020

yaxomoxay

He has Trump Pizza. The best pizza, with the best ingredients. An amazing pizza. It's big, bigger than any pizza ever made.

24. samcraig macrumors P6

True. One of the interesting things that I got out of some articles and Waiting for Superman was that for a long time the thought was that there are bad schools because they are in bad neighborhoods. But you have to twist that around. There are bad neighborhoods because there are bad schools. Better education doesn't mean that everyone who leaves that school wants a desk job. But good education can help prevent people from making the wrong life decisions both short and long term.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 10, 2017 ---

And it's BIGLY!

image.png
    --- Post Merged, Mar 10, 2017 ---
    Oh - just realized - it will have to be Pizza Hut.

25. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

It must be nice sitting way over there in your police state telling us about our election issues. You must not pay attention to the wedge issues both sides create every 2 years here.