Is a Tent Too Much for Launch?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jman14, Sep 19, 2013.

1. Jman14 macrumors 6502

I plan to spend my night at the Apple Store waiting for the new iPhone. Looking at the forecast 90% chance of heavy thunderstorms.

I am thinking of packing a tent with a rain cover and get there before the rain settles in, in order to keep dry.

Is this too much for a launch, would you bring the tent or just chance the rain?

2. billycuth macrumors 6502a

Why not just park your car right by the door?

3. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

I remember a time when I was so rabid for a new phone but after MANY introductions I found just waiting for it to be delivered a day later was good for me. If you are very young and crazy about Apple, then I say go for it as it is an experience you will not forget. What will you do with your camping gear while buying you phone?

4. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

I'm pitching a tent just thinking about my new iPhone.

5. jtp098 macrumors 6502a

security might have an issue with a tent on a sidewalk..

no?

6. stephen1108 macrumors 65816

Better yet, what will you do with your camping gear when the line shifts? Is that a tent on wheels?

[​IMG]

7. Jman14 thread starter macrumors 6502

I would of course pack it up when the rain clears. It should be done by about 4:00 in the morning.

8. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

I don't get the GIF :confused:

-------

TS call ahead to whenever you are going to make sure they allow tents.

9. Kealohilani macrumors 6502

My local forecast is also calling for some rain. I'm just going to take a poncho and an umbrella. Much more portable and security isn't going to have a problem with it like they probably would for a tent. Just something to consider.

10. lewisd25 macrumors 6502a

Yes, bring a tent...and don't forget to bring a scale as well.

11. morecowbell macrumors member

I think it's fine so long as it's not too big. All I usually bring is a small tent(if weather is expected to be bad), a box or two of KIX, some roast-beef sandwiches to give out to new/potential friends, my Bongos and my Hamster. What else do you really need?

Happy Camping.

12. Vctr macrumors regular

You should go to a Doctor and get that checked out.

13. Baytriple macrumors 6502

Just one set of scales? To gain an accurate weight I would suggest at least three!

14. lewisd25 macrumors 6502a

A food scale should be adequate for checking to see if there are missing parts ;)

15. deeddawg macrumors 603

Don't forget a scale calibration weight as well. Never know if a local gravitational anomaly might throw things off by a few picograms.

16. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

The "scale" is going to be my all time favorite post for this launch! It still put a big smile on my face!:)

Would how much power is in the battery affect the weight of the phone?:eek:

17. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

If the weather is going to be that bad, I would just order it online and wait for it .

18. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

Take one of these bad boys:

[​IMG]

19. SHirsch999 macrumors 6502a

I hope there's no metal in the tent poles or you might have a rather shocking experience.

20. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

The answer to this will absolutely depend on the location of the Apple store. Technically most malls have the right to shoo you from the premises (even forming a line), however Apple generally talks to the mall "cops" before hand so as to avoid issues.

Apple fans are usually pretty nice people (in terms of honoring lines, not in terms of forum talk LOLOLOL) and are generally cool with you going to your car. I have waited in Des Moines, San Luis Obispo, and Boston, and people were all cool with waiting in cars and then getting back into an orderly line about an hour before the store opened. I have seen people bring sharpies and write numbers on people's wrists, one guy made printouts (this was for the Xbox 360, but still), and others just use the honor system.

21. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Wait...you're planning to camp out for something like 18 hours overnight to buy an electronic device...and you want to know if pitching a tent is sensible, or over the top!?:eek:

22. Iphoneness macrumors 6502

Iphoneness

The way I see it, we're CAMPING out, so what's wrong with using a tent to camp? Wouldn't you use a tent to camp if you were in the woods?

I personally am not using a tent because it's suppose to be very nice out tonight, but I see nothing wrong with a tent if weather is suppose to be bad. To each his own!

23. Hustle macrumors 6502a

I hear Ikea have pop-up houses these days. Why not take one of those? You can bring the wife and kids then. :p