Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sphumi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2013
I purchased an iPhone 5 about three weeks ago and some said the yellow screen was just the glue but it is still very yellow. :/ I compared it to other iPhone 5s and they all had clearer/less warm tones than mine did. I think I still have a couple of days to return my iPhone but I'm not sure if I should...

I tried adjusting the hues with a jailbreak but after clearing it up I notice that it might have a bluer hue on its left side and a warmer hue on its right side. Is there a picture that will confirm the uneven tint?

mossme89

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2009
If it's just the hue, it might just be the new screens. I noticed my iPhone 5 screen is much warmer than my iPhone 4 screen or maybe even the 4S. Kinda like it, but that's just me.

Can you post a picture? Maybe take a picture in the mirror if you don't have another camera.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
I purchased an iPhone 5 about three weeks ago and some said the yellow screen was just the glue but it is still very yellow. :/ I compared it to other iPhone 5s and they all had clearer/less warm tones than mine did. I think I still have a couple of days to return my iPhone but I'm not sure if I should...

I tried adjusting the hues with a jailbreak but after clearing it up I notice that it might have a bluer hue on its left side and a warmer hue on its right side. Is there a picture that will confirm the uneven tint?

Yellow tint is not glue, never has been glue and never will be glue. Sadly, people still cite it as fact.

Second, if you have uneven tint, thats 100% a defect, take it back. I've gotten those before, very distracing while reading anything.

If the yellow tint bothers you, also a good reason to take it back.

mossme89

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2009
Second, if you have uneven tint, thats 100% a defect, take it back. I've gotten those before, very distracing while reading anything.

I had something similar with my iPhone 4 when I got it the weekend it came out. It had a yellow band going across the bottom of the screen. I went to the Apple Store and they replaced it right away.

sphumi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2013
Yellow tint is not glue, never has been glue and never will be glue. Sadly, people still cite it as fact.

If the yellow tint bothers you, also a good reason to take it back.

But how do I show them that it is uneven? Only I can tell when I am on certain pages, but you have to look closely to tell. But is there an image I can use to show the uneven tint?

cruzmisl

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2012
A large portion of screens I've seen are warmer. But if you are having trouble making a solid case about why its defective, you might need to reconsider whether it's really defective.

I've only seen one iPhone 5 out of 10 that was not slightly bit more yellow near the top of the screen.

sphumi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2013
A large portion of screens I've seen are warmer. But if you are having trouble making a solid case about why its defective, you might need to reconsider whether it's really defective.

I've only seen one iPhone 5 out of 10 that was not slightly bit more yellow near the top of the screen.

At a glance, it seems that the top is more yellow than the bottom... but I need an imagine that will clearly show it. I looked up iPhone uneven tint and no one has any pictures so I can compare.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
This old chestnut ! :rolleyes:

Apple did a little to help users in the iOS 6 Update.

Some opinions say its not a defect.

I tend to concur.

corvus32

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
USA
If it has uneven tint or color along one side, just take it back if it's bothersome. There's not much you can do. That said, no two panels are exactly alike.

My iPhone 5 has a slight yellowish tone along the bottom, but overall the screen is bluish. Its white point is not ideal.

OTOH, my work iP5 has no unevenness. It's slightly warmer overall by comparison, but whites look better as do colors and contrast. Its white point is obviously closer to ideal (natural daylight, 6500K).

Personally, I prefer warm saturated images with colors that pop. I enjoy using warmcards and cranking the colors up a notch on my dSLR, my Costa del Mar sunglasses have the amber tint, I feel energetic on a sunny day, etc.

SweetDove

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2012
Is it yellow?
Does it bother you?

If you answered yes to both or one of these questions send it in.
I had a light leak on my ipad (only from an extreme angle) I sent it in, and they had a new one to me in 3-4 days. I just called, told them, and sent it in. It even had dings on the metal on the sides (but NOT where the leak was)

It's pretty easy to send stuff in if it's still under warranty. You could even take it to an apple store and maybe get it switched right there.

zooby

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2008
Is it yellow?
Does it bother you?

If you answered yes to both or one of these questions send it in.
I had a light leak on my ipad (only from an extreme angle) I sent it in, and they had a new one to me in 3-4 days. I just called, told them, and sent it in. It even had dings on the metal on the sides (but NOT where the leak was)

It's pretty easy to send stuff in if it's still under warranty. You could even take it to an apple store and maybe get it switched right there.

But isn't it always going to be refurbished? Idk... I'd rather have one that never had problems to begin with. I got my iPad replaced for a dead pixel with a refurbished one and it ended up having ANOTHER dead pixel AND light leakage. Wouldn't it be easier to get my money back and buy a new one?

----------

If it has uneven tint or color along one side, just take it back if it's bothersome. There's not much you can do. That said, no two panels are exactly alike.

My iPhone 5 has a slight yellowish tone along the bottom, but overall the screen is bluish. Its white point is not ideal.

OTOH, my work iP5 has no unevenness. It's slightly warmer overall by comparison, but whites look better as do colors and contrast. Its white point is obviously closer to ideal (natural daylight, 6500K).

Personally, I prefer warm saturated images with colors that pop. I enjoy using warmcards and cranking the colors up a notch on my dSLR, my Costa del Mar sunglasses have the amber tint, I feel energetic on a sunny day, etc.

See that's what I'm not sure about... how do I know if it is yellow or warm??? All I have is my sister and father's phone to compare to - and both definitely have less warm/yellow displays.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.