is ACD 24" really worth all the €?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by angusslo, Dec 26, 2009.

1. angusslo macrumors regular

angusslo

So, I have ACER x243hq display. This is 24 inch, and I'm happy with it. well, when i unplug my MBP, it starts to make that strange noise which I can't stand, so if I am doing anything like homework or stuff like that at my table, it's really annoying. So there I am, thinking of buying 24" ACD LED display. is it worth that 700€ which is A LOT, I can get bloody low end 42" LCD TV for that money! thank you for your answers

2. eyefoniac macrumors 6502

eyefoniac

I think this one is really up to you. The ACD is a really gorgeous screen, but like you said, quite pricey. Is there an Apple store near you to go check it out in person (if you haven't already that is)?

3. Fishrrman macrumors G4

"So there I am, thinking of buying 24" ACD LED display. is it worth that 700€ which is A LOT,"

I'd suggest either an HP 2475 or a Dell u2410.

Either one will give you comparable quality vis-a-vis the Apple display, at about 1/2 the price tag. If you watch for a sale, the Dell can be found for excellent prices.

4. angusslo thread starter macrumors regular

angusslo

well, i kinda like the idea of dual link or whatever it's called the connection between ACD and MBP giving me extra 4 USB slots (though i have USB hub, this is more um, stylish)

so, to sum up; will I be blown away with the picture or not? is there any other display which is glossy and has glass over?

5. DarwinOSX macrumors 65816

You can get refurbs from Apple for $599 or education price is $799. Its an excellent monitor. I would expect it to be replaced by a 27-inch model once the iMac rush is over. The 27" iMac screen is better. You won't need to buy an extra power adapter for traveling so it saves money in that sense.

6. bobob macrumors 68030

bobob

Wow! 700€ for a low end 42" LCD! That seems extremely expensive to me these days.

7. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

I absolutely believe the ACD is way overpriced now, next to the new iMacs. How can you justify a $900 display, when just 300 more dollars will get you the same quality display (sans a measly 2.5" of screen real estate) plus a full out computer?

Apple's pricing strategy always lags behind (i.e: current Macbook vs. 13" MBP), and I for one believe Apple will soon drop the price on the 24" display. It just doesn't seem worth it at the moment.

8. reebzor macrumors 6502a

reebzor

The refurbs are definitely worth the price. I think the display should have retailed for $600 instead of having the refurbs at that price. $900 for a display is a little ridiculous, though it is an amazing display especially if you'll use the isight, mic, speakers, usb hub etc. I am very happy with mine.

9. elfxmilhouse macrumors 6502a

well a 21.5" imac is not useful to me when i have a macbook pro that i want hooked up to a monitor.

i scored a 2 month old 24 cinema display on ebay for $550. it was also nice to know that it did not have any dead pixels before i bought it.

10. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

I understand, but don't you see the large price discrepancy going on here? For a mere $300 more, you get a computer with your display. Also think how the Mac Mini sells right now, for only a 2.26 , limited RAM upgrade options, and almost a 10th of the hard drive size of an iMac. And for what? $600 USD?

My argument is strictly about value and I am directly addressing the OP's question. Taking all that into account, the 24" should be cheaper.