I think I missed this editorial the first time around, but, I heard the author on the radio today and so I went back and looked it up. Increasingly, it is impossible to graduate from high school or get through the first year of community college without passing Algebra. The author asks the question, "Why?" http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/29/opinion/sunday/is-algebra-necessary.html?pagewanted=1 Now, as it happens, I really believe in the value of mathematics, and, I use algebra every day, mostly subconsciously I would say. But, in truth, most people don't. I wish everyone could see the sheer beauty of electromagnetic theory, but, it won't happen, and, you don't need to, in order to drive a bus. The author pleads for common sense: For my own part, I think high school and college math requirements should be beefed up a bit more, for science and engineering students. But, roughly 10% of jobs require algebra: http://www.usnews.com/news/stem-solutions/articles/2013/09/09/are-we-misinterpreting-the-stem-crisis Why require heavy math of the other 90% of people?