Is Alphabet City (in New York City) a safe place to live?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by deannnnn, Jul 6, 2010.

1. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

I'm a student at NYU beginning my Junior year in the fall. I've lived in the NYU dorms for the past two years, but I'm going to be getting a studio apartment to myself in the fall, so I have a question for all you New York City living Mac users!

I've noticed (online) that there are a lot of newly constructed buildings popping up with really nice looking apartments over on Avenue C, for great prices (for example). I've never really been that far east over the past few years, and while I'll be checking out the area for myself later this week, I wanted to know what it's like from some people who live or have lived there.

To me it seems worth it to have a nicer place that's a little further away, but will I be safe walking home in Alphabet City late at night?

I lived on 14th & 4th my Freshman year, and 23rd & 3rd this past year. I absolutely loved the 23rd street area, Madison Square Park, Shake Shack, etc., and I'm obviously going to be taking a step down from all that.

Any advice? Thanks for your help.

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Completely gentrified neighborhood. Was a war zone in the 70s and 80s. I went bar hopping down there a few months ago. The only down side is being so far east. It's a long walk to the subway.

3. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

My fiancée's cousin lives between C and D. It's a nice neighbourhood, feels safer than most urban neighbourhoods in London (which is where I know). However, most of the parts in Manhattan and Brooklyn I've been to seem really gentrified to begin with.

4. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

I just learned a new word. :)

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Completely. I don't know why anyone would be worried living over there. There's a Whole Foods on Houston for god's sake. That made my skin crawl. :)

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

The gentrification of alphabet city was one of the themes of the musical Rent. :)

7. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

I don't watch many musicals. Here they're all pretty much directed by the same guy. :mad:

8. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Holy crap I can't believe how expensive rent is up there....$1650 for that? :eek:

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Manhattan is ridiculously expensive for what you get. That's the reason I chose Chicago over NYC.

10. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Andrew Lloyd Webber. :p

11. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

It's still worse here, trust me. :p

12. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Exactly what I was thinking, he was saying "Great prices" too, what's a bad price ? :eek:

My mortgage on my new 3 story house is less than that...

13. deannnnn thread starter macrumors 68000

deannnnn

Thanks everyone for the help :)

I've heard that it's all been gentrified, I mean, I've been living in the East Village / Gramercy for two years and I haven't once felt like I was in any kind of danger. Only problems I've had is that my IPHONE WONT WORK (at&t...), haha.

It will be annoying to be so far from the subway, but I'll make it work.

As for the prices, it's really sad that $1650 is a good price for a studio apartment, but it's New York. You don't want to know what a two-bedroom on Central Park is worth ;)

EDIT: $20,000/month for a 3-bedroom on the park

14. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

LOL. My aunt lives on West 76th between Columbus and Central Park West. 1 bedroom in a brownstone, 4 floors to walk up, been there since the late 60s, pays only $826 in rent.

15. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

As everyone has said it's a safe spot now, as is manhattan on the whole. I was out at some bars in the area last weekend and had a great time, didn't feel like I was in a sketchy area for a minute.

If anyone is interested, this is pretty cool: http://projects.nytimes.com/crime/homicides/map

16. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

I paid 1620 for a studio in LA at one point :eek:

17. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

It's a great place for a young student. Lot's of other students / young professionals in the area. A lot of cool places to hang out.

You'll like it there.

18. JulesNYC macrumors regular

Hi-Fi bar on Ave A is a great place. Best jukebox in the city.

19. IndustrialSpace macrumors 6502a

If you HAVE to ask... its prolly not safe for YOU.

So like, you've been ensconced for the last 2 years and have no idea of the aves downtown.... yikes!

Your best bet is to have mom and dad continue paying the outrageous room and board for NYU, lest you get ganked out in alphabet city.

Hey man, do you get around the city in that purple trolly NYU runs? LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!