Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deannnnn

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 4, 2007
New York City & South Florida
I'm a student at NYU beginning my Junior year in the fall. I've lived in the NYU dorms for the past two years, but I'm going to be getting a studio apartment to myself in the fall, so I have a question for all you New York City living Mac users!

I've noticed (online) that there are a lot of newly constructed buildings popping up with really nice looking apartments over on Avenue C, for great prices (for example). I've never really been that far east over the past few years, and while I'll be checking out the area for myself later this week, I wanted to know what it's like from some people who live or have lived there.

To me it seems worth it to have a nicer place that's a little further away, but will I be safe walking home in Alphabet City late at night?

I lived on 14th & 4th my Freshman year, and 23rd & 3rd this past year. I absolutely loved the 23rd street area, Madison Square Park, Shake Shack, etc., and I'm obviously going to be taking a step down from all that.

Any advice? Thanks for your help.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Completely gentrified neighborhood. Was a war zone in the 70s and 80s. I went bar hopping down there a few months ago. The only down side is being so far east. It's a long walk to the subway.

steviem

macrumors 68020
May 26, 2006
New York, Baby!
My fiancée's cousin lives between C and D. It's a nice neighbourhood, feels safer than most urban neighbourhoods in London (which is where I know). However, most of the parts in Manhattan and Brooklyn I've been to seem really gentrified to begin with.

anjinha

macrumors 604
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA
Completely gentrified neighborhood. Was a war zone in the 70s and 80s. I went bar hopping down there a few months ago. The only down side is being so far east. It's a long walk to the subway.

My fiancée's cousin lives between C and D. It's a nice neighbourhood, feels safer than most urban neighbourhoods in London (which is where I know). However, most of the parts in Manhattan and Brooklyn I've been to seem really gentrified to begin with.

I just learned a new word. :)

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois

Completely. I don't know why anyone would be worried living over there. There's a Whole Foods on Houston for god's sake. That made my skin crawl. :)

deannnnn

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 4, 2007
New York City & South Florida
Thanks everyone for the help :)

I've heard that it's all been gentrified, I mean, I've been living in the East Village / Gramercy for two years and I haven't once felt like I was in any kind of danger. Only problems I've had is that my IPHONE WONT WORK (at&t...), haha.

It will be annoying to be so far from the subway, but I'll make it work.

As for the prices, it's really sad that $1650 is a good price for a studio apartment, but it's New York. You don't want to know what a two-bedroom on Central Park is worth ;)

EDIT: $20,000/month for a 3-bedroom on the park

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
As for the prices, it's really sad that $1650 is a good price for a studio apartment, but it's New York. You don't want to know what a two-bedroom on Central Park is worth ;)

EDIT: $20,000/month for a 3-bedroom on the park

LOL. My aunt lives on West 76th between Columbus and Central Park West. 1 bedroom in a brownstone, 4 floors to walk up, been there since the late 60s, pays only $826 in rent.

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
AH-Doormat_400x400_1_jpg_400x400_upscale_q85.jpg

pilotError

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2006
Long Island
It's a great place for a young student. Lot's of other students / young professionals in the area. A lot of cool places to hang out.

You'll like it there.

IndustrialSpace

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2009
somewhere
If you HAVE to ask... its prolly not safe for YOU.

So like, you've been ensconced for the last 2 years and have no idea of the aves downtown.... yikes!

Your best bet is to have mom and dad continue paying the outrageous room and board for NYU, lest you get ganked out in alphabet city.

Hey man, do you get around the city in that purple trolly NYU runs? LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.