Is America the greatest place in the world to live? Is it number 1?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by G51989, May 18, 2014.

1. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

Don't get me wrong, I am a proud America, proud of the people of this country, I find it generally full of nice,hard working people.

I've lived in France, and a little bit in the UK. I travel all the time all over the world. And I've worked all over the world, and still do.

I've noticed in America, people tend to go " Well this is the best country in the world! We have it the best! We have the best Everything! Murica! "

[​IMG]

I'm not saying America is a bad place, its not. Its awesome on so many levels, and I love living and doing business here, for now.

But...is America in denial about how great is it? I think so....

I think America has lots of good points...but compared to some places I've been in Asia and Europe, it doesn't seem to be as good...

This is what I think is wrong with America

No high speed mass transit
    No single payer healthcare
    No affordable college
    A healthcare system that costs more than any other system does in the world, which regularly crush's people and entire families with bankruptcy and debt, and it isnt even in the top 10 best systems
    Turning into a Police state via the NSA
    Crumbling infrastructure
    Religious Zealots ( not violent, yet )
    Failing schools
    War on Women
    Massive military industrial complex that rules the country alongside Wall Street
    Plutocracy
    Outdated infrastructure
    Poor safety nets and services
    Military worship on a Soviet Union level ( I support the troops, just not any of these wars they've been in )

I love this country, but it could use some serious work and updating, and I don't think its the best country in the world anymore.p

But I think it used to, and it could be again.

2. boast macrumors 65816

boast

3. G51989 thread starter macrumors 68030

G51989

No, lots of countries have it. But the blind Nationalism in America is pretty limited to America in the first world.

4. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

I forgot where I read it, but globally it seems Switzerland is regarded as the best all around nation on earth.

That is where I would live if not the USA

5. Hieveryone macrumors 68020

6. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

I tend to judge America as a whole and on a state/city/region basis. I've traveled plenty, and IMO America has the largest span of difference across the states. Even weather wise this is the case. America is unique in that regard, as I haven't been to any country yet that varies so much depending where you are. For that uniqueness alone, I'll say America is at least in the top 5, and is #1 against other superpower countries.

Now America as a whole is at a crossroads. But that seems like the case for awhile, and for many other countries too. For better or worse is the big debate.

7. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

China is probably somewhat similar in terms of geography. About the same size. Lot's of cultural/ethnic/linguistic diversity.

8. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

One thing that used to define America is a certain, often naive or misguided, but still refreshing at times, idealism.

One sees some of that in Europe, but, not as much. And, very little elsewhere, where fatalism and/or cynicism often rule.

Granted, idealism can be led astray. Sometimes it backfires. Unfortunately, it isn't always easy to say if, when, or how one should intervene, in a Syria or Rwanda or Vietnam.

9. G51989 thread starter macrumors 68030

G51989

Yes, I think their are people in America that have great ideals that could help the common people in America, but with the current state of America, it won't happen.

Not nearly as much, European governments have been VERY VERY good at giving the normal citizen a much better life than Americans get.

I tink that idealism is overridden by defense contractors

Korea
    " Missile Gap "
    " Bomber Gap "
    Vietnam, Iraq, Iraq, Afghanistan, is all about funding the fatcat defense companies.

10. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

Hmmm.

As Harry Lime said: "In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

For a number of years I used to work in Basel for a 3-4 days a month and although it's obviously a fantastic society, I think the politeness and cleanliness and general bloody niceness would drive me mad if I lived there permanently.

11. G51989 thread starter macrumors 68030

G51989

yes, I agree with all of that.

I think that Europe in general is very far ahead of America in Political systems and culture.

Just because it has existed much longer.

12. Happybunny macrumors 68000

My personal idea is America is without a doubt the best country to live in if you earn $250,000 salary per year, and have great health care.

But I do believe that for the vast majority, life is a daily grind, with very little to show for it.:eek:

13. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

This is about right. Even the people making $250K feel pressured. It circles back to the plutocracy, which also exists in Europe, but I believe they are typically smarter than American plutocrats as far as keeping the masses mollified and willing to grind it out.

14. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Well our aristocracy has been there for a thousand years. And we travel so we know what life is like outside our own country.

15. Happybunny macrumors 68000

Except for the Russian and Ukrainian oligarchs most of the super rich keep a low profile when it comes to politics, and certainly do not openly try to screw the general public over.

I think memories of 1789 see to that.:p

16. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

17. macmesser, May 19, 2014
    Last edited: May 19, 2014

macmesser macrumors 6502a

Are your kids better in some absolute sense than your neighbors' kids? Pondering this question, and your question, might not be very productive.

We don't have the highest standard of living, nor of economic freedom. We seem to be the most technologically advanced (perhaps not always a plus). We eat well, seem to be mostly fair minded, friendly and open. There are many possible pros and cons. When comparing countries it depends on what you're looking at. There is no "best in the world across the board" but more like personal favorites based on what's important to whomever is making the comparison. Also there are other factors, some quite intangible, that inspire loyalty to one's country.

----------

Are you kidding? A low profile only keeps one from being noticed, not from being a dominant player.

18. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

I grew up in your country,I'm quite fond of it,but I've chosen to live in London.NZ has a lot going for it but freedom,real freedom is not one of them.The choice for me is between the two world cities,London and New York.I've chosen London and am happy with that choice.
    I can dress how I like,say what I like,be who I wish to be.Sorry rugby,racing and beer never did it for me.

19. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

20. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Western European standard of living is higher though. We get more holiday and lower working hours.

And you clearly haven't travelled if you think Americans eat well.

21. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

Pretty sure I have all those same rights...

When was the last time you came over? Trust me. We have a lot of freedom here.

22. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

How many days holiday do you get a year? We get at least 28 including public holidays. I get over 30.

23. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

Minimum of 28 holidays. So same as you basically.

Oh and this-http://www.dol.govt.nz/er/holidaysandleave/parentalleave/partnersfathers/whatisavailable-pf.asp

24. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

A few years ago.I have family in NZ and as I say I'm fond of the place and in fact proud,the first NHS,first with universal suffrage and so on.

I don't want to start a pissing match about freedoms it's just that I feel less constricted here.I've lived for a long time in both places and prefer here.Just personal choice I guess.

25. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Between the US and Canada I would choose Canada. My tax money gets spent more reasonably and there are far fewer crazy left/crazy rights.

I technically could get European citizenship through my wife so I might try out Europe for a while later down the road, until then I can't really comment on that side of the world.