Is an Apple Cinema Display 30" from UK(PAL)would work on an (NTSC)America Mac Pro 4.1

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by BrioBriss, Jan 30, 2013.

1. BrioBriss macrumors regular

I've been answered that yes, but I REALLY want to be sure before buying, I don't want to be stick with a Display that don't works with my Mac Pro:

Title said pretty much everything. I heard Apple Cinema Display aren't zoned, but I really want to be sure before I buy one. My only worry is if the tension difference will fit etc.

Thanks for the help!

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Silly question, it's not a TV, it's a monitor so it's not even relevant.

3. BrioBriss thread starter macrumors regular

Well, and about the PAL vs NTSC tension difference, wouldn't it bring problems?

4. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

It's not a TV, it has no tuner inside so it is not a valid nor relevant question.

So, yes it will work, a monitor will always work as long as the GPU can output the resolution/refresh rate.

A TV, /Pal/Secam/NTSC (Tuner) works with lines, not pixels

5. simsaladimbamba

What is a "tension difference"? As I wrote before in one of your other threads, NTSC and PAL are TV broadcasting standards, a 30" ACD is a computer display, and computer displays don't give a ****, if the content they display is from an NTSC or PAL source (DVD or "BluRay").

6. BrioBriss thread starter macrumors regular

Tension Power isn't the same in America vs Europe. This is my point about if it'd works

7. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

If you want to see TV on the display you need a (USB)Tuner on the Mac, it will then output the signal to the display, no worries, if you buy the right Tuner it will work.

Tension Power:confused:

8. simsaladimbamba

NTSC has 29.97 frames, or 59.94 fields per second, PAL has 25 frames / 50 fields per second. Again, this does not matter on a computer display, only on a TV, though modern TVs are able to display both formats quite well.

You do not need to worry about this.

9. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

If I understand that correctly, by "Tension Power" you mean 230V/50Hz AC in the UK and 120V/60Hz AC in the US? If so, the Cinema Display supports both.

And, NTSC and PAL are Television transmission standards, the computer display transmission standard in a Cinema Display is DVI, which is the same allover the world.