is an ipad THAT much better than a kindle fire? should i pay the extra $$$

Discussion in 'iPad' started by aliensarecool, May 4, 2012.

1. aliensarecool macrumors 6502a

aliensarecool

a tablet is not something i'll use a whole lot, just occasional web browsing or something like facebook when i don't wanna get up and get on my PC. i'll just use it occasionaly for basic things...how much am i missing my settling for a kindle fire? i got a refurbished one for $140 and debating whether or not to keep it, or a pay a little bit more and get something that is quite a bit better.

is the kindle fire even one of the better tablet that are out? or is it pretty far down the list?

2. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

3. nfl46 macrumors 603

I've had both. I put ICS on the Kindle Fire and it made it much better. However, the iPad is in a league of its own.

4. azentropy macrumors 68000

azentropy

Well you already got a kindle fire so try it out in the like you keep it if not sell it. I think the Kindle fire is one of the best cheap tablets out there but there are much better tablets overall including the iPad.

5. Rodster macrumors 68040

I also own both the Fire and the latest iPad. I love the Fire but only because of the Amazon ecosystem and Amazon Prime plus the FAOTD. If you don't buy a lot of stuff from Amazon or read books on a tablet you might want to consider either an iPad or maybe something else. If you plan on playing the latest games then you might want to spring for an iPad or an Android tablet. Don't really know what you plan to do with it.

As far as games go, everything I have on the Fire works great. If you paid $140 for it i'd at least suggest using it, you might like it. You have 30 days if you bought it from Amazon. :)

6. Anti-Lucifer macrumors 6502a

I don't own one but my one of family relative does. It's worthy of it's price tag. That's it. What you pay for is really not much of what you get (compared to an iPad).

The screen I do find is actually more pleasant to use than the iPad 2 due to the pixel density. But the response of the Kindle Fire (UIX), it's utter s#@*

7. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

It all depends on how you plan to use your tablet.

For reading I prefer my new Kindle Touch. It's e-ink technology is exemplary. Combined with it's compact size & light weight it's terrific for reading, even for long periods of time.

My wife's Kindle fire is less of a reader & focused more towards an all around tablet. She likes it's size & light weight, along with the Amazon store.

This year I bought an iPad 3, and gave my iPad 2 to my wife. We now have the flexibility of the two distinctively different devices.

Nothing beats an iPad, for everything except reading. As much as I like my iPad 3, it's not as dramatic of an upgrade over the 2 as some would have you believe. For optimized Apps the display is brilliant. For most web sites, not so much. That's not a criticism, just sharing my perspective.

So, it really depends on what you will be using it for and how much you want to spend.

8. xraytech macrumors 68020

Going by specs, eh... you decide.

[​IMG]

9. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

The Kindle Fire is horrible compared to the iPad. We have two iPads and one Fire. With three adults in my house. If the two iPads are already in use, the third person will wait till one is free instead of using the fire. Our fire hasn't been touched in almost 2 months.....wait maybe three.

10. heavy2healthy macrumors regular

I had the nook, I mainly read. The iPad is much heavier but is easier on my eyes.i find myself using it a lot and I also have a kindle e ink reader which collects dust now.

11. OafTobark macrumors 6502

OafTobark

12. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

iPad, 1st gen > Kindle Fire

I tried the Fire and returned it. I found the interface not that great and you really need to be a Prime member and purchase content to fully utilize to its extent. Although I am a Prime member, I still would rather use a first gen iPad over it.

If you're just doing basic browsing and FB like you said go ahead and keep the Kindle but an iPad will dance circles around it.

13. Iamthinking macrumors regular

How do you know what you'll use it for?

I hear from people contemplating an iPad (some have been contemplating since the 1st gen) that " theyll only use it for reading, or light surfing, blah blah."

My feeling is, unless you've got one, you don't *actually* know for sure what you'll use it for.So just buy an iPad and it may surprise you" . you may find yourself using it for things you just plain haven't thought of. I have a strong suspicion that this is why the iPad has been so popular- it never gets old, and you find yourself using it in wasy you never dreamed of. Also, developers are only just now figuring out things that would work best for the iPad, so I believe the best is yet to come, as far as uses go.

Iamthinking

14. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

It's the difference between champagne and carbonated piss.

15. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

My dad has a kindle fire and I am impressed with it for the price. It's a good device if you'd like to put that $300 to more practical use.

16. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

The Kindle purchase is to get you to buy Amazon. You can opt to put your own media that is not from Apple on the iPad. You get choice.

17. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Actually you can put your own content on the Kindle Fire as well, with about the same amount of formatting troubles you'd have with the iPad. Try using both devices before you make asinine and false statements like this one.

18. boltjames macrumors 68030

boltjames

Android phones and tablets are merely Apple knockoffs for the ignorant masses.

Without 4G it's worthless to an executive. Kindle Fire is a college students cheap w-fi dorm companion. Can't be mentioned in the same breath as the The New iPad.

BJ

19. jkeith0919 macrumors member

I had a Kindle Fire. It was awful! The screen was not responsive enough, I had to reboot it multiple times a day to get it to work properly & apps are horrible. I gave the Fire away & got an iPad. I'm MUCH happier with the iPad.

20. Mdifilm macrumors regular

Same. iPad 2 hands down. New iPad definitely better too.

21. blackhand1001, May 5, 2012
    Last edited: May 5, 2012

blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

If your gonna buy a 7 inch tablet spend the extra 50 bucks (249.99) and the get the galaxy tab 2 7 inch. It has Android 4.0 stock out of the box and is very responsive. I played with it in best buy the other day. It also has two cameras, bluetooth, and an IR blaster so you can control TV's. Its also not locked down like the kindle is stock and it has the play store (market). IMO this is one of the best deals on the market and if you really want a tablet is a good option to fulfill that need. Tablets are cool but I have yet to find anything that any of them fill that other things don't do just as well so spending 500 is a bit much for one in my opinion. I have an ipad 2 (from my mothers work) in my house but I am considering picking up a galaxy tab 2 as well since its similar to my nexus.

22. Timoke6 macrumors member

23. MacAttacka macrumors 6502

Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE i know who got sucked in by a cheaper android tablet, every single one of them sold them on and bought an iPad. They couldn't get over how amazing it was.

First of all decide if you want a tablet or not. If you don't want or need one, skip it. If you decide to buy one make sure it's an iPad or nothing. Android doesn't come close.