Is anybody else hoping for a refresh of non-retina MBP's?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jfremani, Sep 28, 2013.

1. jfremani macrumors regular

I really like the 1650x1050 anti-glare screen of the MBP. For the money you get a solid quad-core mac that is very friendly with corporate IT environments that require using Windows-centric applications.

I think in a few years the higher resolutions found on rMBPs will be normal though, and then I'll need to get one of those. However, I'm living in the present.

I couldn't do the 13" unless it offered a 1440x900 screen.

2. yliu macrumors regular

Apple is pushing the MBAs as the 'budget line' laptops, while the retinas are their higher end models.

I don't see much reason for them to continue the cMBP. Maybe they should keep making the 15 inch non retina models, as high performance laptops at a budget, but the 13 inch is likely to be replaced with the MBA.

3. Atomic Walrus macrumors 6502a

You won't enjoy hearing this, but some of us are hoping the cMBP never gets refreshed because it will push the rMBP prices down. If the rMBP is the only serious laptop Apple produces they'll have to set the prices closer to the old cMBP pricing.

4. *~Kim~* macrumors 6502

Nope, the screens look horrible to me. I swear Apple has deliberately made them worse on the cMBP since bringing out the rMBP, to try and make more people fork out for the rMBPs. Screens on friends older cMBPs look better than the ones on display in the store. A shame really, because I otherwise would have gone cMBP just because it is possible to upgrade the hard drive later.

5. TechZeke macrumors 68020

TechZeke

Or you are just victim to store lighting, or because of the fact the rMBP has a better display, for which side-by-side it of course makes the cMBP look worse. I guarantee if you saw your friends cMBP's in the same situation they would look the same. While not an IPS display, on my cMBP's screen the colors are still great and the horizontal viewing angles are almost equal to IPS.

My cMBP screen looks exactly the same as my friend's 2010 15" MBP. Next time he is around, I would be happy to show you a side-by-side picture.(If I remember)

6. Fairfax macrumors member

I am hoping for a cMBP refresh for the fact that everything wont be soldered together and I can repair the laptop myself when the warranty expires. I am still using a 2006 MBP that is on its third logic board. My fear is that :apple: will release a refreshed cMBP with no DVD drive and everything is soldered together.

7. Rick-ITA, Sep 28, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2013

Rick-ITA macrumors regular

I was going 100% sure for rMBP (in any case I need a computer) but now I hope they significantly drop cMBP prices (999$ / 999€ would be great - they did something similar with white macbook years ago) and in that case I will buy it. With my Apple on Campus discount I can add a 128gb SSD instead of the superdrive and still saving 400€ more or less from the retina version.

We will see. cMBP is Apple bestseller, I don't think they will drop it now. Either they upgrade it and keep the same price, or not upgrade and sell it with a nice discount.

8. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Wow, you've been speaking so positive about the rMBP until now.

I doubt the cMBP will get refreshed. The real question is if this is the year it will get discontinued.

9. Rick-ITA, Sep 28, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2013

Rick-ITA macrumors regular

In any case I'm not sure at all about what to do. In the other discussion I wrote that, given the actual prices, is nonsense to buy cMBP but, with a price drop, things changes.

May I ask a question? cMBP has no HDMI port. How do you connect an external monitor? I guess via USB 3.0. May this handle full HD (1920x1080, nothing more) resolution?
    Oh I forgot the TB port. I can use a TB to HDMI?

10. jfremani thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, you're supposed to use the Thunderbolt port. There's very inexpensive adapters to go from thunderbolt to HDMI or DVI. Works great. On the more expensive side you have thunderbolt hubs which is the direction I'm looking to go, (if I don't get a thunderbolt display).

11. jfremani thread starter macrumors regular

There's so much focus on making the Air's small that it takes away from the performance. I'm tempted to get an Air, but I'm not sure if it can handle the fact that I run a Windows VM constantly for Visual Studio and a few other things.

I love the design of the rMBP and how quiet it is, but the retina display throws me off sometimes in corporate environments when I need to give presentations and RDP into various other servers and use non-retina friendly custom applications.

12. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

13. mcarling macrumors 65816

No, the cMBP does not sell well at all compared to the MBA or rMBP.

I hope you are prepared to be disappointed.

14. Starfyre macrumors 68020

Starfyre

I doubt the cMBPs will be dropped. Hard drives are still much cheaper than flash memory. Once prices of flash memory fall to be much cheaper than they are now... then I could see cMBPs dropping then. Not to mention the problems graphics designers have to deal with on the retina display vs the non-Retina display. Not this latter point would be different if this rumored "Hybrid" display were to come to the retina...

15. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

Not seeing why there are problems. Just set the screen scaling down or your DPI's you're designing in different. Should work, right?

16. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

You're also betting on the fact that Apple isn't a capitalist company in the business of making money.

17. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

I've got my fingers crossed but also I'm not going to throw a tantrum of a four year old if it doesn't get upgraded.

18. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

Some of us don't want to be forced to max out our MBPs now, in order to ensure they will be useful 3 years from now. We pay a bit more now, to ensure we can have max RAM at a cheaper price, and that we can eventually dual SSD, or have 1 SSD and a 1TB HDD whenever we feel the piece point is right. Those buying rMBPs are VERY limited in what they can do a couple years down the line.

If this is the last of the line for cMBP, you will see them greatly rating their value, while the 8Gig rMBPs take a dive - IMHO.

19. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

I would take a top of the line cMBP

Love my Anti Glare screen - prefer over the retina.

I also always purchase used - and only purchase if I can get a really good deal.

20. Atomic Walrus macrumors 6502a

Nope, I'm not. the rMBP will drop in price eventually (13" already did) to come in line with the overall market and to attempt to pick up some of the customer losses from the discontinued cMBP line. In other words, in this case lowering the prices slightly means making more money.

21. yangchewren macrumors regular

YES. I HOPE for refreshes.

I am going to get a antiglare 15" along with my retina MBP (will be getting both for free)...

Max out the 15" with two samsung evodrives. Yeah bitch

22. Sarmiento macrumors member

I would welcome a refresh. I like the way the retina looks but not every application has optimized their apps for the retina. I did a quick tally and only 1/3 of the apps I use are optimized at almost a year mark.

I would love to see the rumors of some new hybrid laptop. Perhaps something in between the MBA and the retina with a better screen than the MBA but more storage, thunderbolt and USB plugs.

Guess we will know soon enough.