Is anybody selling their iPad 3 to get the iPad 4?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by bobright, Oct 25, 2012.

1. bobright macrumors 601

It seems everybody in here is either selling their iPad 3rd gen to get the mini or is a first time iPad 4 buyer

Anybody selling their iPad 3 to get the new one? I got it on launch about 6 months ago so feel kinda hesitant to sell and purchase but I'm leaning towards it. I notice on my iPad there is small hiccups where it freezes opening Tweetbot or loading YouTube videos...so it'll be nice to have the speed my iPhone 5 has which is blazing quick.

2. tacos1799 macrumors newbie

Hello. There aren't really many upgrades justify the cost IMO. There are only three major upgrades in it:
    -Faster A6X Chip
    -FaceTime HD Camera
    -Lightning Connector
    Generally speaking, previous gen iPads typically can be sold for around $100 less than retail when the new generation comes out. So it all comes down to whether those three upgrades are worth the $100 for you. Hope this helps.

3. Poochi macrumors 6502a

Poochi

I am buying a mini first to see if I like it. Meanwhile I have listed my iPad 3 for sale.

If the price is good enough I will sell it and consider if I need the 4 after testing out the mini.

a $499 16GB last year sold for $375 to $400 after 1 year, if the iPad 3 can go for $400 to $450 I will sell it otherwise it will probably sell for about the same amount next year.

Prices for Apple product is always depressed right after announcement, after a few weeks when the supply dies down, prices rebound somewhat.

Don't sell your device at the worst time people.

4. mac jones macrumors 68040

If I can get a decent amount.....maybe.

It's not at all important IMHO

(Except for gamers)

5. Poochi macrumors 6502a

Poochi

I am actually thinking iPad 3 may not go down as much as people suggested.

Reason being, a lot of people are stuck with the old connectors and are probably not ready to upgrade everything they have for a few more years.

iPad 3 would be the highest spec iPad they could get that still uses the old connector (compatibility). After ther rush is over and people realize iPad 4th generation is not that much of a difference in real world usage, iPad 3rd generation value will rebound.

----------

iPad gaming is still inferior to PC/Mac Pro gaming :)

For the games that require super fast processor that is...

6. mac jones macrumors 68040

True. And for that amount it is tempting.

7. m11rphy macrumors 6502

I've put mine on eBay to see what I get for it and I will preorder the 4 in the morning. If my iPad doesn't sell on eBay I'll cancel the the 4. no money is taken until its shipped so loss

8. tann macrumors 68000

If I was a bit older (and had a good job and was not a student) I could see myself giving my iPad to my mum (to replace her 1st gen) and getting the 4th.

But if people ask I would tell them to hold onto their 3rd because I think the next version will be quite a bit nicer :).

9. martinm0 macrumors 6502a

Anyone know if the iPad 4 has an updated IGZO display for less power and heat? That would be my only reason to upgrade (the 3 gets overly warm sometimes).

10. mac jones macrumors 68040

No.

11. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I think that many are buying too much into the hype. If you've got an iPad 3 I see no reason to take a substantial financial hit to sell it and then purchase a 4th gen model.

I will probably upgrade to the 5th generation model and take advantage of the likely redesign and who knows what other improvements.

12. Poochi macrumors 6502a

Poochi

Not so much about wait and see... and doesn't need to be financial hit.

What people fail to realize is that the price they are getting right now selling iPad 3 is pretty much the same price they will get when the next iPad releases.

If they wait a few weeks or a month or 2 after the spike in the 2nd hand iPad 3 supplies dies down, iPad 3 resale price will rebound and will actually be higher than they are today.

This is evident in the previous generation iPads and iPhones. Just that the this is not the information those resellers want you to know.

13. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

I saw an article stating there are a crazy amount of iPad 3's put up for sale during and after the announcement. I'm going to upgrade the wifey's as an xmas gift.

14. Medic311 macrumors 68000

Medic311

the only way for upgrading from an iPad 3 to an iPad 4 to be worth it would be if you qualify for Apple's unofficial 30 day return policy for store credit (i do and will be returning it tomorrow). the other way that it would be worth it is if you will take a $50 or less hit when you flip it on eBay. the reason why i say this is because the resale difference between the iPad 2 and the iPad 3 Retina is ~$100. i don't expect the iPad 4 to carry more than a $50 resale premium over the iPad 3, so i would draw the line at $50 hit for it to be worth it

despite the iPad 4 having the A6X which was a badly needed, most users would either not notice a difference or wouldn't care enough either way. what i predict will cause a huge problem on Craigs List and eBay will be sellers purposefully and accidentally tricking buyers by just calling the item "iPad Retina" and the buyer thinks they are getting the latest iPad. when it arrives and they see the old 30-pin port they will file a claim. there will be a lot of claims headaches

----------

^ THAT

if people are truly looking to flip their iPad 3's, it would make the most sense to wait until December

15. Ih8reno macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

No reason to upgrade that I see. Mine is just as awesome as the first day I got it.