Is anyone actually considering buying the 5C

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by applefangordo, Sep 11, 2013.

1. applefangordo macrumors newbie

Either in contract our out? Seems like Apple didn't really think the pricing thru. Their stock took a huge hit because of the higher than expected pricing. I personally think the extra 100$ subsidized is well worth the higher end components, specs and features.

2. mrcheezit macrumors member

Nope. At first I really liked the white 5c with the black case but then I realized that $100 for a much better quality phone isn't too much to pay... I agree that the price for the 5c is too high. It should have been free on contract and maaaybe $300 out of contract.

3. jrswizzle macrumors 603

jrswizzle

I wasn't even looking for it to be Nexus-pricing.

If it had been $450 off-contract, I would've considered picking one up IN ADDITION to the 5S I'll be getting.

At $350-$400, I would have definitely bought one.

That was my one big disappointment with the keynote. Though if you look at it, its an iPhone 5 in a plastic shell, which isn't necessarily cheap. The price point they start at (16 GB for $99 on / $550 off) is the same price as the iPhone 5 would've been if they had kept it around.

So really, it's not all that surprising. The whole plastic/color thing was to appeal to a different group. Maybe it'll work, maybe it won't. We'll see.

4. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

$100 to expensive. At $450 I was going to move to the "C" platform since I'm paying full retail from here on out. But at only $100 savings I'll stick to the flagship phone.

5. weaverra macrumors regular

YES! The people who only by phones with a two year contract will. $100 vs $200.

6. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

If the no-contract price is cut 40%, I'll buy two of them.

7. malnar macrumors 6502a

malnar

My wife's going to get a blue 5C. She has no need for pretty much anything the 5S has to offer. And, honestly, the aluminum shell of the 5/5S is going to be far more prone to showing wear than the plastic of the 5C. She refuses to use a case so I'm content with her getting something that might look better longer.

And anyone scoffing at $100 clearly has money to burn. Plenty of people are stretching their budget these days and $100 extra is the last thing they need to be spending if they don't really need it or even care.

Remember, the 5S isn't a "much better quality phone," it's just a different phone. Talk like that makes it sound like the 5C is barely going to work, is going to fall apart, etc. It's the iPhone 5 in a different back. It's going to be a great device. Justify getting a 5S because you want it and love it, period. You don't need to justify things you like.

8. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

9. hillbilly181 macrumors member

Yes, I'm pretty sure I'll be getting a 5C.

First of all I'm a 21 year old old male who wont be using my phone for more than calling/texting/browsing, and maybe some app usage.

I am not a tech junkie who needs the highest speed processor. I don't need the professional looking case as I won't be using my phone for intense things. I read another user on here that says that the 5c looks like a toy... and that's precisely what it is for me and most others my age.

The White on Black design looks badass.

The price is a fraction. (I'll be on contract)

There isn't a single 5S feature that would be worth upgrading for. Fingerprint sensor... don't care. Slightly better camera... like I said I'm not a nerd and the 5c is more than sufficient. A7 instead of A6... I'm sure that's a slight improvement but again, don't care.

I don't use a case and I don't want to look like a nerd with the high end aluminium exterior when the masses start getting the basic 5C. For what I do I simply do not need that much power.

Additionally I am currently using a 10 dollar phone as my last iphone had died and I've been waiting for this and would like it ASAP. With the 5c being available for preorder tomorrow night, and the 5S being subject to hoards of nerds waiting in line to acquire, I question when I would actually be getting a 5S in hand, and the difficulty it would take to acquire one.

Before this all went down I was completely planning on getting the 5s. Didn't even consider the 5c. When it came out though, I almost instantly thought it would be the better choice for me.

Hope this suffices with ya'll

10. zman2100 macrumors regular

zman2100

I doubt there are many people browsing and posting on the MacRumors forums who will be getting a 5c. People like us see that the 5s is only $100 more than the 5c and is a much better device. People who are buying the 5c see it as a huge $100 less than the 5s and they still are getting a new iPhone that has almost all the same features.

11. weaverra macrumors regular

The 5c has been upgraded some from the iPhone 5. They added more LTE bands. A1532 CDMA will have full LTE compatibility on all the big carriers in the US except Sprint. Also the camera sensors got some minor upgrades as well.

12. applefangordo thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry but I don't think $100 savings over 2 years is worth the tech sacrifices of the 5C over the 5S. Heck if you're willing to make those sacrifices and price is an issue go for the free 4S.

13. Iphone5preorder macrumors 6502a

If you are buying the iPhone C due to finances, you should NOT be buying a new phone. Period. End of story.

Now, if you want one for the color aspect like my friend, fine. But I would personally never buy one. 5S for sure!

By the way, is it just me or are the colors all girly for the C?

14. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Ok, well last year a ton of people bought the 4S even though it was $99 when the iPhone 5 cost $199.

And the year before that a ton of people bought the iPhone 4 for $99 even though the iPhone 4S only cost $199.

And this year you can get the lesser-phone for $99 even though the new one costs $199. Sound familiar?

Clearly there are a ton of people out there who don't have a problem with this pricing. It's exactly the same as it has been the last few years so I don't see why everyone's so shocked.

15. weaverra macrumors regular

It's good to know that to everyone on macrumors $100 is pocket change. Also most of the people that make claims like this put these phones on plastic and don't even realize how much they are actually paying for them If I want an iPhone I actually save cash and buy one. $700 let alone $600 for a phone that I will use for maybe two years is a lot of money. Instead of waffling over $100 difference on the phone why not spend $200 get a good used iPhone and invest the $500 plus for several years and reap interest off that and pay for you iPhone's from then on. Even buying a new one and selling it you lose half the value.

----------

Throwing $400+ down the drain isn't worth a new unsubsidized iPhone either.

16. daijholt macrumors 6502a

daijholt

The 5C pricing definitely seems to be designed for contracts. It'll be a big hit in China no doubt if the subsidies are good enough, and it'll take off her in the UK for sure since we often get free handsets with contracts anyway, and the 5C could come with quite a low line rental, for an iPhone at least.
    I'm actually considering buying a 5C in the next few months for my girlfriend, but because of it's colourful design, not its price. I did expect much lower than £469 though.

Thinking about it, it's possible they priced it quite high to rapidly kill any thoughts of it being the "cheap" iPhone, since the last thing Apple wants the iPhone brand to be labeled as is cheap. If so, they'll likely make next year's release of the 5C much more affordable off-contract.

17. zman2100 macrumors regular

zman2100

The point is that if you're purchasing a phone that you'll be using for two years and paying the monthly contact that will, at minimum, be $50/month (and likely quite a bit more), the extra $100 for the better device works out to be less than $5/month over the course of those 24 months.

18. Satnam1989 macrumors 65816

I feel like there are too many closed minded geeks on this forum...they all fail to see that the iPhone 5C is a GREAT device, sure it doesn't have what the iPhone 5S has.....but thats the differentiating factor...saving $100...is for some people two months of service. All the geeks here are just stuck on the iPhone 5S or no jam situation.

Also the 5C is a HUGE step forward for those coming from iPhone 3G,3GS, 4 and 4S. Only those of us that are coming from the iPhone 5 (remember "us" here on macrumors don't make up the world lol) see the 5S as a superior device.

Anyway I'm sure there will be PLENTY (We will find out monday coming up how many Preorders have been made for the 5C) buying the iPhone 5C.....I think apple decided to hold off on the 5S pre-order to actually see and show how popular the 5C is and to prove a point that its a great device to those that think otherwise.

19. weaverra macrumors regular

I'm just now getting in the market of a used 4s or 5. I HATE cell contracts. You do pay for that phone whether you think so or not in higher monthly rates.

20. vigilant macrumors 6502

vigilant

So a few things to note, first I don't know if I really blame Apple for the pricing. The vast majority of these phones will be sold on contract, and the carriers and stores are going to price them however they want either way. Verizon sent out emails for the iPhone 5 being sold at $100 to select customers back in May. Best Buy and Wal-Mart usually sell the phones at whatever rate they want no matter what since they make their money off the contract. I don't see the cost for any of these phones really being any issue in the USA.

On the other hand I'm far more curious about the price outside of the USA. In Mexico you see people walking around with refurbished Blackberry's and older Android's everywhere. iPhones are much more of a luxury item there then it is here.

The iPhone 5C I'm sure is a fine device. It's not for me. I'd bet that it's not for most of the people in this forum for that matter. I would have gotten an iPhone 5C for my wife if she didn't already have an iPhone 5.

21. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Yes, but for many of us we have to pay the higher rates no matter what. So if we don't use the subsidy we're paying for both an actual cell phone AND an imaginary phone that we never get.

22. bflowers macrumors 6502a

I'm trying to figure out what to have my mother get. We are on a carrier's employee family plan, so we won't get access to the 5C or 5S for several months. We aren't in a hurry, but are able to still get the 5 right now. I'm wondering if the supposed battery increase is worth both the weight and the wait. (sorry about the pun).

She's going to end up with a case on it, so 'rugged' plastic or metal backing doesn't matter. She really doesn't need the 5S, and I am going to have her put the extra $100 towards Apple Care Plus.

Any suggestions?

p.s. I'm sitting on my 4S until next year, in hopes of a bigger screen.

23. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

I'm a little disappointed.

I mean, look, a Google Nexus 4 is $199. Unlocked. No contract.

I'm using my iPhone 4 and it's become so unusably slow with the latest app and OS updates that I feel like I'm being forced to upgrade. There are lots of compelling options out there right now. For the same price as a 5s I could also get an HTC One, Galaxy S4, Xperia Z, Moto X, ...

I am NOT signing onto a contract this time around. I am currently paying $55/month for a Canadian iPhone plan with 6 GB of data, at the tail end of a 3-year contract. The CRTC recently outlawed 3-year contracts, insisting that our major carriers offer a maximum of 2 years. "OK, fine, we'll just raise the prices", all of our cell carriers said, and BOOM, now you need to pay $75 or $85/month to have a subsidized iPhone with 500 MB or 1 GB of data. Ouch, ouch, ouch. :mad:

So I'm not giving up my plan. Which means I need to buy the phone outright. And I'd rather have an unlocked one anyway, so I can use it when I travel.

I was hoping the 5C might be a viable option to compare against the Nexus 4. $399 and I would have ordered one on Friday. But if it's only $100 less than the 5s, then I might as well get the latest and greatest so I won't feel as frustrated again 3 years from now.

24. Miguel Cunha macrumors 6502

Miguel Cunha

No.
    Not cheap enough for me.
    I think the C stands for somthing else.

25. weaverra macrumors regular

Problem is when you do have to back out of the contract because of a paycut or job loss and can't afford the monthly plan and let's say you have 3 smartphones one year in. You're looking at about $900 just to cancel, but remember you can't even pay the plan. That's the problem with contract phones. I had to do this a while back when things got tight. I had one smartphone with AT&T. I switched to T-mobile and had to pay a $175 ETF. Fortunately it was cheaper that way than to fulfill my remaining contract.