Is anyone else bothered by Apple's adjustment to the "best smartphone" Siri query?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by b24pgg, May 15, 2012.

1. b24pgg macrumors 65816

I realize it's a relatively benign question with subjective answers, but does anyone else feel like this sets a bad precedent? I'm not a fan of the whole "if you don’t like it, censor it" approach that was taken.

(If you're not familiar with this story, I'm referring to this)

2. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

3. batting1000, May 15, 2012
    Last edited: May 15, 2012

batting1000 macrumors 604

Where's there to be bothered by? It's Apple's device and they have every right to be confident in the fact that it's the best phone on the market.

EDIT: Probably came out wrong. I'm not saying the iPhone is or isn't the best phone. I'm merely implying that Apple most likely believes it is because they designed it, obviously.

4. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

It doesn't bother me because it's such a silly question to begin with as you stated. There's no clear answer so why not have phone with it? I can see what you are saying about the censorship and that may be an issue at some point.

5. DanteMann, May 15, 2012
    Last edited: May 15, 2012

DanteMann macrumors 6502

This is without a doubt a very real problem. It reeks of censorship and control in the worst of ways. I can't even imagine if Samsung did this with one of their phones. Can you imagine if this same question was asked on a SGS3 and it answered with "iPhone 4S", and then Samsung changed it to answer it's own phone. Man o man, the hate would be in over flow all over this forum. I just love how it's being down played here.
    Honestly, the whole purpose of siri was to assist you in what you did not want to type manually. So if your looking for the best smartphone, hoping siri does a quick yet very real search on the net, it won't. What else could you not do a "best" query of. You go into google to search manually and you get the real and accurate answer. But you do it via Siri and you get what Apple wants you to know. A very bad precedent indeed.

6. lilo777 macrumors 603

But... Apple may believe in many weird things. Next time they may decide that the Earth is flat and code Siri accordingly would that be normal?

7. Sedulous macrumors 68020

Sedulous

Or Apple is fixing a quirk that gave inaccurate results. Perhaps this issue brought to light a problem with how sources are weighed (in this case, reviews from Best Buy).

8. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Siri isn't a salesperson. How the **** is it supposed to know what the best smartphone is? It's a subjective question.

9. SMIDG3T Suspended

SMIDG3T

No. It doesn't bother me as well as know it's not true! We had someone from Nokia saying that Siri was giving out wrong information! Nokia, it's Apple's piece of software, they can make Siri say whatever they want it to say!

10. Sirolway macrumors 6502

I think part of the problem was that Siri uses Wolfram Alfa for this sort of query, which in turn used Best Buy reviews for this question. As the Nokia hadn't been released in the US at that point, there were very few reviews - too few to be representative.

So Siri was reporting duff information. Stopping that seems like a good thing.

On the other hand, if it used the customer satisfaction data that came out recently, the iPhone thrashed everyone else - scoring 85 (highest ever prior score was 77) to the 2nd place phones' 75.

As 'best smartphone' is subjective, a jokey reply (as Siri now gives) seems like the best policy

11. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Actually I got a great laugh out of the story.

Why get upset? It's just so funny.

Step back, breathe, smile, and think about it... Apple's iPhone says Nokia is better? How funny is that?

If it's true that Apple rigged the software to make that response go away... so what?

The iPhone is Apple's, to do with whatever Apple wants.

Anyone that's been around Apple and is paying attention, they value nothing more than money and control. Apple's history proves it. Yet again I say so what?

No company is perfect, no device or product is perfect... relax & enjoy :)

It's _ONLY_ a phone.

12. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

The thing is, "best phone" means nothing. If they were changing the answers to questions like "which phone has the best battery life" or "which phone has the fastest processor" then THAT would be a problem.

But "best phone?" Can anyone even define that? No, so how can anyone give an actual answer? A joke answer is clearly all that can be said.

I certainly hope Samsung would think their phones are the best.

Samsung should think their phones are the best.

Apple should think their phones are the best.

What's the argument here? That one or both of them shouldn't? I don't get it.

If I walk into a Verizon store and ask what the best carrier is and the guy answers "Verizon" is that also a problem?

Serious question. What do you think about that Verizon guy? Is he wrong to do that?

13. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

I'm not sure why people are getting upset by this at all. I even saw an article titled something like "Nokia accuses Apple of changing Siri response".. accuses? They obviously did it, there's no contest.

The answer to the question was originally a witty response, which is what Apple intended and now the response was correctly reverted to that. To say this is censorship is ridiculous. There is no "best smartphone ever", the answer to that is subjective. It can't be so difficult to believe that Apple would want it's phones to be identified as the best ever (whether they are or aren't) and not advertise another company's phone.

I understand that it's "cool" to hate on Apple things right now and blow them out of proportion, but really it's pathetic that anyone would be so bothered by this. :rolleyes:

14. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

15. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

No, can't say as I give this a second thought

16. chambone macrumors 6502a

chambone

Couldn't agree more. I say a class action lawsuit is in order. I mean, the nerve of this company. I'm selling my iPhone and all my other Apple gear is going too. This is the last straw I tell you.

----------

People who get upset over this must be under 15.

17. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

Zomgz!!!!!

Attached Files:

18. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

I'm more disturbed that there's a discussion about it.

19. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

This hints at the apocalypse. We are surely doomed.:(

20. JAT macrumors 603

So, Apple is a government, now?

21. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Just to make sure I understand this correctly.

Someone is upset that a multinational corporation has done something to a item that it produces to make itself look better to the world?

Say it isn't so!

22. Troneas macrumors 65816

Troneas

its not censor.

its the truth.

it would be slightly humorous if it weren't the best smartphone despite siri's claim however.

just like we don't buy MacBooks or iMacs for their powerful processors, video cards or impressive RAM, we don't buy their iPhones for their screen size, processor cores and what have you. you could buy an alienware laptop for less than a mac pro, for instance.

but no other product has the level of craftsmanship and attention to detail that apple products have. not to mention their customer service.

Samsung and others are still made of plastic for christ sake.

23. PatrickW98 macrumors 6502

PatrickW98

When I asked Siri, she told me this:

Attached Files:

24. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

So this. +1

25. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Siri gave me local results for "Ever" when I asked the question, and someone else I know got the Nokia result...