Is anyone else extremely content with 16gb?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ethereal45, Oct 5, 2013.

1. ethereal45 macrumors regular

I know I am. I have all my music via spotify and iTunes match. Only have about 5gb of local music (which is still hundreds and hundreds of songs). Don't ever play games on the phone -- just news, weather, texting and web browsing.

I've had the 16gb 4S for two years now and I've never wished it had more storage capacity. I have a handful of apps I use on a weekly basis, but they hardly take up any room. I didn't even think about ordering a size bigger than 16gb when I bought the 5S -- so many other things I can think to spend that $100/$200 on.

2. stu.h macrumors 65816

stu.h

Yep, went for a 32GB i5, didn't come nowhere close to filling even half of it.

My 16gb 5s should be here tomorrow.

3. Velin macrumors 65816

Velin

16gb is perfectly fine for the chick and I. We have tons of contacts, apps, a few games. We use the iPhone 5s as a phone and communications/information device, not a portable media player. So for this segment of users, 16gb is great.

If, however, you use iPhone as a portable media device, esp. lots of video, music, podcasts, then go for 32gb or 64gb, you will need it because iOS and native apps eat up around 4gb.

4. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

I still have over 9Gb of free space on my year old iPhone 5 16gb.

My full music library is on my iPodTouch for commuting.

Happy days.

5. Col Ronson macrumors 6502a

people who dont put music on their phones or videos will find 16gb will be enough for most things.

6. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

16 gb is all I need. My music is in the cloud, the only videos I watch on it are on Youtube, and I only keep a few casual games on it. Offhand, I think the Garmin app uses the most storage of anything I have.

7. AFDoc macrumors 68030

Another size thread...... I would have to guess out of the millions of other phones sold many that purchased the 16g are very happy with their device.

If you don't need a lot of space you'll be happy with it, need more you won't be.

My wife has used 16g but needs more space now. So she was but isn't any more.

8. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

I'm stick on 16 Gb since 3GS, but now with my iPhone 5 I'd like to have at least 32 Gb .....

Same for my iPad ....

9. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

10. Ih8reno macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

Always have had 16gb on my iPhones, never once filled it up. I also delete apps I don't use often.

11. Seniordan macrumors regular

16GB for my iPhone and iPad. I never come close to filling up my phone because I use rdio for music but I wouldn't mind having a 32GB iPad.

12. nitromac macrumors 6502

Have had a 16GB 4S for two years, ordered a 16GB 5S a few days ago. It's all I need. I have ~5 pages of apps on my 4S, around 20-25 albums, and one short video. Still have 4GB left. And my music is in 256kbps or higher bitrate.

If I want my entire music collection, I'll take my Classic with me. Otherwise I just occasionally reorganize what I want on my iPhone depending on what I'm listening to at that time.

I don't have any large 3D games on my phone though. I may get one or two when I receive my 5S but even then I think the 4GB extra space will be enough.

I also feel like paying $100 for 16gb more is a ripoff, considering you can get a 16GB SD card for like $10 now. It can't possibly cost Apple $100 more.

13. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

if you don't keep a music collection ... 16 will work fine

14. Kemonsterr macrumors 6502

Kemonsterr

I am! I've never needed more, I got. 32gb iPad mini cause it's my all around media device but a phone is more of a phone to me. I use Google + for all my photos so I never have to leave them on the phone.

15. x5tuu macrumors member

I have an 8gb i4 and it's almost empty (zero apps) other than about 300 pics I have taken with it lol ... I know when apple releases a handset I like the feel of I will need to get a 16gb but till then my 8gb with 6gb free runs like a dream not being clogged with superfluous crap or apps

16. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Its photos/videos that take up the most space. And as file sizes get larger with better cameras, the more space they take up.

So if u keep a lot of photos on ur phone, 16g fills up fast.

17. BeeGood macrumors 65816

BeeGood

I've never gotten close to filling up 16GB.

Once you find a cloud based solution for photos, videos and music you're golden. Paying for storage becomes a waste of $

18. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

I"ve NOT been happy with the 16gb in my iP4 for the last 2 years...

My DSLR died, so I'm most apt to take pictures and video with the phone. I run out of space now - and I expect wtih the better camera on the 5s I will run out faster. Not to mention the better video aspect.

My DD is a new competitive gymnast - I expect my video usage to increase this season as i film her for never there father and relatives in CA.

I expect to keep this phone at least 3 years, so who knows how big apps and such will grow in that time. I just know that 16 was too small, and 32 would have worked, but this time I'm looking forward.

ETA: I also only have about 200 songs I carry on it with me, my whole library is on my Touch.

19. scotrinaf macrumors 6502

I purchased a 32gb for myself because I felt that the 16gb was too limiting. I have less than 100 songs on my iPhone 4S, and I only have around 500 photos, but I do have around 225 apps, my current usage is 17.5gb out of 32... For people that listen to a lot of music, they may want to consider a 32gb...

I wouldn't consider an iPhone as a replacement to a DSLR camera... As a printer by trade, an iPhone's picture quality is NOT suitable for print quality pictures...

20. Kurios2 macrumors regular

Kurios2

Velin is right as far as music and videos. I had a few chess games that were quite large and had to remove one. Audible stories were over a gig for each one, so I ditched a few.

21. c613m macrumors 6502

c613m

I had a 64, 32 and 16. I have a 16 GB now because I realized that I was filling it with useless things that I may or may not use. I have over 50GB's of music that I stream through iTunes Match, so no need to keep any on my phone. I have a few games and mostly apps. Currently have 6GB's free. If I were to travel, I'd probably put 2GB's of music on it and away we go. All photo's get uploaded to my 30GB's in Dropbox. :) 16 is the way to go when you can properly manage your things.

But those who like convenience and just put everything on I can understand as well. I was one of them :)

22. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

dependes on apps and your music collection, dropbox can take a good chunk, also PDF's of books, etc etc etc.

As for me, rocking 32 and only 2GB free, right now I have 11GB in apps, Medscape for example takes about 0.7GB and when you count games they tend to be around 0.5-2GB each even if you have just a few. I don't like syncing stuff back and forth plus having space for videos and pics is needed.

23. g4manimac macrumors 6502

I used to wonder why anyone would need more than 16gb but as of now ive got 1.8gb left on my 5s and seriously looking to expand my music library over the next few weekends but ill be good untill the next generation of iphones come out and then I will make a decision but since there is other ways around the music thing like put certain playlist on there and add and delete I dont know if I personally will ever be able to justify the extra $100 I would have to spend....Only time will tell

24. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

Well I know that.... but I need a phone, and until next spring the new DSLR isn't happening!

When faced with "no pictures/memories" vs "phone quality pics" - i'll take the phone ones over nothing. And my iPhone 4 shoots better pics than my first couple of digital cameras did (an HP and a Sony).... prior to my 20d I had an original rebel, it quit in the middle of my now 9yo DD smashing cake in her face at her 1st birthday. Luckily I was able to switch to a 50mm lens that would somewhat focus and have those pics.

I have an Olympus Tough underwater camera, but my kids tend to take it... again, I'm fine with that - memories captured.

Oh, and my 17 year old daughter takes AMAZING shots with her iPhone 4. AMAZING. She also has a decent Nikon pocket camera but we can't get her to carry it....

Anyway, a new DSLR is on the list. I've missed shooting with it. It just can't happen until probably at least spring.

Meanwhile, I have some pictures with my kids and their elderly relatives... memories.

25. dw3bb10 macrumors 6502

Once Google releases the Google Music iOS app, 16GB will be plenty.