Is anyone else giving up on their war against scratches?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by KittyKatta, Oct 1, 2012.

1. KittyKatta macrumors 6502a

KittyKatta

After spending the first week case shopping and treating my beautiful black iPhone 5 like a new puppy then I've given up and will just let "nature" have its way. Based on my previous Apple products then everyday usage can go either way. My Black Macbook and iPhone 3G looked pretty cheap after it got scratched up and blemished, but the same wear and tear on my original iPhone and Air actually made it look pretty cool.

Im really not sure what the iPhone 5 will look like after a year of use because its a mix of a very industrial look but also is very classy with the glass on back and sexy edges. But in the end this is an everyday device that I'll always have in my purse or pocket so getting it scuffed or scratched is inevitable and now I'm inviting scratches.

How about you? Are you going to keep fighting scratches and scuffs or are you going to just accept it as part of owning a tool you use every day.

:D

[​IMG]

2. mark34 macrumors 6502a

3. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

I haven't been waging a war against scratches. I ghost armored my phone first day, and I've always used a case, although this time I'm using a very minimal one. All is well.

4. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Funny, I wouldn't treat a puppy like a piece of glass, do you often bubble wrap your pets?

5. bogatyr, Oct 1, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2012

bogatyr macrumors 65816

With AppleCare+ I'm not at all worried about my phone. If it ever gets damaged to the point that I'm unhappy, I'll take it in to get it replaced. However to me, it is a tool and as such as long as it works... I'm happy.

EDIT: I don't use a screen protector or any sort of case. Same as the 4S. My 4S has a pretty dinged up back piece of glass and eventually the back shattered while drunk at the beach but the display was perfect.

6. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Scratches are of course inevitable if you carry your iPhone naked (even on the 4/4S), but nicks out of the box or defective anodizing coating is a different story.

I'm perfectly fine if I get a flawless iP5 with non-defective anodizing coating and all the scratches came from me, just as I am with every iPhone since 2007.

7. eggersj macrumors 6502

eggersj

Mine was perfect out of the box on 9/21, have used it ever since without a case, still no scratches at all.

Of course now that I said this... :) (knocking on desk)

8. MacBreezy macrumors regular

I have been back and forth on this very same thing. The phone works flawlessly, is super fast and snappy. My screen looks great but the black aluminum after only a week has started to come off on the corners of the phone where I slide it into my pocket. I'm VERY careful with my iPhones because I always re- sell them. When I look at the back of the phone I get annoyed cause I can see where the black is shining silver. I don't see the point in having the worlds thinnest smartphone and putting cases and screen protectors on that only change the look and feel of the phone. I love it "naked" and that's how I intend to keep it. All that to say this, I will probably go get a replacement and keep it in a Tuch sleeve or something similar to see if I can keep the phone looking nice.

9. Bswartz95 macrumors 6502

Bswartz95

This.

So far, still pristine. White, Verizon 16gb

10. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Yes, it makes no sense to accept defective anodizing coating as normal. If two careful individuals handle two iPhones the same way and one is rubbing off prematurely, that one clearly has defective anodizing coating and should be swapped out for a non-defective one.

11. FieldingMellish Suspended

Scratch acceptance is a form of Stockholm syndrome.

12. bloutrein macrumors regular

bloutrein

Having had 3 iPhones and an iPod Touch without a case I have noticed the following: for the sub iPhone 4 generations, as well as the iPod Touch, scratches appear at the back pretty easy and fast.

iPhone 4 and iPhone 5, however, at least in my case, scratches take their time to invade the device (if at all). In fact it was easier to break the glass back of the iPhone 4 than to scratch its surface (or sidelines).

I have also noticed that with time, one gets used to their iPhone depreciating its physical appearance and by the time you are about to change with the next gen, you don't really care for your old iPhone being scratched (at least in my case).

However, note that the first scratch is always a pain. :eek:

13. R1PPER macrumors 6502

Ive had a bumper on since day one...just had a look and there are quite a few tiny blemishes...but i dont care at all. If i get a 2 inch scar across the back then i might shed a tear....but now the NEW NEW feeling has gone I am happy to get on with my life.

14. mpossoff macrumors 68020

Same here. I got my iPhone delivered at work and the first thing I did after I opened my white iPhone and before removing the factory plastic was I walked across the street to the AT&T store and got front and back Zagg and a Speck Candy shell for now.

15. erratikmind macrumors 6502a

erratikmind

Honestly, I was never concerned about any scratches. It's a phone. If it happens, it happens.

16. evorc macrumors 6502

evorc

Thank you! It's beyond me why people can't advantage of this. I like my iphone naked but I atlease cover the frame and back with ghost armor. The matte finish on the iphone 5 is sickness!

17. NachoGrande macrumors 6502a

This is how I feel, it's nice to have a scratch free phone, but really it's just a phone. I use it to make calls and find information that's it.

never had a case on any of my phones and never will.

18. Yendog macrumors regular

Yendog

It's a phone. I use it all day every day. If it scratches it does. I never use a case.

19. Sir Ruben macrumors 65816

Sir Ruben

Im not getting any scratches :confused:

It was perfect out of the box and over a week later its still perfect :cool:

EDIT: Oh and its naked. Pics available on request.

20. zildMacjian macrumors member

i stick my phone on its own in my pocket and keys in another.

simple.

but if i take my phone a gig or anywhere ill drop stick it in a case tbh ...

21. Surf Monkey macrumors 68020

Surf Monkey

I have up that war back when the 3G came out. I use all my iPhones nude now.

22. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

What I really don't get, is how hard is it to dedicate a pocket for just your phone? Why can't you put your keys, wallet, etc in the pocket on the other side?