Is anyone else hoping not to see an iMac update at WWDC?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by tanker5, May 22, 2014.

1. tanker5 macrumors member

I don't want to see an iMac upgrade at WWDC. Here's why: Intel says that Broadwell chips will be released late this year. IF Apple decides to release a Haswell refresh iMac at WWDC, they are surely not going to refresh the iMac again a couple months later when Broadwell chips are released.

IF there is a Haswell refresh iMac, I would only purchase it if there is an option for a 4K display and Thunderbolt 2 capabilities. I think the Broadwell refresh will probably be a major update, possibly a new design, 4K availability and Thunderbolt 2.

Any thoughts??

2. Saint.Icon macrumors regular

The current iMacs are already Haswell based. I highly doubt they'll be refreshed with 100mhz speed bumps and TB2. Broadwell and TB2 late fall? Far more likely.

As for the design, that's here to stay for at least another couple years.

3. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

They won't refresh it with the same architecture.

4. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

The current iMac design is less than 2 years old, so I can't see it being refreshed anytime soon. I also think that due to the cost of the 4K screens, it will ensure we won't see a 4K iMac for at least another year.

And Broadwell CPU's will be a benefit to portable machines as the major benefit will be battery life and a bump in performance with the integrated graphics. For a desktop PC, Broadwell will bring very little to the table apart from a slight performance boost.

5. iMcLovin macrumors 68000

iMcLovin

I think/hope they will update at WWDC - it doesnt seem unlikely. with the latest i7 chip and geforce 880MX - and probably add a even chaper model to the lineup (which has been rumored). But it will hardly be anything they mention at the Keynote.
    Other stuff that could be changed to the iMac, TB2 and max 64gb ram instead of 32, and an updated keyboard (whichb has been rumored for a while)....but thats pretty much all I can image the next update will get.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't think apple is going to roll out any major hardware announcements at WWDC (computer wise) because there's nothing to announce. When Intel releases the Broadwell chipset then there will be something to talk about, until then...

Besides, Apple has mostly used WWDC to show off their iDevices, so I expect to see new iPhones in WWDC, a little bit of iOS8 and some of OSX 10.10

7. iMcLovin macrumors 68000

iMcLovin

I can pretty much guarantee you are wrong

8. Saint.Icon macrumors regular

Said the guy who thinks WWDC will be all about 64GB RAM and a new keyboard. :rolleyes:

9. iMcLovin macrumors 68000

iMcLovin

Hehe, thats just hoping, but not likely yeah. But new iphones, no way...

10. Saint.Icon macrumors regular

It's already been rumored that there will be a hardware announcement at WWDC. The only hardware leaks around are iPhone. I wouldn't call it guaranteed, but it's definitely more likely than the iMac you're hoping for.

11. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

A refresh doesn't necessarily mean hardware aesthetic change in Apple's world; most often the changes are internal.

That said, the iMac will, without a doubt, get refreshed soon. It has and always will be refreshed at least once per year. Whether that will be at WWDC remains to be seen (though I highly doubt it).

Though I think I can agree with your assessment that a 4K iMac is probably not in the cards this year.

12. iMcLovin macrumors 68000

iMcLovin

I disagree. Except for redesigns the imacs usually comes out with a small speed bump when new intel processors and geforce cards are out. Look at the Buyers guide, that´s the case for the last 5 updates except the redesign (with a 2-300 days update cycle). And a redesign is far away. the days we are in since last update is about the average on every other cycle. A new geforce and a new i7 is just out, so in my opinions a refreshed iMac is very likely.

The iphone on the other hand. It would break up the regular cycles. And, iphone is the MAIN income stream and apples most successful product. it hasnt been released on WWDC for a long time, because Apple reserves a sole event for the iPhone. . . what makes you think they will dull down the release of iPhone 6, especially now that they need to step up their game to compete with the android phones which are closing in.

13. Saint.Icon macrumors regular

So what you're saying is that instead, Apple will break product cycle on the iMac in order to give them a whopping 100mhz speed boost with Broadwell being a few months out?

I'm not saying that the iPhone 6 is guaranteed at WWDC. I'm simply saying that it's more likely than an iMac update - especially one with specs that would rival the Mac Pro. Which I stand by, because the idea of an iMac update taking center stage without Broadwell is idiotic.

14. iMcLovin, May 23, 2014
    Last edited: May 23, 2014

iMcLovin macrumors 68000

iMcLovin

Who said center stage? The iMac won't even be mentioned. I just think that the iMac will see an update with the newly released 880mx and the new intel haswell CPUs - and that wouldnt be breaking a product cycle, it would be a normal cycle. This won't make the iMac more powerful than the Mac Pro it's just a tiny bump and it's just the regular update they do yearly. There's no point for them not to add these chips and update the machine, broadwell will happen in 2015, that´s what I think.
    On WWDC iOS and OSX will hold the center stage. If any products will be mentioned it would be a new Macbook air Retina, new slimmer designed Mac mini or macbook pro which would be worth mentioning. Everything else will just come out together with the rest.

15. Mac32 macrumors 6502a

I'm afraid we'll see another letdown in the gfx department with only a 880M. AFAIK both 780M and 880M are quite disappointing, considering the gfx boost that was given with 680MX. The newer GPUs offer only a small performance boost, but has less overclock headroom and throttles when overclocked. So the late 2012 680MX iMac is still going very strong IMO. Apple did something excellent when they offered the custom 680MX with the iMac. It would be shame if Apple went back to just offering pure laptop GPUs again.

16. Saint.Icon macrumors regular

So what you're saying now is that it will not only be the iMac, but entire Mac line getting updated quietly?

You're high. :rolleyes:

17. iF34R macrumors 6502a

iF34R

I bought mine in March of last year. I probably won't buy another until next year, or the year after. I do enjoy reading about updates, etc., so hopefully there will be a decent amount of info coming up.

18. iMcLovin macrumors 68000

iMcLovin

I´m not saying that, some of these I think will be updated yes. we will see. But I would even bet that if there´s any hardware coming around WWDC, it will be mac related, ipads and iphones will have their own events late summer.

19. cynics macrumors G3

Why would someone hope its not updated?

I guess if I were to hope it wasn't updated would be for selfish reasons, that being I have a new one and want it to stay somewhat new.

But regardless its not like my iMac will stop working. I hope they do update it, I hope it updated a lot so a few years from now when I want to buy a new one its that much better then the one I already have.

20. rambo47 macrumors 6502a

rambo47

I want to see a 15" MacBook Air. No, I'm not holding my breath for that, but I sure would love it!

21. Saint.Icon macrumors regular

Actually, that's specifically what you said. You listed just about every Mac model aside from the Mac Pro and Air in regards to being updated at WWDC.

Are you backtracking from that? :confused:

22. iMcLovin macrumors 68000

iMcLovin

You are reading half my messages and just behaves childish. Think whatever you think and I think whatever I think... I don't care about your opinions.

23. Nismo73 macrumors 6502a

And is Intel even releasing desktop Broadwell chips this year? Are these Broadwell chips just going to be the low wattage ones until early '15?

24. bigpoppamac31 macrumors 68000

You are partially correct. The current design without optical drive is less than two years old. But the current overall iMac design has been around since the white iMac G5. I'm actually curious if Apple can truly innovate with a serious redesign of the iMac. Where they would go from here I'm not sure.

25. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member