Is anyone else NOT hoping for a MBP revision? (Mainly new owners)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wgilles, Mar 13, 2008.

1. wgilles macrumors 6502

wgilles

I just bought a new MBP and love it so much, but I'm a freak and have to have the greatest thing out at the time, like a lot of other people...so I'm not hoping for a revision in the MBP line. Personally I think it's a little out of control to have a new one come out 3 months after a "new" one came out. I think this might upset a lot of new MBP owners, especially ones who aren't extremely up to date on Apple rumors and news and wouldn't know something new is coming out. This is my first Mac and after checking out the Apple web site about new MBPs I decided to buy after waiting for something new to come out so I wasn't really up on all the rumors until after I got this MBP I have now. Does anyone else feel the same way I do?

2. Zeos macrumors 6502

No way. The more updates the better for when I buy my next MBP in a few years. Plus AAPL needs a big-time boost so I can afford my next MBP! :D

3. DannySmurf macrumors 6502a

I don't. I personally buy the computer I want that is available when I want it. I have a new MacBook. If a new model came out tomorrow, it wouldn't automatically make mine slower/less capable/less desirable than it was when I bought it; I have exactly the laptop I wanted and was willing to pay for.

The counter-argument is usually that everyone wants the "best available." But the vast majority of people who buy a Macintosh DID NOT BUY THE BEST COMPUTER THAT WAS AVAILABLE. The answer to that would be "yes, my 15" MBP (or whatever) was the best available," but that's a lie; it certainly was not: it was outclassed by the 17" MBP. Similarly, every MacBook owner, by default, did not buy the best available; every 20" iMac owner did not buy the best available; every Mac mini owner did not, every MacBook Air user did not. There are systems that are more powerful than almost every single Macintosh desktop or portable that you can buy, at any given time.

I'd say that, by not buying the best computer available (and paying the premium for those machines), users who "want the best" really forego any reason to complain about their purchase when the next revision comes out, since that's not what they were looking to buy in the first place.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I couldn't care less about revisions. I'm happy with what I have and I know it will look good in the future, so I'm good.

5. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

If you're worried about always having the best machine available, you'll almost always be disappointed. Apple would be crazy to not update machines just for fear of upsetting a few people who just bought one. This happens in many industries all the time. I keep mentioning to people who whined about the iPhone price cut about the Blu-ray Disc players that were $800 one day dropping to $500 the next day.

In technology, you can count on the stuff you have to be outdated in two weeks and for the new stuff to always be or seem cheaper.

6. DocSmitty macrumors regular

That sounds like a good way to make yourself crazy :)

Do you buy a car hoping they won't release a new one next year?

You bought the latest product available, enjoy it. I own a new MBP and don't care one way or another what the next update will involve - I'm well aware that odds are, Apple will release another revision in 2008, and that's just fine :)

7. scott9s macrumors member

Personally, I'd like the form factor and design to remain the same for at least a year after this recent update. That way, my MBP does seem outdated, and I won't have buyers remorse.

However, I think that is unlikely. The fact I've seen Apple hiring computer design engineers, I think we're due for an update. Additionally, I think the new chips plus new RAM designs and new graphic instructions for the cpu built-in points to a possible redesign. or maybe a macbook air pro or something.

I feel you buy when you need it. Get the best that you can, then you hop off the New train for a while so you don't get the itch to buy again until needed. So, I might stop following rumors for a bit.

8. iCeFuSiOn macrumors 6502a

I don't really bother waiting for an update unless I know that it is going to be substantial and even then I'd wait a revision after that just to be sure any flaws have been worked out.

Hell, I bought my MacBook Pro on the day of MacWorld 08, when everyone thought new MBP's were going to come out... shows how much I really care about having the 'latest and greatest' :p I'm completely satisfied with my computer anyway, and in reality thats all that should matter.

9. MascisMan macrumors member

I dont care if a new update comes out soon or not. I love my Penryn machine. :D

10. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

No I dont feel the same way..

I want Apple to keep updating and as often as possible so the price of used models keeps going down...:apple:

11. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

just got a penryn MBP this morning..
    so i'm not one of the waiters of the new and improved MBP..
    count me out!:D

12. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

I'm a bit surprised that you are admitting this in a public forum, but at least you are being honest and transparent.

For about $ 175 per hour, I'd like to go ahead and address this issue. Now first tell me about your relationship with your mother....:)

Seriously as others have said numerous times on threads like this, if you always have to have the latest and greatest, you had better be really awash in resources or you are going to always be disappointed sooner rather than later.

Enjoy the great things you own now and do not worry about appearances or what other people have, or what you are missing out on. You will always be happier.

...I see we are just about out of time now. Should be schedule next week's session?

13. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

REFUND! :p

14. virtuatony macrumors regular

More updates the better, wonder if they will really redesign the MBP this year?

15. sjb macrumors regular

I had the same thoughts when I was trying to decide if I should buy the new MBP. At the end of the day though, you'll always be waiting for the newest and greatest. I swear, the same day the current MBP came out, people were already going "ok, whens are next update?". You'll always be chasing upgrades if you feel this way.

I too suffer from what I like to call "New Hotness Disorder", but sooner or later you have to decide to buy or not, and since I was upgrading from a G4, it was worth it.

I kinda like the current form factor too. I'd be disappointed if they change it (although, knowing Apple, they'll probably come out with something amazing my brain can't even fathom right now).

16. gothamm macrumors 6502a

I am buying one when there is a redesign. I don't care if its an intel mono-core or w/e.

Buying one every time there is a redesign puts me on a fairly good roadmap, with redesigns coming every 4 years or so.

17. sjb macrumors regular

Hasn't the current design been out for more than 4 years now?

18. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

I'm so happy with my new Penryn so I could care less. If something does come out that I absolutely want/need I'll just sell this for a bit of a loss and upgrade. No big deal.

19. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

If design is your "MAIN" motivation to buy..
    i promise you a lot of trouble and sleepless nights :D

check with the MBA thread..
    so many members complaining of " heating" issues
    battery life lasting for 1.5 hour only.
    blah blah blah..

you're buying a computer, not a pair of shoe.
    i think what's inside should come first before the hardware.

Function before Fashion!:D

20. scott9s macrumors member

I disagree to this in some fashion. Design is what puts Apple on the board. It places Apple above all the PC's due to the cool design.

Now, what I do agree with is you wait for version 2 upgrade of the design. By then all the bugs are worked out.

the same thing happened when the MBP came out with its current design. Lots of issues here and there. Wait a bit, and get the ticks instead of the tocks based upon the recent anadtech article analogy.

21. idonotliketostu macrumors 6502

thy gonna release teh 12" macbook pro omg hotness with keyboard that stretch to the end +DDD im so gonna buy it

22. We Healthy macrumors newbie

We Healthy

I'm not entirely concerned with the internals of the machine (as long as it plays cod 4 and tf2 im cool). I just hope that the new Nvidia chips run cooler and the same for intel.

so the only revision i care for is a decrease in Celsius/Farenheit.

23. myawn macrumors member

myawn

I bought a new MBP on the day they were introduced.

As I see it, Apple can now start the process of designing my next laptop. I won't buy the next model to be released, or the one after that, or the one after that -- but I really want to see at least one great new feature in every one of those, so that I know that when I _am_ ready to buy again, I'll be getting lots of features that are better/faster/cooler than what's on the model I have today.

The alternative would be to hope that progress stops. Sure, that means I would continue to have the very latest technology. But it means I'll never have a better computer than what I have today. And as great as this computer is, thinking there won't be anything better is just a depressing thought.

24. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Hehehe... I HOPE Apple does revise their product line, it'll be really cruel and such a blast! I'll bee definitely laughing, having owned one of the 3rd revision system for a year...

But in all honesty, I don't think they'll revise a 'perfect' product, they certainly won't be inserting a thin blu-ray in the machine yet! Those drives are simply too expensive for most consumers... It might be a idea for them to add this option to the BTO scheme but at £800+ a unit, who'd buy one? And there's no native support for the new technology yet, come to think of it... you can only burn discs with Toast 8.

The bottomline here is no-one forced you to buy a system which isn't aesthetically pleasing, I'm pretty sure the vas majority of you folks made up your own mind...

However, if your not happy with your machine, you could redesign the case yourself.. no-one gonna stop you.

Version 2? Don't you mean revision 4?
    We're already on the version 3.

The Rev. 1 was the Titanium design that's heavily flawed with it's flaking white paint and fragile hinges. The Rev. 2, was used in the original PowerBooks G4 series. The current case design came from the PowerBook G4's, which would be Rev. 3.

If you put the two systems side by side you'll see there's already been several changes. The MBP's case is slightly longer but more compact compared to the G4's. Apple removed the air vents from under the wrist-rest... as the C2D don't generate as much heat as the old G4's did, bearing in mind it's a slower processor too!

I'd speculate a Rev. 4 would have a more scratch resistant case. The current external aluminium casing is very thin. It's easily dented, scratched and with the down-pressure of some our users, the case occasionally budges - but that's not a design flaw, me thinks.

As far as fashion goes... that's for the shallow minded people, yep... if your buying a car, a computer for fashion then your mind is very much warped. It's a computer, a machine, a tool to make work easier to handle, deal with it. :rolleyes:

25. idonotliketostu macrumors 6502

Didn't apple just revised he MBP with led screens?