Is anyone else ordering an iPhone 4s (8GB)?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by curiosity, Sep 17, 2013.

1. curiosity macrumors regular

Since people here mainly talk about the iPhone 5c/s, I wonder if anyone else is getting a new iPhone 4s 8GB and what your reasons are.

My reasons are that it's much cheaper, I like the steel/glass design of the '4' generation, and 8 GB should be enough for me because I just need to save photos and maybe a short video once in a while. No need for gaming or music (that's what I have my iPad for). What about you?

I'm impatiently checking for emails every day, but no sign of shipment yet. On their store Apple say it will be delivered on 9/20. Do you know if that is the date you receive the iPhone?

2. Munky macrumors 6502

Why did you order online? You could have walked into any store and just bought it.

3. curiosity thread starter macrumors regular

There are no Apple Stores around. Or did you mean it's gonna be for sale in any major electronic store on 9/20?

4. KeepCalmPeople macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

I appreciate that it is the cheapest iPhone currently available, but:
    1) it is the least future-proof
    2) it's depreciation will be greater than that of the 5C or 5S (IMO) in real $ terms
    3) 8GB may suit you right now, but it leaves you no room to grow if your needs change later.
    4) reselling an 8GB phone will be a tough sell down the road IMO - too little storage for most people's needs
    5) you will be tied to a 2 year contract on a phone that (again IMO) you are likely to want to upgrade sooner

5. user-name-here macrumors 65816

Lock myself into a 2-year contract for a three year old phone? Yikes! :eek:

6. Namji macrumors 6502a

Namji

Bestbuy, Walmart, Target, ( Choose cellular provider store ) would all carry the iPhone 4S...

But no way in hell would I buy a iPhone 4s today or going forward..

7. Adelphos33 macrumors 6502a

Your reasons about getting a 4S are solid. I would look into refurbished models from a carrier or Apple. You may be able to get a good off contract price for a 16G model. I would recommend at least 16G for any iPhone.

8. eelw macrumors 6502a

eelw

There has to be a demand for the $0 contract iPhones since Apple decided to do it again for 3rd year in a row with the model price shift. But doubt the average MacRumors reader will be picking this option.

9. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

I know plenty of people who are still hanging on to their 4S, as it suits their needs just fine. They're still getting iOS 7

10. Dented macrumors 6502a

I like the 4S a lot, it's still a good phone and I'm sure it will suit many people for years to come, but I do think 8GB is too slim in this day and age and I think it's a bit of a cheap move by Apple to cut it back in that way.

The camera on the 4S is excellent, but takes big pictures and VERY big HD video (with no option for lesser quality) - it be quite possible to fill 8GB with that before you've even downloaded any other app or media.

11. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I wouldn't buy a 4S at this time. It is just too old.

12. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

While 8g sounds like enough, it fills up quick. So be aware. I am not a power user, and I started with an 8 gig iphone in 07. I am now at 32 gig on my 5, and even that is starting to run thin. I can live with 32, but thinking of 64 on my 5S.

If you were buying the phone outright, I'd say the 4S is fine for now. But to lock yourself into a 2 year contract for a 3 year old phone, is crazy (IMO). But everyone is different. My wife wouldn't care one bit as long as it works. Me...I have to have the newest phone on launch day every year. So to each his own. If you're looking for advice, I'd say to return the 4S and get a 5. Just so you'll be pretty future proofed for the life of the contract.

13. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

I could def. see a point for someone buying a 4S. Heck, most times I know I'm barely utilizing the full powa of the 5 :D