Is anyone else very uncomfortable with new text messages just popping up?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by skeen, Jan 5, 2008.

1. skeen macrumors 6502

I mean, it's crazy. If I set my iPhone down on a table, and I'm with company, and I get a new text message, everyone can see! It might as well just read the text message out for everyone!

There are few scenarios where this feature is actually useful, and I think that most people would disable it if they could.

It is true that it can be disabled, but only when you've set a passcode lock, which I don't want to do (it would be highly annoying and inconvenient).

Just telling me I have a new text message is fine, thank you very much.

2. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Nope!

I sorta' like it! Try turning your iPhone face down. :cool:

3. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

4. skeen thread starter macrumors 6502

Because I lock my iPhone about 20 times a day. How could it not be inconvenient?

5. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Mine just auto-locks itself after one minute. I find it very reassuring and not in the least inconvenient. Do you not mind having all your information vulnerable?

6. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

7. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

i thought of this one on my own:

don't leave your iphone out in the open :p

8. pavvento macrumors 6502

I don't mind it so much, but what I do mind is when it pops up and you're on the phone. Having to hit ignore just to get to any of the phone operations like speakerphone or keypad, or end call or mute is an extra un-needed step.

9. Monk Edsel macrumors regular

It does bother me sometimes. There are just certain kinds of messages you don't want popping up while in the presence of certain people! ;) I think it is a really cool feature, but I do think it is something that should be able to be disabled.

10. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

funny while i sit here and post, i'm getting some disgusting messages.

11. stevearm macrumors 6502a

Are you actually saying that entering a 4 digit password 50-100 times a day every time you want to use your phone ISN'T inconvenient?? :confused::confused:

12. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I probably only make 5-10 outgoing calls a day from the mobile. Incoming calls do not require an unlock.

13. autumnsong macrumors member

autumnsong

If you get an iSkin Revo case for your phone, you get an anti-glare film with it that also as handy features that makes the screen darker from an angle, so people looking at your phone not head-on cannot read it. This may solve your problem or at least help. It also cuts way down on the fingerprints. ;)

14. Hummer macrumors 65816

Hummer

I was demoing my phone one time and received a really embarrassing drunken New Years message.

15. tjcampbell macrumors 6502a

tjcampbell

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48a Safari/419.3)

it should be a preference that one could set. I like it, but I can totally see how it would feel intruding to most people.

16. tico24 macrumors 6502

tico24

Just set the passcode lock to only lock after say an hour.
    If you use the phone as much as you say you do, it'll never actually prompt you for a passcode, yet your text message won't be displayed for all the world to see.

17. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Well what's better. Entering a 4 digit code or someone taking your iPhone and going through all your info.

18. tWoSour macrumors member

Text message alert question

a co-worker of mine asked me this today, and i didn't know the answer.

She doesnt like when the iphone is asleep and a text message comes in, how it displays the message without having to unlock the phone (she also has password protect on). Is there a way to disable this?

Thanks in advance

19. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

<merged above post into this thread>

I think almost no one likes that feature, and I hope to see it changed soon, but I don't think it's currently possible to mask the text except as mentioned in the original post at the top of this thread.

20. macdad7178 macrumors newbie

here ill paint a picture...youre having a PRIVATE text conversation with someone and at the same time you want to show someone a picture or something on the iphone. while youre showing the picture to your friend up comes a new text from whomever you were having the conversation with and boom guess what...the conversation is no longer private. i dont hate many features about the iphone, but i HATE that feature. there needs to be an on off text preview. i also do not like having to set a passcode lock just so it doesnt show the text preview. plus even if the passcode lock is on with the text preview turned off, if you were in the scenario i described, because the phones not locked, it will show the whole text msg.

WEAK!!!

21. skwoytek macrumors 6502a

If she has the passcode lock on, the just go to Settings->General->Passcode Lock: and set Show SMS Preview to OFF. It will no longer display SMS previews if the phone is asleep.

As for the setting itself, I agree that the Preview SMS setting should be in its own SMS settings section so that it didn't matter if a passcode was set or not.

Until that happens, I agree with tico24 - Set your Require Passcode setting to the max - 4 hours. The only time you'd likely have to enter the passcode it is in the morning.

Apple could also put a repeat SMS alert frequency setting, a show character count setting, an SMS view mode setting (Bubble, Standard IM Style, etc), a Group multi-party SMS into one conversation setting, and a few other SMS settings people have requested.

22. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Yeah I'm real sorry about that. :eek:

Seeing how I tend to have some elicit conversations now and then via text this feature is a POA if you ask me. However, being sly as I am, I turn my phone over. BUT to the point of showing someone something, I recently let my dad hang onto it and BOOM out comes the text. He just laughed and said "naughty!!". He was right. ;)

23. nsheikh80 macrumors regular

nsheikh80

I absolutely HATE this feature and have been caught out by it a number of times.

How long do you reckon it is before this feature costs somebody their relationship :eek:

I used to own a Treo 650 prior to my iPhone and they had the exact same feature but allowed you to switch it off. Come on Apple, get off your lazy butts.

I've been trying to fin a feedback form on their website but no luck yet....

24. Bickity macrumors member

Just turn it off.

You can turn it off. Go to Settings > Passcode Lock > and turn "Show SMS Preview" Off.

Personally I love the feature.

25. memesmith macrumors regular

I don't think its this feature that will cost anyone their relationship, it'll be the infidelity that the text message reveals