Is anyone else waiting to see what happens on October 15th?

CSilver

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 14, 2009
Canada
I can go to the local Costco anytime and pick up a 3rd Gen 32GB but I am very curious about that date. As most of us know that Bestbuy releases their Ipod Touch cases with the Camera holes on that day I am willing to wait for it. However, seeing my little sister ordering her first ipod/Ipod touch 2nd Gen 8GB from the refurb... makes me want one badly... Her ipod doesn't even look like refurb.... anyways... who else is waiting for October 15th?

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
I'd say it's clear that Apple is working on a Touch with a built-in camera (if you look at the internals of the new Touch, they left a coincidentally iPod-nano-camera-sized space), but I think it will be much later than October 15.

Nobody knows, though, although I think a month would be a bit unprecendented. Maybe early next year?

Also, with regard to refurbs, you'll find that they almost always look brand new. The main difference is that they'll come in a generic box rather than the original packing. I almost always buy refurb from Apple to save money.

anjinha

macrumors 604
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA
I can go to the local Costco anytime and pick up a 3rd Gen 32GB but I am very curious about that date. As most of us know that Bestbuy releases their Ipod Touch cases with the Camera holes on that day I am willing to wait for it. However, seeing my little sister ordering her first ipod/Ipod touch 2nd Gen 8GB from the refurb... makes me want one badly... Her ipod doesn't even look like refurb.... anyways... who else is waiting for October 15th?
That's because refurb ≠ old/used. With refurbs they fix whatever is wrong with them and replace the whole outside of it, so they are practically new.

Macjames

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2007
Yorkshire, England
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7C144 Safari/528.16)

I'd be very suprised if apple released a newer iPod Touch so soon, that's just bad business. I'd estimate at least march next year to avoid any outcry over the newly released models and the winter holidays.

Scarpad

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
Yeah I think the cases will not come Oct 15th. I would hazard a guess we'll see the refresh in the spring arounf March time the 32gb and 64gb will get a camera quietly added to them. That being said I just ordered a 64gb as a camera is not a neccesity for me

SwiftLives

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2001
Charleston, SC
October 15th is a Thursday. Apple generally releases stuff on Tuesdays. And they very rarely update a product one month after it's released.

In other words, don't hold your breath.

ucfgrad93

macrumors P6
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Like others have said, I really don't think Apple would update the iPod touch only a month after another update.

agkm800

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2009
Bestbuy is releasing iPod Touch case with camera hole in 10/15/09? Why would they even release such a product? It does not make sense unless Bestbuy was anticipating there would be a camera in the new Touch and now they just want to dump those unmarketable products at bargain prices.

Stitch30

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2007
My local Walmart has already on their shelves the cases for the iPod Touch with a camera. They have the silicone and hard plastic ones. It's funny because on the package it says ''For the brand new iPod Touch with a camera''. You can clearly see the hole in the middle back, just like the leaked pictures.

My friend would not believe me that Touch was supposed to have a camera. This is proof that it was planned but something went wrong. By the way, the cases are from Gear4 and they sell for les than 20$. I'll try to get a video with my nano to show them to you.

Beric

macrumors 68020
Jan 22, 2008
Bay Area
Nothing will happen. If something were to happen though, I wouldn't care, as my 3G already does everything I need other than GPS and a longer battery, which there is little chance of a hypothetical October upgrade providing. 4G maybe, but not October.

CSilver

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 14, 2009
Canada
Nothing will happen. If something were to happen though, I wouldn't care, as my 3G already does everything I need other than GPS and a longer battery, which there is little chance of a hypothetical October upgrade providing. 4G maybe, but not October.
I thought you were going to hold your fire until something dramatic change has happened to the touch!

Now I am convinced. Oh and if something happens :rolleyes:, I will just return its and get it I guess~

Thanks for the replies;)

Spock

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2002
Vulcan
No, he means 15/10/09.....

The world does not revolve around the american mm/dd/yy... i'm guessing more people use dd/mm/yy than the other way. It actually makes more sense, you drill down with it... just doesn't "look right" :D
I was thinking the same thing lol

Plutonius

macrumors 604
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
I'd say it's clear that Apple is working on a Touch with a built-in camera (if you look at the internals of the new Touch, they left a coincidentally iPod-nano-camera-sized space), but I think it will be much later than October 15.

Nobody knows, though, although I think a month would be a bit unprecendented. Maybe early next year?
Steve Jobs returned and the camera was designed out of the Touch. That makes me believe that he doesn't want a camera in the Touch as opposed to a technical issue.

elpmas

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2009
Where the fresh snow don't go.
Steve Jobs returned and the camera was designed out of the Touch. That makes me believe that he doesn't want a camera in the Touch as opposed to a technical issue.
I assume he's playing it safe. If a big technical issue arises from the Touch's camera...it'll probably make his investors second guess his ability to run his company. He's probably doing major tests with it before launching the product.

FieryFurnace

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2008
Berlin, Germany
I want to get a Touch (my first one) before the end of the year.
And I would like it to have a camera in it, but even without I will get one.

So yes, I will wait until Oct15 and even more and hopefully there is some update between now and then. :D