Is anyone going to buy their first iPhone ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by apple.fan, Sep 6, 2012.

1. apple.fan macrumors member

apple.fan

iPhone 5 will be my first iPhone, finally ! But i can see that there isn't a lot of excitement about this new iPhone and that is making me a little confused. Should i buy the 4S instead? After all its going to be cheaper and its not that different.
    What do you think?

2. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

Well, if you live in an area where LTE is available... Its a no brainer IMO...

Otherwise, I would base it off of storage capacity. Are you okay with only having 8 GB?

3. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Buy the 5. It'll be great.

People get all bent out of shape because they own the 4S and they don't see enough differences (whatever that means) between their phone and the new one. It makes them cranky for some reason. But you are blissfully unafflicted by this condition.

Buy the 5.

4. golfesv macrumors member

It will be my first as well and more than likely going with the new iphone!!

5. iPusch macrumors 6502

iPusch

YES, me. I never bought an iPhone myself, my dad gifted it to me for usual & I am highly planning to get the new iPhone 5 :D and pay myself muhaha :apple:

6. apple.fan thread starter macrumors member

apple.fan

Yes i think LTE is available here and 8 GB are NOT enough for me.

7. PortableLover macrumors 6502a

Yeah, this'll be my first, had plenty of experience with iPhones, a lot of my friends have got them. I've used 4 the most. Already have a Touch and an iPad so I know what it'll be like.

8. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

Then you shouldn't get a 4S

9. leahpardo macrumors newbie

But you can get 62GB 4S can't you? :/

It's going to be my first phone too :) I was planning on getting the 62GB 4S but considering the 5 is coming out so soon I thought I'd wait and see what the price is (and what new things it has) and then dictate which one I really want, also I'm predicting the 4S prices to go down at bit which, if I don't get the 5, will help!

10. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

If you get confused about something like this you're going to have a lot of problems in your life.

11. TolerancEJ macrumors newbie

There's plenty of interest in The New iPhone 5. (Actually, if the model was numbered correctly, it should be iPhone 6: iPhone, iPhone 3G, 3GS, 4, 4S, "Next") I can't wait for its release!

Pay no attention to the Fandroids begging for attention by spamming various forums.

12. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

There is, but there wont be after the new iPhone comes out. (or at least not for long)

It will probably be the same price

13. leahpardo macrumors newbie

Really? Why (sorry this may be obvious but I'm new to iPhones?)

Are they going to drop all but the 8GB Iphones?

Will it still be available on contract? (64GB)

14. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    Historically Apple drops all higher storage models. But the remaining 4S inventory (16gb, 32gb, and 64gb) will likely be sold at a discount (probably $50 off for 16gb, and $100 of for the others).

Right now apple sells
    iPhone 3gs (8gb)
    iPhone 4 (8gb)
    iPhone 4S (16gb, 32gb, 64gb)

This is part of the reason why I would NEVER recommend anyone to get the mid-level iPhone (right now it's the iPhone 4).

The 3GS is free, so that holds a place for people that don't really need a smartphone, but are just jumping on the bandwagon. Or if you really cannot afford anymore

the 4 is $100, so I would tell anyone for only $100 more you not only get a lot more features, but also 1 additional year of support and double the storage. For a smartphone that you will keep for 2 years and pay at least $15 a month for data, I think it's the worst idea ever to get the mid-level

15. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

There is lot's of excitement about the new iPhone. Wait till it's announced. Don't believe everything you read on rumor sites. Enjoy.

16. Want300 macrumors 65816

Want300

Yea, when the new iPhone is released... They will no longer make the 4S in anything but an 8 GB model (most likely... could be 16 GB, but doubtful)

A 64 GB will be available on the new iPhone.

All of the left over stock of the 4S will be sold at a slight discount until they are gone

17. plymman macrumors member

Wait and see what the specs are, see if the improvements are worth it to you and decide from there.

Personally if I couldn't live without the updated features I'd obviously get the 5, otherwise I would just buy a used, nearly new, iPhone 4s and save a bundle of cash. The prices of a used 4s are sure to take a big hit and the iPhone is just one of those phone's that people keep behind screen protectors and cases so they're generally kept in good nick. I regularly see phones just a week or two old pop up on forum classified's.

18. leoneedees macrumors member

This will be my first iphone as well. I currently own a 3rd gen Ipod Touch so I know the inner workings of the iOS system and what not. While some 4 and 4s users may be confused by the "small" update as they would call it. I for one and totally stoked and excited. I absolutely loved the 4 and 4s design and can't wait to have a variation of that to replace my Droid soon enough.

19. mojo pin macrumors regular

mojo pin

This will be my first iPhone as well. I was a little undecided whether to get the 4S or wait for the 5, mostly because of the new longer form factor (not an overly huge fan) and because I could get a 4S now with more memory, compared to what I would pay for the new one with the same GB. But in the end, I figured that if I think if the iPhone is one that I'll want to stay with over the years, it's probably best to buy the newest model because that's likely the direction Apple will continue to go with it. There's no sense in me getting a 4S now just because I don't like the new longer size, only to be faced with the same dilemma next time I'm eligible for an upgrade and the newest phone at that time is the same size. If I'm going to do it, I might as well get their latest and greatest. That's the way I'm looking at it, anyway. I'm sure if I already had a 4S, which so many people love, I would stick with it for a while and not upgrade right away.

20. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

The theory is after the launch of the iPhone 5 you won't be able to.

21. Furifo macrumors 6502

I would always recommend first time iPhone buyers to buy the latest one (if budget allows). This way they can experience all the features iOS has to offer.

OP - I suggest that you skip the 4S and buy the 5 :)

22. nicknicknickh macrumors regular

I'm buying my first Iphone this month! It will be a great day for me!

I hope that they put in a better battery so I dont have to buy mophies 100 dollar battery case and instead spend that on the 32GB edition or even better they start with 32Gb and ditch 16Gb so I can afford the Applecare +

23. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

The 5 will be my first and the 4S I buy alongside it will be my wife's first. We're both quite stoked.

24. julietcc macrumors member

I'm finally giving up my old Sprint legacy family plan that didn't allow us to get Androids or Iphones. I have a touch pro 2 that freezes all the time and my 17 and 19 year olds have Samsung Rants!

I'm beyond excited. I think it will be worth our bill going from $84 to about $165. I'll miss that plan but I swear having to restore my TP2 every month is maddening. We are getting 3 iphones!

25. drakestan macrumors regular

Been with a Samsung Fascinate (galaxy s) since it came out in 2010. iPhone 5 will be my first Apple Phone.