Is anyone going to sell their current rMBP once the Haswell rMBP is released?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by forza69, Oct 6, 2013.

1. forza69 macrumors 6502a

forza69

Just wondering if anyone was planning on doing this? The thought crossed my mind though I probably won't do it.

2. Hungry&Foolish Suspended

My 15 rMBP is an overkill for my needs, its my Fav Mac yet.
    But I might. Though i can't find any reason to upgrade.
    Time will tell:)

3. forza69 thread starter macrumors 6502a

forza69

Totally overkill for my needs as well but I figured since it was going to be my first Mac I would splurge a little bit. I'm going to roam around CL and see how much they're going for. If I could get $1900-$2000 for it I would definitely sell it.

4. PDFierro macrumors 68040

If I had the current rMBP, I would. No point in keeping it. I plan on doing this next year when the Broadwell rMBP comes around.

5. whiteonline macrumors 6502

whiteonline

Nope.
    Sure Haswell adds battery life and some integrated GPU power, but it's an incremental improvement, not revolutionary.

6. ldburroughs macrumors 6502

Can't find a reason ... but trust me, I'm looking.

I'm good for the foreseeable future. I'll likely upgrade in another year or two. For now, my MacBook is overkill. My iPad, on the other hand, is waiting patiently.

7. JohnDoe98 macrumors 68020

Yep, I'm selling my 15" rmbp for two reasons:

(1) I want a 13" instead and figure I can probably get enough from my 15" to pay for the 13"
    (2) Already have 470 cycles on the battery in a little over a year, so I rather not have to pay 200$ next year for a new battery (plus as is obvious I really use the battery, so if Haswell gives me good gains it'll be that much better for me).

8. javier13javier macrumors newbie

9. dastinger macrumors 6502a

dastinger

Nope. Can't see a reason to sell a 1 year old laptop to buy a new one where the improvements, probably, won't be much.

10. joec1101 macrumors 6502

I wasn't planning on it until my 15" rMBP Samsung screen recently developed a nice bright white spot right smack in the middle of the screen. It's now out of warranty and a new screen will cost about $650.00 through Apple.

Next one I will definitely get the Apple Care! :eek:

11. mrmarts, Oct 6, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2013

mrmarts macrumors 65816

My current Macbook Retina suits my needs just fine, I believe that next years update will bring a much better update in line with processors, graphics and most welcome revisions to the USB port and thunderbolt port, however I might hang onto retina until 4k resolutions become available. Just a quick question will the next gen MacBook retina get a 4gb video card like the Imac's or is 2gb more than likely?

12. forza69 thread starter macrumors 6502a

forza69

So do you guys think Apple care is worth purchasing for the rMBP? I still have until the end of December to decide whether I want to buy it or not. What about that other insurance called squaretrade? Just looked at their prices and it's almost the same price for 3 years as it is with AC for 2. Any experiences with them?

13. Archon macrumors member

Broadwell and Maxwell is the next upgrade for me

Haswell is nice but not thrilling.

The possibility of Broadwell and Maxwell is the combo I'm looking forward to upgrade from my current rMBP.

14. JeffiJers macrumors 6502a

15. prospervic macrumors 6502

prospervic

Ditto that. Haswell's battery life (and graphics) improvements will mostly benefit the 13" model. Broadwell will bring big battery life improvements to quad-core processors. I'm keeping my 15" rMBP until then.

16. prospervic, Oct 7, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2013

prospervic macrumors 6502

prospervic

You can't really compare the two as AppleCare is not insurance (does not cover theft or accidental damage). It extends the warranty covering manufacturing defects. I've bought AppleCare for several years. On my late 2008 MacBook Pro, they practically rebuilt the entire machine over time. However, I never used it at all on my early 2011 MBP (though it did increase the resell value). So it's kind of a crapshoot.

----------

If you, or anyone you know has a teacher or student ID, you can get a nice discount on AppleCare for your rMBP.

17. thormarketing macrumors member

Please let me know if you sell your rMBP on eBay when the new one comes out. I'm poor and destitute and can only afford the used ones.

18. robvas macrumors 68020

Already did. Will be looking to grab an open-box Haswell 13" rMBP as soon as I can find one after they are released!

19. forza69 thread starter macrumors 6502a

forza69

Sorry I don't deal with ebay, only craigslist.

I don't understand how the student discount works. I mean, I can order it through Apple, lie and pretend I'm a student. How do they verify that I'm actually a student? Would they ask for ID if I ever took it into the store or something? Same goes for if I used one of my friends ID's, it still wouldn't be mine so how do they keep everyone from doing this?

20. prospervic macrumors 6502

prospervic

They ask for ID at the Apple store. So bring your friend with you.

21. srsub3 macrumors 6502

srsub3

bought mine in june, it fulfills all my needs so no, I will keep my 13. only chance: 13 rMBP with 4core cpu, I don't need graphics only computational power.:)

22. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

I don't think so. Recently sold my max out 2012 15" 2.7/16/768 and bought a max out 2012 13" rMBP 2.9/8/768 looking for portability, which is more than enough for my needs. As others said, even though Haswell will bring some benefits, not willing to pay full MSRP, so most likely will keep mine for a couple of years.

23. mattburley7 macrumors 68030

plan on trading my macbook pro 13" late 2011 through a apple reseller that has a trade in program for a new one, can get around $700 for it. either I will get a rMBP or MBA depending on if we see a update at the oct 22nd event.

24. GSPice macrumors 68000

GSPice

I'm going to sell my Haswell rMBP if Broadwell and Maxwell are amazing.

25. X-Ravin macrumors regular

They didn't ask for one when I got my MBPr in store last year. Nor did I have to verify anything when I used the discount on a BTO iMac I just ordered online. They used to have you verify your school online, but now it seems not the case. Looks like anyone could use the discount. Probably depends on the store/salesperson though.