Is anyone planning to buy more than 1 iPhone 6 and sell it above RRP?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Hustler1337, Sep 7, 2014.

?

Will you be picking up an iPhone 6 to sell above RRP?

1. No way, i'm not an a$$hole

59 vote(s)
    69.4%
  2. Yes. Money Money Money. :D

16 vote(s)
    18.8%
  3. Maybe, thinking about it

10 vote(s)
    11.8%
  1. Hustler1337, Sep 7, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2014

Hustler1337 macrumors 68000

Hustler1337

Hi guys,

I'm just wondering if any of you guys are planning to get hold of more than 1 iPhone 6 on release day - keeping one and selling the other at a higher price with the intention of making a profit.

I know this is looked down upon by prospective iPhone buyers, where stock of the iPhone is almost guaranteed to be in limited supply. But is anyone contemplating or has already planned their quick-buck scheme? And what are your plans?

Would be interesting to hear.

I don't think Apple will be opening the iPhone 6 for preorders this year based on last year's release of the 5S, which will only mean that they will sell for even higher prices in the grey market.

2. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

This is generally pretty hard to do, as Apple doesn't usually start selling unlocked iPhones on launch day, usually weeks later. And you usually can't even unlock your phones until a few months into the contract either.

I'm sure there are ways around it, but it's a big mess, and Apple and the carriers make it this way for a reason. Legitimate buyers playing by the rules get the first crack at it.

3. CEmajr macrumors 601

"T-Mobile" models sold last year were unlocked on day 1. The resellers bought them up and sold them quite a bit.

4. Hustler1337 thread starter macrumors 68000

Hustler1337

In the UK, iPhones sold by Apple at their stores and online are factory unlocked, so it's easier for these phones to be sold, esp. worldwide than it is for US-bought iPhones.

I'm sure Apple sell unlocked iPhones in other countries as well.

5. LadyX macrumors 68020

LadyX

6. nnacrumors macrumors 6502

Me neither, I can't stand the pond scum that do.

7. recoil80 macrumors 68000

In many european countries iPhones are sold unlocked at launch day.
    I've been told several times that there are scalpers outside the stores waiting in queue among "normal" customers. As far as I know there is a limit on how many iPhones you can buy at launch day and that's good, because those people would buy a lot of phones so there wouldn't be enough for all the people queuing.

8. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

I haven't got the spare cash but would if I did. I don't see anything wrong with it personally. I would never be stupid enough to buy an iPhone priced way over its RRP as I don't want it that bad, but if people are willing to pay then money is there to be made. Nobody is forced to pay over the odds and considering the iPhone will be available a plenty a few weeks after launch, I feel its the choice of the person willing to part with the cash.

I bought a couple of leather Superdry jackets a few years back for 60 quid in a shop that was closing down and sold them each for £150. I don't think buying something and selling it on is morally incorrect or we would have to question the whole consumer market and ask why shops mark up prices. If the market is there then fair enough. I have a feeling there are strong feelings against it here but its just my opinion, no offence intended, just a different view. :)

PS: I can't vote in the poll because although my answer is 'no', I do not agree with the opinion attached to the end of the option.

9. Hustler1337 thread starter macrumors 68000

Hustler1337

Seems like there's a few who will be buying for resale, more than I thought.

10. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Nope. Don't need to. Fortunate enough to have a decent job and not have to worry and risk reselling on eBay or Craigslist.

Plus, I think it's kinda scumballish to do that.

11. 617aircav Suspended

I'll be ordering more than one. Make some extra money.

12. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

We have this debate every release about the ethics of buying to resell. I certainly wouldn't condone having an army of people wait in line to snap up butt-loads of units to sell overseas, but it wouldn't bother me to resell an extra one that I picked up. I'm going to be in line on launch day for 12 hours or so and may very well buy an extra to resell, especially if the 5.5 is available. I figure it's one of the rewards for being so fanatical:D

13. kmj2318 macrumors 68000

kmj2318

I wouldn't do it because it wouldn't be worth my time and effort.

I believe resellers give value to the marketplace.

14. The-Real-Deal82, Sep 9, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2014

The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

Oh really? Where have you seen that? :)

I am surprised at some of the names people use for anybody who re sells an iPhone though. I agree if an army of people bought loads of devices each with the intent just to resell, it is a bit off. But if a person just buys an additional phone and puts it on ebay and the bidders go wild, what is wrong with that? Its demand that pushes the price up, not necessarily the seller. You can't call somebody 'pond scum' or a 'scum bag' for just having the initiative to sell a phone they have bought. Once they own the device, it is up to them what they do with it. I will likely sell my iPhone 5 for more money than my upgrade cost me originally. Is that morally wrong too? Personally I don't think morality even comes into it with this sort of thing. If it was charging starving people with no money for food I think there would be a point, but this is a first world thing and nobody is forced to have an iPhone on launch week or pay the asking price IMHO :)

15. dumastudetto macrumors 68020

The 5.5 incher is expected to be extremely supply constrained and that will make it the prime target for those looking to buy and resell for profit. I wouldn't be surprised to see the larger model selling for at least double the retail price on the aftermarket.

16. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

Fair enough. I stand corrected. :D

I'm in the US, where I couldn't really do this if I wanted to. Forgive my nearsightedness. ;)

17. whoknows87 macrumors 6502a

whoknows87

Only launch day they were unlocked and everything else was locked afterwards?

18. CEmajr macrumors 601

The T-Mobile model is the unlocked model just with a T-Mobile sim card. It was sold since the first day of the 5S release. It was kind of hard to find since the resellers were buying this one up.

19. AxoNeuron macrumors 65816

AxoNeuron

Some people will really go to great lengths to avoid getting a real job...

But perhaps I am being too harsh. There are some countries where you won't be able to purchase the device at launch, so I suppose that serving as a resell medium would offer some economic benefits to the world.

20. 617aircav Suspended

How do you know they don't have a real job? Nothing wrong with buying two phones and selling one.