Is anyone running a express card 34 usb 3.0 to power a external HDD on a macbook pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Brows, Sep 11, 2011.

1. Brows macrumors member

I'm just wondering if anyone can tell me that "they are actively running a express card 34 usb 3.0 to run a external HDD and it works" on

What brand and is it being powered through the card or not?

Anyone with real hands on experience?

Im running a 2011 17" MBP and would like to run USB 3.0 speeds

Thanks
    Brows

2. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

3. tonyunreal macrumors regular

tonyunreal

If I recall correctly, the LaCie adapter only works with their own products, to work with usual USB 3.0 peripherals you need the CalDigit ExpressCard to USB 3.0 adapter.

4. Brows thread starter macrumors member

NZed i know they are out there I've been looking at them. but in the searching I've been doing on the net here and other sites I'm seeing that some aren't working without a power adaptor that plugs into the express card to power the hard drive. and like tonyunreal posts some only work with a specific brand of hard drive. also I'm seeing a lot of variation of speeds using them. Im not seeing any definite answers about whether it works or not. a lot of maybes and it shoulds. Im just looking for someone that has one and is using it to run a external hard drive in 3.0 speeds and how it works for them

Anyone?