Is anyone surprised by Donald Trump's meltdown?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by vrDrew, Oct 10, 2016.

1. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I do hope there aren't a lot of people here who are in any way shocked or surprised by the revelations of Trump's Billy Bush moment on the bus.

From the moment Trump appeared on the Presidential scene, I think it's been perfectly obvious what sort of man he was. His history of crude and demeaning attacks on women: Rosie O'Donnell, I supposed, was the first one to come to my attention. And that was years ago. But bragging about his penis size at the debate. The way he spoke about Carly Fiorina and Heidi Cruz. The way he spoke about his own daughter, for pete's sake. His multiple marriages. His attack on Alyssa Machado. etc. etc.

What I wonder about is this: Are people such terrible judges of character that they could seriously vote for this guy? I mean, Hillary Clinton will probably win the election. But not by 500 electoral votes. Sizable majorities of voters in Louisiana and Texas are still going to punch the ticket for a man who brags about sexually assaulting women.

Do people actually believe half of what Trump says? Or are they convincing themselves that, no matter how bad Trump might be, he's better than Hillary Clinton? (All the Clinton hate is something I'm still trying to work out. Although I'm not optimistic on that score. I still don't really understand the hatred of Barack Obama. Pure racism seems overly simplistic to explain the utter vehemence of anti-Obama feelings.)

The people I think are kidding themselves the most of all are political evangelicals. At this juncture, they are really down to one issue: Abortion. Thet are telling themselves that Donald Trump is going to appoint the one or two Supreme Court Justices that are going to once and for all time ban abortion in this country.

That's a pretty bad bet in my book. Abortion didn't get banned under Ronald Reagan or two Bush presidencies. And I think you could fill a decent sized phone book with people who got burned trusting Donald Trump to deliver on what he promises. He's the sort of slippery character who tells people what they want to hear.

I like to think of myself as an optimist. I honestly believe most people in this country are decent and sensible people. But obviously, there are still millions of people making a sucker bet on Donald Trump.

2. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

I think the majority of US citizens want to metaphorically punch "Washington" in the face. Why? Mostly because various news programs make the situation in the US out to be a lot worse than it actually is as bad news gets better ratings than good news, because some baby boomers are upset their industries have died in the US and refuse to take personal responsibility for their predicament, and because congress is completely deadlocked.

Of that majority, some portion have decided that it is ok to punch congress by electing an unqualified and complete idiot, that also happens to be a racist sexual predator. The other half, while really wanting to land a punch on Washington's big face, is more pragmatic and doesn't want to kamikaze just to prove a point.

I empathize with the first folks - I too want to punch Washington in the face. But I am also in the latter category. We have a pretty good thing going, it's not worth burning the whole thing down just to get some sweet sweet mutually assured destruction revenge.

3. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

and it;s those who want to see Hillary in jail that might end up making a difference :D

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

We can thank Trump for doing what no other could do for 35 years, prove that the evangelicals were always full of ****.

5. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

you know the evangelicals are NOT on his side right? trump has done a lot of damage to the GOP, and I love that aspect of it :D

anyways
    [​IMG]

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

7. appleisking macrumors 6502a

It's cognitive dissonance. Just take a look at this forum where most of Trump's behavior is excused as just words, and that Hillary is far worse because of her actions.

8. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

This has always seemed really strange to me.

First, jailing someone has absolutely zero to do with what you or anyone else wants. Jail is one form of punishment, of which there are many other options. When punishing someone for a crime for which they have either plead guilty or been found guilty by a fair trial, there are many theories to consider: Deterrence, Incapacitation, Rehabilitation, and Retribution. None of those things include what the crowd wants. Even if, in arguendo, Clinton is guilty of mishandling classified documents, is jail really the most appropriate punishment? She would be unqualified for office, so deterrence is irrelevant as to her. She isn't a danger to anyone, so incapacitation is irrelevant. She's old, so rehabilitation is sort of a wash. Retribution maybe? But she can't do any good to make up for past bads from jail.

Second, why would anyone call for a 68 year old grandma to be put in jail? I don't think under any circumstance is jailing someone like that appropriate. Maybe house-arrest, money fines, probation, and an huge amount of community service would be the worst anyone like that should ever get; unless they are a physical danger, in which case I think some kind of mental health facility is more appropriate than jail.

Seems all these calls for jail are just some barbaric desire to see someone they disagree with suffer. Thus, the people calling for Clinton to be in jail are no better than the Taliban or ISIS that call for the same sort of barbaric justice.

9. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

Very true.

The desperate last minute attempts to smear Trump, before the rapidly approaching election, must be reeking havoc on the nerves of the OP and other devoted Clinton lovers.

10. appleisking macrumors 6502a

Not really I've never felt calmer than at any point in this election.

11. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Yeah, that Trust likes smearing himself, he just does not like it when it's revealed. :rolleyes:

12. samcraig macrumors P6

Some people put ticket before country. No matter what.

13. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

Love this. The fact is that Trump's odds of winning have been under 20% for a week, and under 20% for the majority of his campaign. Yet the Trump supporters assert it is Clinton's supporters who are nervous.

If I had to pick one word to describe Trump supporters, I would say "projecting."

14. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

seems you are out of touch. many are cause they want him to give them someone to keep christian values above others in the senate. they actually think trump represents them and they don't think he was just sucking up to them.

god could not save trump now. maybe the devil can though.

15. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Hillary? yeah she could :D

16. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

The leak of his tape isn't the slightest bit surprising to me based on his past comments, his modeling business, beauty padgaent nonsense, frequent marriages to women 20-30 years younger than him, etc. While these things independently do not necessarily suggest being a pig (except maybe comments), add them up and I think it's quite obvious where his values are---

To quote one of my schizophrenic patients years ago, talking about his son and alluding to the movie The Graduate, "[He's] just like Mrs. Robinson... except if she had a penis. She was thinking with the wrong head. Now he is too."

Now that this video has been released I wouldn't be surprised if the sexual assuault/rape allegations start coming forward (beyond the ones that already exist). Looks like a pretty clear statement he made, whether it be lockeroom talk or not. Billionaire mogul abuses women behind stage at shows because he can. Women feel obligated to keep their mouth shut to maintain their jobs/income and progress their career. Perpetrator says the girls wanted it, came onto him, wanted to sexually persuade his favor, and never said anything at the time. Billionaire hires high profile lawyers to defend him.

Sounds like an episode of Law and Order SVU. I expect to see this very episode played out in like a week knowing how quickly they turn current events into episode plots. This episode probably already exists 30 times over actually- just not with the alleged perp being a billionaire, real estate + fashion industry mogul, presidential, candidate with an awful haircut.

17. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Just like their fearless leader!

18. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

I'd use the word TwoHeadedBabyRatSnake (except of course for the Trump supporters who are MacRumors members). Them I would call a "member of this board" and it would be understood that it's just their posts seem like they could have been written by a TwoHeadedBabyRatSnake. I'm getting tired of their posts, though. Sorry to insult the snake.

TwoHeadedBabyRatSnakeWacoTX.jpg

19. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Not entirely...

All of them?

Well, we do have ageism, racism, sexism... so why not evangelicanism?

20. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Maybe just the ones who insist on the rightness of legislating their religious convictions into federal law...